Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The American Embassy 4/1/02

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-02, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The American Embassy 4/1/02

This episode dealt with Emma's battle with "love" and how everywhere she looks, "love" seems fleeting and elusive.

I am liking the show more and more, but it's also a little bit on the generic side. Emma Broady, as played Arija Bareikis, is very likeable, quirky, a bit of a romantic, but also very much a realist. Unfortunately it does have just a twinge of "Ally McBeal in England" feel to it, but the goofiness is turned down quite a few notches.

The supporting cast is okay, no one quite stands out yet. The office politics in the Embassy just confirms that it's basically the same everywhere. Same story, different setting.

I do think Emma's relationship with Doug is sweet, but doomed. They do have nice chemistry together. Last night's episode was a vehicle to totally write Emma's former fiance' out of the picture by getting him married to what appears to be a green-card-digger of an English lass with a Page 3 history.

Some of the issues that embassy workers have to deal with should provide plenty of low level chuckles due to the predicament it places the embassy workers, mainly Emma.

The "Whitney Lane" letters did give Emma a reason to believe in "love" even after all of the curve balls life has thrown her way in the past few months.

I don't hold out much hope for this show to return next season, but it's a treat to see some of the backdrop scenery of England on a weekly basis.
Old 04-02-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like a few members of the supporting cast, especially the English guy who works at the Embassy, he is very goofy but likeable.

I also like Gary, her drag-queen neighbor.

Does the head of the embassy remind anyone else of Judi Dench as Q in the recent Bond movies?

I am not a fan of Doug's. He strikes me as a poor woman's George Clooney. I'd rather see Emma hook up with Lord Wellington.
Old 04-02-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Does the head of the embassy remind anyone else of Judi Dench as Q in the recent Bond movies?
I think you mean M, not Q.
Old 04-02-02, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by dfbennett

I think you mean M, not Q.
Doh! You're right of course. I'm still half-asleep.
Old 04-02-02, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Already cancelled. Total eps shown: 3

Fox, UPN cut 3 faltering series

Also dead in this announcement: UPN's Under One Roof, and their rebroadcasts of Amazing Race 2. Total eps shown: 2 each.

And they wonder why no one pays any attention when they hype a new show.
Old 04-02-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Boo!
Old 04-02-02, 01:09 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
Already cancelled. Total eps shown: 3

Fox, UPN cut 3 faltering series

Also dead in this announcement: UPN's Under One Roof, and their rebroadcasts of Amazing Race 2. Total eps shown: 2 each.

And they wonder why no one pays any attention when they hype a new show.
What did they expect, putting "Under One Roof" and the "TAR2" rebroadcast on Friday evening? Not exactly a prime spot.

Too bad about "The American Embassy"... I thought it had potential. Two more shows falling under the "we're not even going to give you a chance" axe...
Old 04-02-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm bummed they aren't going to show the last 2 episodes. They were already showing in my ReplayTV guide for next week.

This show made me want to work in an embassy, much like L.A. Law and shows like that made me wish I went to law school.

I like shows that give you a glimpse of a workplace, and this aspect of the show was pretty original.
Old 04-02-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In between embassy, it did seem like a cool place to work and snog.
Old 04-02-02, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh shoot. I was begining to look forward to Mondays at 9. I'm not going to die, but I'm very disappointed it will no longer see the light of day.

Oh well...there is still Ally McBeal...for now.
Old 04-03-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not that I particularly loved this show, but it was starting to show some potential. This last episode was pretty good too. Grr.

das
Old 04-04-02, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

GRRRRRR!!!!!

I liked this show - it had definite potential. This ridiculous "opening weekend" mentality (thanks to whomever described it that way in another thread) angers me to no end. What do they expect?!? Marketing campaigns seem to suck these days, cr@ppy timeslots are chosen, and/or cast and writers aren't given any time to find their pace. Three friggin episodes?!? That's all we get? Ridiculous. Makes me not want to watch any new shows at all. I want to know what happens between Emma and Lord Wellington and/or Emma and Doug. I was rooting for Wellington, btw.

When will the *geniuses* at the networks figure out that if you put a show in a bad timeslot with bad marketing and never give the cast a chance to gel and expect blockbuster ratings right away (and CONTINUOUSLY) that maybe one out of 30 shows will survive. And the chances of that show being original and engaging are slim. So what - we get more Ally? While I still watch Ally, and while it *has* gotten a bit more interesting since I like the chemistry with Jon bon Jovi (not as much as Robert Downey Jr., but decent nonetheless) - it is becoming pretty tired. Time for something new, and I was hoping American Embassy would be it. Just ocurred to me that they're cancelling it before I can find out the whole story with the boss and the new transferee.