Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

O'Reilly Factor - Rosie O'Donnell (Rebroadcast) - 3/29/02 - 8pm/11pm

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O'Reilly Factor - Rosie O'Donnell (Rebroadcast) - 3/29/02 - 8pm/11pm

Unless you live in a cave, you've heard about this episode of The O'Reilly Factor. It aired a few days ago, and Shepard Smith said the next day, "it's the best hour of television we've done since the Fox News Channel began." Whether you love or hate the hypocritical monster that is Rosie O'Donnell, you should tune into this. They are rebroadcasting it tonight at 8pm EST and again at 11pm EST. Some things may surprise you.

das
Old 03-29-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Spoiler:
lots of backstepping by her over previous hypocritical comments, admits that she makes rash irrational decisions based on the emotion of the instant, instead of thinking and using logic, admits to suffering from depresion (maybe that's why she shouldn't adopt regardless of being a lesbian)
Old 03-29-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The best part about this whole episode is this piece of Viewer Mail:

Mr. O'Reilly, I am ten years old and my mom and I watch The Factor all the time. My older brother doesn't like you, but that's okay - he's not very smart.
Anyway, I've been very vocal in my opinion of Rosie O'Donnell, and it's somewhat refreshing to see her recognize how hypocritical and absurd some of her comments have been. She still has a LONG way to go in my opinion, but it's a start, and I'll be interested to see if she stands behind those comments or descends back into her old ways.

While I liked much of what she said, one thing that pissed me off was the way she criticized other celebrities for using their talk shows to promote their political agenda. That's precisely what she's done multiple times, invitings guests with the specific purpose of attacking their political beliefs. It's nice that she is seeing how hypocritical she's been over the years, but she still has a way to go.

das
Old 03-29-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Going to set it on the Tivo for 11pm since I missed the 8pm airing.
Old 03-29-02, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eternia
Thanks for the heads up. Going to set it on the Tivo for 11pm since I missed the 8pm airing.
No problem. Hope you enjoy it.

das
Old 03-29-02, 08:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TiVoed it @ 8 PM, but haven't watched it yet. I'm surprised that she would admit her faults like that... very refreshing.

While I liked much of what she said, one thing that pissed me off was the way she criticized other celebrities for using their talk shows to promote their political agenda. That's precisely what she's done multiple times, invitings guests with the specific purpose of attacking their political beliefs.
Who was that guest she ambushed about the NRA & gun control? I remember that it was a pretty big deal. Or do I have to be more specific?
Old 03-29-02, 08:51 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

First, thanks for the heads up. I missed the original airing.

I was surprised. Rosie came off a lot differently then I would have thought, but more surprising-so did O'Reilly. It was odd to hear Rosie say something along the lines of "Yeah, I jump the gun w/o thinking in relation to some of my comments." Although, did you notice she tried to "justify" them with saying that she made the comments as a parent/mother? As far as I know most parents love their kids, but still have the ability to remain clear thinking, and not be so damned hypocritical. Moving on...While it was nice to hear her admit some of her comments were idiotic, I didn't completely buy all of what she said. IMO, at times it looked like she was trying to portray her self as a kinder gentler Rosie. Whether it was to drum up support or another reason, to me her tone and words implied some type of ulterior motive ( I know, I'm a cynic). On the other hand, I do believe she had a change of heart to a degree.
It will be interesting to see if she actual begins to live this way, or fall back to "typical" Rosie.
To O'Rielly...was he less confrontational then he usually is? At one point I thought the two of them were going to hug and kiss and walk of the set holding hands. Maybe it's not as easy to rip into someone face to face.
Old 03-29-02, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling

Who was that guest she ambushed about the NRA & gun control? I remember that it was a pretty big deal. Or do I have to be more specific?
Tom Selleck
Old 03-29-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pac-Rat,

I feel the same way you do on many fronts. As obnoxious as I am, I'm a pretty forgiving person, so I'm going to extend the benefit of the doubt to Rosie. But I agree. It's difficult to tell if she's being honest or just saying what we want to hear. I think the former is the case, but considering her past, the latter would not surprise me either. I guess we will see. For now, though, I'll assume the best and wait.

As for O'Reilly, I've never found him to be that antagonistic without too much reason. He's very arrogant and opinionated, but he's pretty civil to his guests as long as they don't lie to him or start to spin a story. If they start distorting facts, that's when he pounces ... and fiercely. I don't agree with a lot of his ideas about various issues, but he does a great job of exposing people who are full of sh|t. But you're right; there was a point with Rosie where they looked like they were about to sing Kumbaya. I'm guessing he sensed how emotional she was getting and didn't see a point in pushing it. As annoying as he is, he's not there to antagonize the guest as much as he wants to expose the bullsh|tters for what they are.

das
Old 03-29-02, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
as for her celebrity's using their fame for their agenda, didn't she also admit that she did it, and that we shouldn't listen to her either? (I saw the first showing so it's kind of fuzzy in my memory)

Selleck on Rosie
(got this off some dude's site, might not be 100% accurate)
Transcript of Tom Selleck
& Rosie O'Donnell's NRA Discussion
transcribed by Otherone
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rosie: We're here with Tom Selleck who's a member of the NRA. Three months ago you joined the NRA.
Tom: I did. I actually joined to do an ad. Because, I've done a lot of consensus work for like the last 7 to 8 years and what disturbs me and I think disturbs a lot of Americans is the whole idea of politics now-a-days which seems to be, 'if you disagree with me, you must be evil' as opposed to 'if you disagree with me, you must be stupid'. That's very American.
You know, the demonizing of a group like the NRA is very disturbing. And that coupled with the idea that the government is getting into the idea of suing. We did it for noble reasons with tobacco. I think it was a mistake. Then they moved to gun makers, now they're suing television shows. Oliver Stone there's a suit on his movie.
I think the First Amendment, the Second Amendment, and all of the Bill of Rights are extremely important. And somebody needs to stand up at times where... maybe some of our politicians are demagogue-ing issues. Reasonable people should disagree in this country; we should celebrate that, not consider it a threat.
Rosie: Right, but I think that the reason that people are so extreme against the NRA is because the NRA has such a militant strength, especially a power in Washington to veto or to stronghold any sensible gun law. They have been against every sensible gun law, until yesterday, including trigger locks, so that children, which there are 500 a year that die, don't get killed.
Tom: I'm not a spokesman for the NRA. In fact, all I can tell you is, I was a member when I was kid. I was a junior NRA member. I learned firearm safety. And from what I can see in the last three months, they don't do a lot of the stuff that you assume that they do.
Rosie: I don't assume.
Tom: They are for trigger locks. The NRA is for a lot of things as long as they're voluntary.
Rosie: They're against the registering of guns. We have to register cars. Why shouldn't we register guns so that when a crime is committed we can trace who has owned it?
Tom: You know, I understand how you feel. This is a really contentious issue. Probably as contentious, and potentially as troubling as the abortion issue in this country. All I can tell you is, rushes to pass legislation at a time of national crisis or mourning, I don't really think are proper. And more importantly, nothing in any of this legislation would have done anything to prevent that awful tragedy in Littleton.
What I see in the work I've done with kids is, is troubling direction in our culture. And where I see consensus, which is I think we ought to concentrate on in our culture is... look... nobody argues anymore whether they're Conservatives or Liberal whether our society is going in the wrong direction. They may argue trying to quantify how far it's gone wrong or why it's gone that far wrong, whether it's guns, or television, or the Internet, or whatever. But there's consensus saying that something's happened. Guns were much more accessible 40 years ago. A kid could walk into a pawn shop or a hardware store and buy a high capacity magazine weapon that could kill a lot of people and they didn't do it.
The question we should be asking is... look... suicide is a tragedy. And it's a horrible thing. But 30 or 40 years ago, particularly men, and even young men, when they were suicidal, they went, and unfortunately, blew their brains out. In today's world, someone who is suicidal sits home, nurses their grievance, develops a rage, and is just a suicidal but they take 20 people with them. There's something changed in our culture. That's not a simple...
Rosie: But you can't say that guns don't bear a responsibility. If the makers of the TEC-9 assault rifle... Why wouldn't the NRA be against assault rifles? This is a gun that can shoot five bullets in a second. This is the gun that those boys brought into the school. Why the NRA wouldn't say as a matter of compromise, 'we agree, assault weapons are not good'?
Tom: I'm not... I can't speak for the NRA.
Rosie: But you're their spokesperson Tom, so you have to be responsible for what they say.
Tom: But I'm not a spokesperson. I'm not a spokesperson for the NRA.
Rosie: But if you put your name out and say, 'I, Tom Selleck...
Tom: Don't put words in my mouth. I'm not a spokesperson. Remember how calm you said you'd be? Now you're questioning my humanity.
Rosie: No, not your humanity. I think you're a very humane man. I'm saying that if you...
Tom: Let's just say that I disagree with you but I think you're being stupid.
Rosie: But you can't say that I will not take responsibility for anything the NRA represents if you're saying that you're going to do an ad for the NRA.
Tom: Really?
Rosie: You can't say that. Do you think you can?
Tom: Look... you're carefully skirting the issue. It's an act of moral vanity, Rosie, to assume that someone who disagrees with your political agenda to solve our problems, cares any less or is any less shocked...
Rosie: I never said you cared less.
Tom: Well, let me finish...
Rosie: Tom, I don't think you cared less. Nor do I think the men in the NRA cared less.
Tom: The women too.
Rosie: And the women. I simply said, why can there not be a compromise on the issue...
Tom: There IS a compromise! There's a compromise in enforcing laws. There's a compromise with not allowing kids with guns in school. The problem is, and what you don't seem to realize... you seem to have some sort of... look, we all hang out with people we agree with. And you have a one very one-sided view of the fact of what you don't understand...
Rosie: As does the NRA and the people you hang out with at the NRA have a one-sided view as well.
Tom: I don't hang out with people of the NRA...
Rosie: OK, well, you're saying that I hang out with people with my views. I'm just saying...
Tom: I said people tend to...
Rosie: We all tend to. The NRA does and the un-NRA does.
Tom: You know, this is a nice one-sided conversation but you keep interrupting me. Remember how civil you said we were going to be?
Rosie: I let you talk for four minutes without saying one thing! I did. I didn't say one thing! I simply asked a question on what their philosophies are. And you don't want to...
Tom: I told you... look, when do you want to get to television and violence...
Rosie: I agree! I agree.
Tom: ...and game shows...
Rosie: Game shows?
Tom: ...and how do you reconcile...
Rosie: You mean video games? I agree!
Tom: Please let me finish! Let me say just one thing. What you're really talking about... at least what I'm talking about... is are we a responsible enough society, in terms of television, in terms of guns, in terms of everything else, to be this free? That should frame the debate. My answer unfortunately, in this culture, is 'probably not'. But I'm going to down with the Civil Liberties ship, and all the Bill of Rights, and apply them equally. That's the way I feel. You can ask me specific questions about anything, but it's simply stupid political rhetoric.
Rosie: Well, it's not stupid political rhetoric. We also have freedom of speech, but you're not allowed to scream 'fire' in a crowded movie theater because it threatens the safety of other people.
Tom: I understand.
Rosie: Assault weapons threaten the safety of other people. There's no reason, in my opinion, to have them. You want to have a hunting rifle? Great! You want to have a handgun?
Tom: Do you really think the Second Amendment to the Constitution to guarantee hunting and target shooting? Do you really think that's what the Founding Fathers meant?
Rosie: I think the Second Amendment is in the Constitution so that we can have muskets when the British people come over in 1800. I don't think it's in the Constitution to have assault weapons in the year 2000. But I'm wrong? I guess...
Tom: (nods his head)
Rosie: You know, this is the problem. Here's what happens. The people with opposing views, there is no compromise because, you feel attacked, I feel attacked. You feel less understood...
Tom: I haven't attacked you. I've disagreed with you.
Rosie: And I've disagreed with you as well. But mine comes in the form of attacking because...
Tom: I haven't mentioned assault weapons once. I haven't mentioned a lot of things once. The nature of this debate... I didn't come on your show to have a debate. I came on your show to plug a movie. That's what's I'm doing here.
Rosie: And that's what we did.
Tom: If you think it's proper to have a debate about the NRA, I'm trying to be fair with you.
Rosie: As I am trying to...
Tom: But this is absurd. You're calling me a spokesman for the NRA.
Rosie: Tom, if you are a celebrity and you're doing an ad that says, 'I am the NRA', then what should have been...
Tom: Have you read the ads?
Rosie: I have read the ads.
Tom: Good.
Rosie: Did you read the ads?
Tom: I said them. I read them when I say them.
Rosie: Well, I do too. Well, this is not supposed to be a personal...
Tom: Well it's certainly very entertaining, look at the audience, they're just laughing and having a great old time.
Rosie: Well it's a serious subject. I don't think it's a lot to laugh about.
Tom: Well, that's fine.
Rosie: All right, well, this has not gone the way I had hoped it had gone. But, I would like to thank you for appearing anyway, knowing that we have differing views. I was happy that you decided to come on the show. And if you feel insulted by my questions, I apologize, because it was not a personal attack. I was meant to bring up the subject as it is in the consciousness of so many today. That was my intent. And if it was wrong, I apologize to you, on a personal level.
Tom: It's your show and you can talk about it after I leave too.
Rosie: Well, I thought I would give you an opportunity to discuss your side of it. Which is what I hope that I did. And if I was wrong I'm sorry. (Tom looks away from Rosie) Well, obviously, it didn't do much good.
Old 03-29-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well Rosie, since 1968 there has been a federal registration of guns (commonly called the "yellow form" which might be Form 4473, not sure)

edit:yup, form 4473
http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f4473pt1.pdf

Rosie: They're against the registering of guns. We have to register cars. Why shouldn't we register guns so that when a crime is committed we can trace who has owned it?

Last edited by mikehunt; 03-29-02 at 11:38 PM.
Old 03-29-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

As for O'Reilly, I've never found him to be that antagonistic without too much reason. He's very arrogant and opinionated, but he's pretty civil to his guests as long as they don't lie to him or start to spin a story. If they start distorting facts, that's when he pounces ... and fiercely.
das
Yes, but facts can be spinned to suit one's own idealogy, and Mr. O'Reilly is guilty of that himself. (That and I have a hard time taking Mr. "Inside Edition" very seriously in any manner)

Oh....and for the record, I have been living under a rock, this thread is the first I've heard of this whole thing.
Old 03-29-02, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the post, mikehunt. The written transcript unfortunately doesn't really do justice to the actual interview which was pretty hostile, but it's still great to relive that interview. Tom really didn't want any part of the discussion since he was there to plug a film, not speak for the NRA, and she was just hovering in his face ready to pounce on his every word. It was really uncomfortable to watch. Without the audio/video, you can't really see the polite and frustrated demeanor of Selleck mixed with the mocking and aggressive style of O'Donnell. He was not prepared at all for this ambush, and she pissed a lot of people of with this.

Luckily, anyone who has voiced any support of the NRA (Karl Marlone, etc) is banned from her show along with anyone who's ever done a parody (the entire cast of Mad TV, et. al.).

das
Old 03-29-02, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by clemente
Yes, but facts can be spinned to suit one's own idealogy, and Mr. O'Reilly is guilty of that himself. (That and I have a hard time taking Mr. "Inside Edition" very seriously in any manner)
As he'll point out himself, he doesn't spin - he voices his opinion. Yes, he cites facts that support that opinion, but he doesn't "spin" them to mean something that they're not. If you take an issue with 5 facts that support it and 5 facts that oppose it, and you focus mainly on the 5 facts that fit your ideology, that's not spin so long as the 5 facts you cite are independently valid. That's what he does. To spin is to cite certain aspects of a fact or facts that distort or distract from the overall meaning to present a false sense of the truth to support your position. He is guilty of being very opinionated and citing facts to support that opinion, but he's not guilty of spin.

das
Old 03-29-02, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone know an email address for Rosie?
the official show site doesn't have one that I can find
Old 03-29-02, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mikehunt
anyone know an email address for Rosie?
the official show site doesn't have one that I can find
The Rosie O'Donnell Show
Telephone (212) 506-3200
Fax (212) 506-3249
http://rosieo.warnerbros.com/

Telepictures Productions (Producers of Rosie's show)
Telephone (818) 972-0777
Fax (818) 972-0864
[email protected]

Don't get arrested, now.

das
Old 03-30-02, 12:48 AM

As he'll point out himself, he doesn't spin - he voices his opinion. Yes, he cites facts that support that opinion, but he doesn't "spin" them to mean something that they're not. If you take an issue with 5 facts that support it and 5 facts that oppose it, and you focus mainly on the 5 facts that fit your ideology, that's not spin so long as the 5 facts you cite are independently valid. das
but if you completely dismiss any facts that differ from your own view simply because they differ from your own view without regard to evidence, that is spin. My problem with O'Reilly is that he will accuse anyone he disagrees with of attempting to "spin" an issue simply because they have a different view than he does.

One thing O'Reilly does that many others don't is being willing to admit that he is a commentator instead of a journalist, but for him to claim that he doesn't spin the facts to suit his opinion is a lie. If you choose to knowingly omit valid evidence that goes against your opinion it is spin. For this reason I believe Chris Mathews is the best commentator on television right now. While he is definitely liberal, he always lets his guests have their say, and whether the guest supports his view or not, he will challenge them if they say something questionable. O'Reilly only challenges those who disagree with him.
Old 03-30-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yup, at least Chris Matthews lets you finish your sentences.
Old 03-30-02, 05:50 PM

-Just want to preface my comments by saying I only watch O'Reilly 2-3 times a week, so what I say is based on that.

Originally posted by slappypete

but if you completely dismiss any facts that differ from your own view simply because they differ from your own view without regard to evidence, that is spin.
I don't believe he does that. From my observation he uses the facts that support where he stands on a given issue (or what makes good tv). Generally speaking he doesn't really "dismiss" anything, he ommits things that don't support the angle of the story.

My problem with O'Reilly is that he will accuse anyone he disagrees with of attempting to "spin" an issue simply because they have a different view than he does.

Yeah, I think he uses the word too loosely, but I think he's correct a large percent of the time.

One thing O'Reilly does that many others don't is being willing to admit that he is a commentator instead of a journalist, but for him to claim that he doesn't spin the facts to suit his opinion is a lie. If you choose to knowingly omit valid evidence that goes against your opinion it is spin.

Sorry, spin to me is twisting or exaggerating the facts or quotes, (and in instances "dismissing" them) to suit your needs. James Carville does it, Rush Limbaugh does it.

To be honest I think this whole thing is just a matter a semantics.

Since I don't feel I could say what I want to and keep it on topic of TV, and the last Rosie thread bled into areas not appropriate for tv talk, as the mod pointed out in that thread, I'll keep my comments about Mathews to myself.
Old 03-30-02, 06:09 PM

Pac-Rat,

As for O'Reilly, I've never found him to be that antagonistic without too much reason. He's very arrogant and opinionated, but he's pretty civil to his guests as long as they don't lie to him or start to spin a story.
I think we'll have to agree to disagree in terms of O'Reilly's personality.
I find the way he presents himself (tone of voice, body language and so on) to be in a confrontational style. Regardless if I agree with him politically or not, I have trouble watching his interviews.
I like confrontation as much as the next person, I just don't care for the way he does it.
Old 03-30-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I think we'll have to agree to disagree in terms of O'Reilly's personality.
I find the way he presents himself (tone of voice, body language and so on) to be in a confrontational style. Regardless if I agree with him politically or not, I have trouble watching his interviews.
I like confrontation as much as the next person, I just don't care for the way he does it.
Yeah, he's pretty confrontational. I just think he's pretty reasonable when the guest isn't trying to spin things around. If a guest just disagrees with him, he seems to be pretty reasonable. But I can definitely see how people wouldn't like it. Sometimes he gets on my nerves too.

As for the spin issue, there's a difference between debating and spinning. To cite independently valid facts that support your opinion (no matter how aggressive or obnoxiously he does it) is simply debating. It's when you only cite specific aspects of a fact that distort from its original purpose that it becomes spin. No debater of any value would volunteer facts that don't support his opinion. That's the guest's responsibilty.

das
Old 03-31-02, 12:13 AM

No debater of any value would volunteer facts that don't support his opinion. That's the guest's responsibilty.

das
But he isn't just debating, he is also moderating so he controls how much conflicting information gets out. I feel that if you invite a person on to debate an issue, there should be an actual debate. There usually isn't debate on The O'Reilly Factor, which is fine since it isn't really a news show as much as it is commentary, I simply feel there are other shows that are a little more tolerant of real debate than the Factor.

I don't think it is necessary for O'Reilly to give the guest equal time to respond, after all it is "The O'Reilly Factor" and people are more interested in his opinion than his guests, but I think that since O'Reilly gets to make his point without interuption, the guest should be allowed a couple minutes to make his/her point without interuption. After that, if O'Reilly feels the guest is being dishonest, or "spinning" an issue by all means question the guest, but at least allow the guest get a complete thought out.

Last edited by slappypete; 03-31-02 at 12:22 AM.
Old 03-31-02, 08:40 AM
Banned

Now I understand how Bill Clinton got 8 years in office.
When people don't like the way Bill O'Reilly presents the truth.
In the U.S. people would rather be b.s. with charm, than told the truth with rage. No wonder the liberial media is around.
Old 03-31-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sort of glad I don't make a point to watch any of the shows like The Factor or Chris Matthews show because my blood pressure is so much lower for it.

I have to wonder if Rosie departure from her show in a few months has made her want to "go more mainstream" and not tout the liberal party line while she was on the air. Basically it comes down to if Rosie is doing the reversal for "power" reasons now that her soapbox is being retired. (An analogy - a guy goes his whole life committing all sorts of sins, and at the last moment of his life, accepts a higher power, and supposedly that absolves him of his past transgressions and opens the doorway into heaven for him). Is this what's going on?
Old 03-31-02, 01:54 PM

For anyone interested in discussing/debating politics and other topics usually seen on news analysis shows like O'Reilly's, head over to the forums at http://www.nospinzone.net

NoSpinZone.net is a forum site a few friends and I are just now setting up. We made it because we have looked around quite a bit but have yet to find a good board (like DVDtalk) that's actually dedicated to an intelligent discussion on politics and whatnot with all sides represented. It's especially frustrating to want to talk about some of these topics we see on O'Reilly but have no places to do so!

Anyway, the board is just now getting finished, so we have not advertised, are not in search engines, and there are no posts yet ... but I believe they have signup/registeration enabled now - so stop by if you are interested and get a discussion going!

http://nospinzone.net

Thanks!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.