Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

If only I could choose the Sci Fi programming schedule...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-02, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here's roughly how it would look:

Original series (prime time - aired once at 6pm, repeated at 9pm):
-Babylon 5: The Rangers
-Farscape
-The Invisible Man
-At least 2 other shows so I could have one on each day of the workweek
-When the season ends, the previous season will be shown in order in its timeslot - if you group the new episodes together with almost no weeks off, there will be enough time for this.
-All original shows to be released on dvd in season sets (at a reasonable price) within 1 year of the season ending.

Original miniseries/limited series:
-One part every sunday night until it was done, each segment two hours long. They would go all year round (with the occasional break) so there was always something great to see. I'd do projects like Robert Jordan's The Eye of the World and Terry Brooks' Shannara series, and would make them more like limited series that lasted 20 hours or so. Long enough to do justice to the source material.
-All miniseries to be released in box sets on dvd within one year of the series ending.

Movies: (Saturday nights)
-The original movies would air on saturday nights, on the weekends that didn't have an original miniseries on sunday night.
-Classic sci fi - Plan 9 from Outer Space and films like that would play at least once a month
-New sci fi/fantasy - newer films like The Matrix, Bladerunner, etc. would play at least once a month (OAR is a given)

Other TV Series:
-All shown in broadcast order, nothing trimmed for time, and all series runs in their entirety without skipping an episode or showing it out of order - and all broadcast in OAR. After a series is shown in its entirety, it will be shown again in approximately 6 months to a year so that those who missed it can have other chances.
-classic shows like Lost in Space
-super hero shows like Wonder Woman, Xena, Hercules, The Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, Bionic Man, Bionic Woman, etc.
-duds like Misfits of Science, Lone Gunmen, etc.
-80's classics like Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Quantum Leap, etc.
-"random" shows like Voyagers, Probe, etc.
-popular shows like B5, Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, and even yes, Voyager. Enterprise when it's ready for syndication)
-Series would have regular timeslots that people could depend on, with perhaps saturdays reserved for marathons. Depending on how many shows in the lineup and how many eps in the individual series, they would air 1-5 days per week. If time permitted, the most popular shows would get repeated at some point in the day, like at 7 am to facilitate timeshifters.

Fan choice:
-Every month fans get to have their input count towards a new project in development.
-If enough people write in/sign a petition (all run by SciFi to minimize "cheating") a series will be aired in one of the weekday slots or will be greenlighted for development, or will be reaired, etc.

Sigh. If only.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 04-05-02 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-05-02, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately, the Sci-Fi Channel's business model does not include viewers or profit, so I don't think they'd like this plan. I, however, would watch your channel.

das
Old 04-05-02, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Weekdays 10am-6pm : SciFi Land
6pm-630: SciFiWire

Monday
6:30pm 8pm: Star Trek TOS extended series(each show played in full with insights and extra vignettes hosted by cast members/guests)

8pm -9pm: Babylon 5 LOTR

9-10 Babylon5:Crusade

10pm-1am Babylon 5(3 episodes)

Tuesday
6:30pm 8pm Star Trek TOS extended series

8pm-9pm Farscape(Original Epsiodes)

9pm-10:30pm Farscape:Uncut (Older Episodes with added vignettes from the DVD's)

10:30- 12:30am SciFI Viewers Choice(slot picked from a poll on the website. Movies, Shows, Specials, etc)

Wednsday

8pm -0pm Battlestar Galactica(New Series)

9pm-10pm InvisibleMan

10pm -11pm Special Unit 2

11pm-12am Dr Who

Thursday

8pm-9pm Stargate SG -1

9pm-10pm The Specials (low budget superhero show)

10pm - 2am SciFI Double Feature(2 classic scifi films)

Friday

8pm-9pm Red Dwarf(New season)

9pm-11pm MST3k

11-12am Lexx

Saturday

9am - 12noon : SciFi Mega Animation Morning

12-8pm Mega MiniSeries(Entire Classic Miniseries Show)

8pm -10pm Original Movie/ New Miniseries

10pm-12am Original Movie/ New Miniseries

Sunday

9am-12am Replay of the weeks primetime schedule

12am -1am Exposure

I have a few holes but i think this would be a good start and still keeps the costs down. Only a few new medium budget shows and a couple that can be cheaply prpduced. The rest is off the shelf.

D
Old 04-05-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You forgot the best show Sci-Fi has sitting on the shelf:

AMERICAN GOTHIC !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-05-02, 12:23 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Sniff. I miss Lost in Space. THE PAIN!
Old 04-05-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

American Gothic, Forever Knight, Brimstone, etc would be played during SciFi Land. 1 day, 8 whole episodes.D
Old 04-05-02, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

My plan would begin with movie themed nights on Friday Sat and Sun... Begin the weekend with obscure stuff/an anime night on Fridays. Get poor old Joe Bob Briggs and give him a night hosting cheeseball 70, 80s, and I guess 90s horror/sci fi b-films on Saturdays. Then hire a group of good writers, the best Brains, ex-Simpsons people and such and have MST/host oriented shows showing/mocking classic cheesy sci-fi on Sundays.

Dedicate the weekdays to series reruns and original programming, Drop Lexx and all the "original programming/films" no one likes (Lexx and the X-Files conspiracy knockoff shows), and boost the series that get a real fanbase like Farscape and Dune mini... I would grab up Dr Who, too.

Last edited by Slumbering Fist; 04-05-02 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-05-02, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I've got the first 6 DVD's of Farscape so far and I'm wondering -- what is the new footage? I'm guessing that the shot of
Spoiler:
Zhaan naked from the back
in episode 3 or 4 was originally cut, but I can't see too much else that wouldn't have made it, unless it was sliced for time constraints -- ie. commercials.

Is there a site listing the differences anywhere or what?

thanks,
Tuan Jim
Old 04-05-02, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like all of your ideas, too, everyone. Didn't mean to leave any of the faves out like Crusade, Red Dwarf, Dr. Who, etc. - I was just in an insomniac rant.

And I know my lineup is probably insanely expensive, but it doesn't change the fact that it would make me a whole lot happier than the direction they're going in reality.

Anyone else have any ideas for the scifi channel? I'd love to hear 'em.
Old 04-05-02, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like most of the picks so far. Definitely fill up the daylight hours with the rerun's of older shows like Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, et, al.

Save the evening hours for new/original programing, marathon's movies, etc.

Along the same lines as WP, I think mini series based on scifi/fantasy, and possibly even horror, novels would be grand. They don't have the $$$ to do justice to a major motion picture, but a mini series might be doable.

I would love to see more original animation programming as well.

I think that all shows of a scifi/fantasy nature should eventually find a home here.

Some ideas I have for new programming: I would like to see another series in the Highlander universe. As much as I liked the Amanda character, there was not a lot of effort put into Raven. Watching the fight scenes I kept think how much better Adrian Paul was and how much Elizabeth Gracen sucked. The fights were lame and even I could tell she didn't appear that strong or that good with a sword. They had Amanda in security at one point and now they have her back to being a thief. They should have made her this high end security consultant or something interesting along those lines. Who knows? Or maybe just do a show about Methos.

I would love some original sword and scorcery shows. Something with more than just T & A, but some good storytelling. Maybe the once purposed Dragonriders of Pern?

Rangers/Crusade - nuff said.

Kindred:The Embraced - I know that Mark Frankel is dead, but hello! Lots of other places in the world and stories to tell. Let's work on getting the clan characteristics correct and do a kick butt show.

There's lots of good talent out there, they just have to find it. Ron Moore left ST and was working on Roswell, he'd be good for them to scoop up.
Old 04-06-02, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
good picks
Old 04-08-02, 11:44 AM
Cool New Member

Tuan Jim --

The Tourist's Guide to the Uncharted Territories lists some of the differences between the US/Non-US airings here, but they only have the first season listed. Their episode guide is worth checking out, as well.
Old 04-09-02, 12:05 AM

Bad news regarding B5 LOTR

I just gotten word from Dark Horizons.com that JMS confirmed in a Usenet post that Sci-Fi channel is moving away from space-oriented shows and is not picking up the TV movie as a spin-off series.
Old 04-09-02, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Bad news regarding B5 LOTR

Originally posted by DJ_Spyder
I just gotten word from Dark Horizons.com that JMS confirmed in a Usenet post that Sci-Fi channel is moving away from space-oriented shows and is not picking up the TV movie as a spin-off series.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...72#post2247700

More accurately, that they haven't said anything about Rangers, which implies no series.

das
Old 04-09-02, 04:37 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

I like what's already been mentioned, but I'd like to see more sci-fi cartoons. Planet of the Apes, Star Trek, Transformers, Voltron, stuff from other another country...something, anything...as long as it's animated and science fiction related, I'd be happy.
Maybe some Spectreman and Ultraman too.
Old 04-09-02, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wouldn't mind that either. Animation is good. Anime would be good too.