TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The X-Files 4/7

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The X-Files 4/7

Improbable

The agents rely on numerology, their powers of deduction and a mysterious stranger to help catch a serial killer.

Written and Directed by Chris Carter

Guest Star: Burt Reynolds
Old 04-07-02, 01:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uh, common sense says we have to watch the episode before we can talk about it.
Old 04-07-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
Bah!

Just getting the thread ready.
Old 04-07-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Common sense also says that Carter should have ended the series last year. But that didn't stop him (or me from watching it).
Old 04-07-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Burt Reynolds is back!
Old 04-07-02, 09:30 PM
Banned

Well, I thought it was freakin' funny!
Old 04-07-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty stupid episode, IMO. It looks like they're just filling time before the final shows.
Old 04-07-02, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Burt was ok, but overall this was pretty lame
Old 04-07-02, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I skipped it on purpose. I'm trying to keep my contempt for the series as it is now, down to a minimum so i can hopefully enjoy the last 2 or 3 episodes.
Old 04-08-02, 12:47 AM

I liked it... though I have a weird sense of humor so that may explain why. That music was something else.
Old 04-08-02, 02:09 AM

I liked it too- fun to see all the patterns. Not sure I completely understood the end though.
Old 04-08-02, 02:42 AM

Finally an episode I can at least laugh with! I dug it, great soundtrack even. This reminded me of the MIB epsiode many moons ago. Although, the checkers red and black for hair coloring analogy I thought was pretty damn lame.

I even like that they had to do some research on it as well--not numerology but unified theory.

Spoiler:
So was Burt the devil or god?

Last edited by superstringtheory; 04-08-02 at 02:53 AM.
Old 04-08-02, 03:55 AM
Banned

wow, this was the first comedy episode since season 7!
Old 04-08-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yet another breather episode marking time as we wind down the X-Files franchise on TV.

Burt Reynolds was his charming self as something akin to a force of nature when it comes to games of chance.

The dialog between FBI agents sounded like something out of plays with a bit of iambic pentameter tossed in. Doggett ruined that scene, though.

Reyes and her numerology theory breaks a serial killer case, and the rest of the episode is played for subtle laughs as Reyes and Scully are stuck in a garage with Reynolds, playing checkers.

Too bad they didn't explain the motivation as to why there would be 9 murders, or why the pattern was blonde, brunette, redhead. Was the serial killer compelled based on some equation that guided his action? The episode tried to convey that numerous times, but it sort of fell flat.

But, it was a pleasant episode to watch, as the agents became more and more puzzled by Reyes's magic number tricks.

Oh, did enjoy the music on the show.
Old 04-08-02, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by mots2

Spoiler:
So was Burt the devil or god?
Yeah? Anyone?
Old 04-08-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay - let me try to take a stab at this complex and well constructed epsiode (I wish I had taped it!).

There were series of 3's going on throughout the episode - visuals abounding with threes (three bangs on pipes by someone in the street, the dominos were blanks with multiples of three - six and three, three sixes (or now possibly NINES) in the numerologists bangs).

Scully sees a six domino marking on the numerologist (great to see Ellen Greene getting work - too bad she only had one real scene) when she starts the autopsy at 6:06pm which leads her to realize that the ring marking on all the victims was 666 - THREE SIXES (or possibly 999)...

The overall concept that Reyes eventually gets to is that there are three murders in each set of victims - Burt Reynolds tips them off to the "hair color" with the checker game. Reyes with black hair and Scully with red. Scully is going to be the final murder since her numerology number (later revealed by Reyes) is a nine - I think Reyes says Doggett is a six but what did she say she herself was? I think you can assume that the "number" for each victim in order is 3-6-9 (three sets of three).

The whole gist of the epsiode is that the killer is NOT planning the murders. It is a cold, unknowing calculation which leads to each - no research, hunting or investigation of the victim. The numbers are simply plunked into place automatically and the murder happens (which is why Reynolds says to the killer, Dwyane(?), in the beginning that the cards don't control the player the player needs to control the game because the cards are what they are - inattimate objects).

The NINE that Doggett discovers is turned "up" in the map of the murder victims at the FBI - they THOUGHT it was a six but it was an upside down NINE. Doggett must have realized this when puzzling over the death of the numerologist ("Her number was up" ) since she was the seventh victim which seemingly breaks the pattern of SIXES.

Was anyone able to translate the message after the opening credits which replaced "The Truth is out there"? It was three words, and I thought it said something about TRIO...

Overall this was a brilliantly constructed epsiode which I would LOVE to hear Carter give commentary on. I don't think I got half the number jokes and there was definitely something important about the music. The dialogue was trying to be metrical in some fashion which goes with the numbers too. There really was a LOT going on in the background. As for Reynolds' face at the end - don't ask me (kinda reminded me of a Moulin Rouge trick with the pan out - lots of overhead shots in this episode). I don't get it.

I thought the funniest moment was Scully trying to shoot off the combo lock - her way of trying to get around the numbers.

Last edited by rfduncan; 04-08-02 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-08-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Snake Plissken
not if you had studied your numerology
Old 04-08-02, 01:44 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

I vote for Burt as god. And on the show.
Old 04-08-02, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-08-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Damn, when are the mythology episodes going to begin? I don't think there has been once since the countdown began. I believe the last one was done before the countdown (when Scully's baby was kidnapped). Although I could be wrong.
Old 04-08-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the free will comment leads me to believe he was god.

cranky.
Old 04-08-02, 02:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by rfduncan
Was anyone able to translate the message after the opening credits which replaced "The Truth is out there"? It was three words, and I thought it said something about TRIO...

I think it was "Dio ti ama". I did a web search on the phrase and it appears to mean something along hte lines of "God loves you" (assuming I got the phrase right in the first place).
Old 04-08-02, 03:09 PM

i think there should have been subtitles for the whole Italian singing at the end. I have no idea what song they're even singing.
Old 04-08-02, 03:16 PM
Banned

Oh, did you see Burt on the zoom out at the end? I almost missed it because it flashed away rather quickly.
Old 04-10-02, 01:07 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by AgtFox
Damn, when are the mythology episodes going to begin?
Oh, good grief! You're actually looking FORWARD to more convoluted "mythology" episodes that'll never ever answer anything? The only ounce of my being that's locked in anticipation is my remaining, microscopic hope that Cigarette Smoking Man will somehow return.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.