TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

X-Files 4/14/02

Old 04-14-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Files 4/14/02

Hooboy. Only 13 minutes in before they used the M word, and boy did they use it. I think I counted at least 13 instances of someone mentioning Mulder.

It was an ok episode on its own, but why on gods green earth did they have to bring back that annoying blonde agent? Wow I hate her character.

I'm getting real sick of them telling me that there's only X episodes left and they STILL arn't explaining anything...

Yes I know, the show died already...some will say one season or another, but sue me, I still watch it in hopes that the final episode(s) will be good..
Old 04-14-02, 09:15 PM
Banned

Starting with next week's episode, its all mythology shows until the series finale.
Old 04-14-02, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Starting with next week's episode, its all mythology shows until the series finale.
They're going to wrap it all up in one episode???
Old 04-14-02, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2000th post!!!!!! WOO HOO!!!

Originally posted by mots2

They're going to wrap it all up in one episode???
No, they are wrapping up the mythology in the next 5 episodes.
Old 04-14-02, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i'm surprised nobody's mentioned the "i made this" line yet...

i mean, it's their production logo audio... too funny!! i cracked up!
-di doctor-
Old 04-15-02, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought it was a terrific episode. If they were all this good, I don't think people would be so down on the show. Including me. I thought it very much had the old X-Files feel to it. Funny, spooky, and well written for a change. I thought in the context of this episode mentioning Mulder was perfectly acceptable and often funny. I didn't feel it was manipulative at all. Very good show to build up to the final few shows.

Don't like them mentioning how many shows until the last episode? Wait until next year when Friends is coming to an end. "Only 19 more episodes until the very last friends."

Last edited by dolphinboy; 04-15-02 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-15-02, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm with dolphin boy on this one. I liked it. I also like it was Doggett's disbelief in the situation that saved him.

Plus the cure was a nice little poke at TV.
Old 04-15-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While that girl was asking, "What would Mulder and Scully do?" I was thinking: "What would Brian Boitano do?" So it was kinda funny to me.

It was better than some of the other episodes this season, but at least we're getting to the storyline shows here soon.
Old 04-15-02, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For an episode that had heavy-handed stabs at humor (Scully's portion of the episode), it was an okay episode, but nothing really great. It was good to see Leila Harrison show up, and I'm pretty sure it's just to prep the fans for Mulder's reappearance in the coming weeks. Her "wannabe" boyfriend diatribe on Mulder was a bit on the light side (Mulder this, Scully that). Having Harrison try to think like Mulder is always good for a laugh. The actual X-file case was run-of-the-mill, but Reyes did go through the wringer with a semi-homage to "Alien".
Old 04-15-02, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Patman
For an episode that had heavy-handed stabs at humor (Scully's portion of the episode), it was an okay episode, but nothing really great. It was good to see Leila Harrison show up, and I'm pretty sure it's just to prep the fans for Mulder's reappearance in the coming weeks. Her "wannabe" boyfriend diatribe on Mulder was a bit on the light side (Mulder this, Scully that). Having Harrison try to think like Mulder is always good for a laugh. The actual X-file case was run-of-the-mill, but Reyes did go through the wringer with a semi-homage to "Alien".
I seriously doubt this episode was made as a "prep" for the final five mythology episodes. It does work that way, but it seemed to be built up as a "hey, I guess Doggett and Reyes folks are pretty good at solving X-Files too!" Kinda a little to late to save the show and these characters.

I liked the episode overall except for the SUPER CHEESEY effects! They were as bad as say the 1st season, but my GOD! Had they just given up financing on the show completely?

Does anyone know which of the final 5 is the one directed by Duchovny and co-written by him and Carter?

Spoiler:
Also the trailer for next week is hinting that someone is going to die... also, I thought I saw Michael McKean in there somewhere. Was I imagining things?
Old 04-15-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan
Spoiler:
Also the trailer for next week is hinting that someone is going to die... also, I thought I saw Michael McKean in there somewhere. Was I imagining things?
If you want Super Spoilers on your question, here it is:

Spoiler:
Rumor for a long time has been that the Lone Gunman are going bye-bye next week. Why they decided on this I don't know, but they may finally deliver on the promise of someone(s) big actually dying.

And it's about damn time we get back to mythology episodes. Back when they started the episode countdown I was pretty excited, but since then all we've had is filler episodes it seems.

Anyone know when the 200th episode is? I remember seeing something on some program that had all of them, including Mulder, for photo shoots. Maybe that is the episode he is directing and co-writing.
Old 04-15-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoyable enough episode the little kid was creepy and having them all trapped at that house was good for the atmosphere. The references to old cases (2 that I caught) were humorous but really felt forced, kind of like the entire character of LELA. Better than most episodes I caught this season, the ending was a killer.

One thought would Scully really be turned from her lunch by a photograph? She is a jaded medical professional.

Looks like they are providing the LONE GUNMEN with some closure on next weeks episode, YES!
Old 04-15-02, 10:27 AM

it was a rip off of the Twilight Zone movie, the segment w/ Kathleen Quinlan. but still had creepy moments.

i do have a question though, how did Dogget escape the trap door and all the "roaches"? someone mentioned disbelief, but can i get more details?

i turned away during commercial and came back late.

TIA
Old 04-15-02, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by ktan1
it was a rip off of the Twilight Zone movie, the segment w/ Kathleen Quinlan. but still had creepy moments.

i do have a question though, how did Dogget escape the trap door and all the "roaches"? someone mentioned disbelief, but can i get more details?

TIA
Exactly what I was thinking!!!! Whoa....
Old 04-15-02, 12:10 PM

TIA
That's all there really was to the whole thing. He was covered by them and then the next scene he's in the hallway with good 'ol dad saying he figured it out.
Old 04-15-02, 12:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

TIA

Dogget had come to the conclusion that the "monsters" were manifested in the imagination. So, he simply took the mental position of "this isn't real" and the "monsters" that were attacking him disappeared. They never really explained anything about how the boy was able to plant the "monsters" into each individual's imagination though. The line to Dogget about figure this out was great... "Your lack of imagination saved our lives."
Old 04-15-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does anyone recognize that little boy from anything else?
he even seen to me like he might have played another character on the X-files before. I think I have seen him in something before and cannot place it. His evil little smile seemed so familiar....
Old 04-15-02, 02:15 PM

Does that mean the boy can telepathically project his nightmares into another person's mind? What about the fricking cat? And don't tv shows promo "more" nightmares by exposing the boy to more horrific images?
Old 04-15-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan

Does anyone know which of the final 5 is the one directed by Duchovny and co-written by him and Carter?

Duchovny is directing the Episode titled: William
Old 04-15-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DrRingDing
i'm surprised nobody's mentioned the "i made this" line yet...

i mean, it's their production logo audio... too funny!! i cracked up!
-di doctor-
i DID catch that! that was funny as hell.

didn't their production audio used to be "sit ubu sit...good dog"?
just curious, because that's been buried into my subconscious, although i do hear that boy saying "i made this" all the time too...
Old 04-15-02, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i thought the funniest part of the show was the ending, and how they "stifled" his imagination with 50 channels of tv.
Old 04-15-02, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what was the deal with the sheriff though??? did he die or not? was he real or not??? and why was muld...i mean doggett, able to punch through his stomach???
Old 04-15-02, 05:12 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by iawiaw
Does that mean the boy can telepathically project his nightmares into another person's mind? What about the fricking cat? And don't tv shows promo "more" nightmares by exposing the boy to more horrific images?

My take was that this is exactly what he was doing. The cat part bothered me a bit, but I just went with it.

My assumption is that the end was working with the common complaint that TV has lessened kids ability to imagine on thier own... in reading a book you decide to a degree how everyone/thing looks, sounds, etc. With TV, you are "spoonfed" all the information so you don't have to imagine things. Not saying that I agree with all of this, but some people do.
Old 04-15-02, 05:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by hahn
what was the deal with the sheriff though??? did he die or not? was he real or not??? and why was muld...i mean doggett, able to punch through his stomach???

My take is that is was mass hysteria being fed by the boy to everyone else via thier imagination. He disappeared because he hadn't really ever been there when he got hit and I guess the boy stopped "projecting" the image.
Old 04-15-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Dead

My take is that is was mass hysteria being fed by the boy to everyone else via thier imagination. He disappeared because he hadn't really ever been there when he got hit and I guess the boy stopped "projecting" the image.
but scully talked to the sheriff on the phone. she wouldn't have been by the hallucinations.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.