DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   24 - 4/16 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/200503-24-4-16-a.html)

Static Cling 04-16-02 07:00 PM

24 - 4/16

Before we get into the show... I've been spoiler-free for the past few episodes, and loving it. Tonight, I've got Fox News playing in the background while I'm surfing the 'Net... not Fox, not FX, but FOX NEWS... and a commercial for '24' comes on that basically would've completely spoiled me if I had been paying attention. I managed to avert my eyes for most of the commercial... but DANGIT. What do I have to do to avoid spoilers for this frickin' show?! I hate you, Fox commercial people. :mad:

*sigh*

Anyways. 24. Tonight. Rock on. Post your thoughts here!

Copenhagen 04-16-02 07:33 PM

Airs at midnight for those in the SF Bay Area due to a Giants game.

Venusian 04-16-02 08:11 PM

last week many people pointed out how tony got to the bauer house right away. some said that in episode one jack got to ctu right away. well today tony says it'll take him 20-30 minutes to get to CTU? is he already counting the trip to the clinic? i thought nina mentioned that afterwrods.

also, it got dark FAST, no twilight?

Venusian 04-16-02 08:32 PM

looks like patman was right about dennis hopper

madcougar 04-16-02 08:34 PM

I guess I was right . :)

This is turning into a really great episode

Venusian 04-16-02 08:53 PM

okay, i'm not watching the teaser and will try to avoid it....dont really see the point but i guess it'll make next week's episode more interesting :)

guildda 04-16-02 08:57 PM

Awesome episode. Only about 60 seconds of Terri too

kevin75 04-16-02 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Venusian
last week many people pointed out how tony got to the bauer house right away. some said that in episode one jack got to ctu right away. well today tony says it'll take him 20-30 minutes to get to CTU? is he already counting the trip to the clinic? i thought nina mentioned that afterwrods.

i was thinking about all of those things too. also, in middle of the show somewhere they gained 5 minutes because before the 2nd commercial they were 2 minutes behind my clock and then before the 3rd they were 3 minutes ahead.

anyway, this hour went by really really fast and i thought it was great. nice to get a break from teri and kim for awhile and focus on just jack. i can't wait for palmer to dump his wife (pleeeassse??) great epsiode! :thumbsup:

cynthia 04-16-02 09:05 PM

Originally posted by kevin75
i was thinking about all of those things too. also, in middle of the show somewhere they gained 5 minutes because before the 2nd commercial they were 2 minutes behind my clock and then before the 3rd they were 3 minutes ahead.
It's always been like that.

I loved this episode, but did they have to say "Dennis Hopper joins this episode" right before it started?

TK-421 04-16-02 09:08 PM

Woo... what a ride.. boy, things are starting to get more intense.. probably figured it would be that way.. Kim is now in the general prison population.. that would be too graphic for TV in real life ;)

Anyone find it difficult that a supposedly non-existent high-security prison would only have 2 real guards on duty?

guildda 04-16-02 09:33 PM

Originally posted by TK-421
Anyone find it difficult that a supposedly non-existent high-security prison would only have 2 real guards on duty?
I had the impression that if there were even any other prisoners at the prison, there were only 1 or 2. I of course could be completely wrong. But how many people would they have a need for a non existant prison?

nevermind 04-16-02 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Venusian

Yeah no kidding. It was like a switch was flipped :thumbsdown:

Other than that - good episode

AJW 04-16-02 11:09 PM

Great episode.

As far as the 20-30 minutes comment, I believe Tony was referring to how far away he was from CTU and not the clinic.

Tony told Nina that Teri's Friend Phil had been hit but not too badly.

Nina then asked him "where are you now" and he replied "20 ah 30 minutes away".

Nina then instructed him to go to the clinic.

It is possible Tony meant how far away he was from getting Phil some medical attention but I doubt it.

So unless Tony used a helicopter to get to Jack's House in the previous episode, I believe we have a major time/distance inconsistency here. Jack's house is not 5 minutes away from CTU and Teri should have bit the big one :)

cynthia 04-16-02 11:13 PM

Originally posted by AJW
So unless Tony used a helicopter to get to Jack's House in the previous episode, I believe we have a major time/distance inconsistency here. Jack's house is not 5 minutes away from CTU and Teri should have bit the big one :)
In the first episode it only took Jack about 3-5 minutes to get to CTU from his house.

Numanoid 04-16-02 11:51 PM

This was an exciting episode and I really like the show...BUT...a couple of questions:

1) Instead of worrying about Lou Diamond getting backup, why didn't Jack get on the phone and call CTU, the L.A.P.D., the National Guard, and anyone else he could think of and have them storm in?

2) Why in these situations (impending assault on the prison) do people feel the need to move? Anyone who's ever played a first-person shooter knows that the easiest way to dispatch intruders is to position yourself on one side of a doorway and pick them off one at a time as they come through. This was a concrete bunker, for crying out loud. Just sit in a room and nail them when they burst in.

Of course, I know the answers are "plot convenience" and "tension building", so I'm willing to accept a certain level of nuttiness.

huzefa 04-17-02 12:27 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
This was an exciting episode and I really like the show...BUT...a couple of questions:

2) Why in these situations (impending assault on the prison) do people feel the need to move? Anyone who's ever played a first-person shooter knows that the easiest way to dispatch intruders is to position yourself on one side of a doorway and pick them off one at a time as they come through. This was a concrete bunker, for crying out loud. Just sit in a room and nail them when they burst in.

But as anyone who's ever watched action movies or shows, being in a concrete bunker or "secure" environment doesn't necessarily mean you'll be safe. Either way, this episode was awesome.

Jeremy517 04-17-02 03:43 AM

Best episode in a while. THe last two episodes have renewed my faith in the show after 4 or so less than stellar episodes.

Please Fox, just let the show die after these 24 episodes. Let it go out on top.

das Monkey 04-17-02 06:00 AM

Better than usual. Still a little silly in parts. The way the characters grow from hour to hour is annoying. Yes, there should be some growth, but come on ... too many heart-to-heart talks in a day. Only brief mention of the fact these people have been awake for probably 30+ hours now. The concept is great, but they refuse to use it and instead try to make a conventional show disguised with this 24 premise. And by the sounds of what they're looking to next season, it'll be just like any other show.

Anyway, Lou Diamond Phillps was good. The episode flowed pretty well too. Hopper's accent sounded cheesy, but maybe it'll be better when he gets more air time. CTU guy leaving Jack in the desert was pretty silly. And like has been said, it took 15 seconds to go from bright afternoon to dark of night.

das

Patman 04-17-02 06:26 AM

Gotta wonder what Palmer is going to do with Lady McPalmer (I'm still hoping she gets bumped off by the assassins trying to do in Palmer). She was quite chilling to Palmer once the poll numbers came in and Palmer was going to get the party nomination.

Quoting me:

Pure speculation:

Going by the proposed theory from a previous post - Does anyone else think that by cutting the power on that specific grid, the Dennis Hopper character gets set free from some holding facility in the grid that the guy was supposed to shut off?

Could this just be a series of misdirections by the Drazen family to get the Hopper character set free? (Of course, nothing goes right for the Drazen family for the past 18 hours). That Palmer and Jack are also there for "easy" pickings might have just been a bonus for the revenge-minded family.
Damn, I'm good! :)

Gotta love the "Area 51" holding facility in the middle of Los Angeles.

I do find Tony's time to the Bauer's house and CTU to be mildly inconsistent with the rest of the series.

Why doesn't Kim get one phone call at the jail? She is still so stupid when it comes to Rick.

It was definitely one of the faster moving episodes up to now.

das Monkey 04-17-02 06:32 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Why doesn't Kim get one phone call at the jail? She is still so stupid when it comes to Rick.
I like how in the past 30 minutes, Rick has reevaluated his life and is ready to take responsibility for what he's done. Sure, why not. :)

das

Patman 04-17-02 06:47 AM

Well, facing a long prison term with the words "I'm going to be someone else's beeyotch" mentally tatooed on one's forehead does get that whole "redemptive" thing going with some guys...

das Monkey 04-17-02 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Well, facing a long prison term with the words "I'm going to be someone else's beeyotch" mentally tatooed on one's forehead does get that whole "redemptive" thing going with some guys...
I guess so, but actively kidnapping one girl and an accessory to murder for countless others (including another girl you've actively kidnapped) is a far cry from being in the vacinity of a drug deal. ;)

das

rfduncan 04-17-02 07:37 AM

Originally posted by kevin75
i can't wait for palmer to dump his wife (pleeeassse??) great epsiode! :thumbsup:
You'll have to... as her speech to him fairly correctly states, she will be there when he takes oath of office in January. This IS only the primary, but it would be safer at this juncture to avoid another potential political career-ending newconference where he now says he's divorcing his wife. At the very most he could divorce her after winning the presidential election... that is unless she gets bumped off in the next 4 hours and Palmer wins with the extra sympathy vote. ;)

I loved this episode! :D:beer::drool: Kim was hardly in it - her mantra should have been "Where's my phone call?!?!". Now she's waiting for some punk rockin' L.A. tough grrrrrl street ho' to jack her up in a holding cell. No Terri - is it possible her plotline is resolved? There are only four episodes left. We still have to unravelled some of what has happend (which is probably the entire final episode along with the Bauer family reunion).

Boo on FOX for spoiler Hopper's arrival! His name was deliberately left out of the opening credits (Lou Diamond was included) and they spoil it with "AND NOW DENNIS HOPPER JOINS THE CAST OF 24!" That is the ultimate in suck, FOX. The teasers at the end can be avoided. Not we have to keep our sets MUTED until the show actually starts?

LAME! :whofart::confused::mad::grunt:

kevin75 04-17-02 08:06 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan

You'll have to... as her speech to him fairly correctly states, she will be there when he takes oath of office in January. This IS only the primary, but it would be safer at this juncture to avoid another potential political career-ending newconference where he now says he's divorcing his wife. At the very most he could divorce her after winning the presidential election... that is unless she gets bumped off in the next 4 hours and Palmer wins with the extra sympathy vote. ;)

that may be the case, but somehow i wouldn't put it past the writers to come up with some sort of plot twist to get rid of that evil beeeyotch! they have portrayed palmer as a guy who will do what is right and in this case, that means dumping his wife. whether or not she is still alive at the end, i think she will be gone, period.

dgmayor 04-17-02 08:49 AM

Depending on how long they want to play out this part of Kim's story, it might be next episode or the one after before she gets a phone call.

For those that have never experienced the thrill of being arrested, they tend to go through all the processing and you sit in holding cell after holding cell before you get that phone call
(which is usually a phone in the final holding cell).

Seeing as it's LA, I'm sure it takes quite some time to process someone to the point where they get to their phone call.

Don't ask me why I know that ;)