Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Fox, Bravo, and other cable channels to stop censoring?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-02, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I heard the tail end of this story. Does anyone know anything about it???

I think it makes sense.

I think I'm old enough to handle a tit or an F#ck on cable.
Old 03-29-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Robo! Long time, no talk!

I agree. I think they should put warnings at the beginning of the show and when you come back from commercial, have the rating tag in the corner for 30 secs. This way, parents are given a heads up and we adults can see things as they should be.

Ummmm, can I get a Giantrobo hug? Ain't had one in a while.
Old 03-29-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
I have not heard this. Does someone have a new link? Where did you hear this from?
Old 03-29-02, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before cable TV there would, of course, be concern about the over-the-air content of material broadcast to “every home in America.” God help us if we should be surfing through our six or seven channels and accidentally spot a nipple or hear the “F-bomb”!! We needed to be protected from such things.

But cable TV is not “broadcast” TV and should not be subject to the same FCC regulations. Moreover, we are paying for this service and have the option to disconnect at any time. Add to this the structured system that most cable companies have in which these channels are usually a premium choice. So you’re paying an additional amount for this.

If any “premium” commercial-laced channel decided to use uncensored material, those who object and are too stupid to avoid the channel can just cancel the package that contains that/those channels. [Whatever happened to the “V chip”??]

Cable TV is NOT a right, it is a choice. Having premium channels is NOT a right, it is a choice.

But being able to see tits in all their naked glory SHOULD be a right!
Old 03-29-02, 09:21 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
I agree. I think these channels (if not more) should stop censoring everything.
Old 03-29-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Censorship on cable. It's all about the ad revenue. The premium movie channels don't censor. Why? They don't rely on ad revenue.

No, the FCC doesn't have its claws in cable TV, but economics does.

I'd like to see some channels take the plunge, but I don't see it happening with more than a handful of channels.
Old 03-29-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This would makes sense since Bill O'reilly was just on Fox(broadcast, not cable) last night ranting about how all media was responsible for 'The corruption of the American Child!'.
Old 03-29-02, 10:27 AM
Banned

I wonder if they stopped censoring stuff if those shows ratings would go up or not? also would they start showing movies in widescreen/letterbox?
Old 03-29-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
No, the FCC doesn't have its claws in cable TV...
Can't agree with that. Several years ago there was an FCC blackout rule that prevented "competing" programming (I don’t recall what it was called). An example: “Star Trek” TOS from WGN was blacked out in LA because it was being shown on a local channel here. It didn’t seem to matter that the show was on weekdays and the LA show was only on weekends.

On my cable system several channels have been recently added (and others dumped) to provide minority-oriented programming. Again, due to a lawsuit filed with the FCC.
Old 03-29-02, 05:25 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by Wizdar
Can't agree with that. Several years ago there was an FCC blackout rule that prevented "competing" programming (I don’t recall what it was called). An example: “Star Trek” TOS from WGN was blacked out in LA because it was being shown on a local channel here. It didn’t seem to matter that the show was on weekdays and the LA show was only on weekends.

On my cable system several channels have been recently added (and others dumped) to provide minority-oriented programming. Again, due to a lawsuit filed with the FCC.
You posted exactly what I thought of when I saw that.
I think it was called ?Synex?
ST:TNG was blacked out on WPIX for me even after my local station stopped showing it on a regular basis. The fact that it was shown once a week (vs nightly on WPIX) in the baseball off season was enough for them.
However, I do agree with the rest of what TeeSeeJay said.
Old 03-30-02, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by elektra
Hi Robo! Long time, no talk!

I agree. I think they should put warnings at the beginning of the show and when you come back from commercial, have the rating tag in the corner for 30 secs. This way, parents are given a heads up and we adults can see things as they should be.

Ummmm, can I get a Giantrobo hug? Ain't had one in a while.

((HUG!))

((GROPE))...Oops! I couldn't resist!
Old 03-30-02, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Although I'm for an end to the silly censoring on cable, I do agree that TV can infuence poeple in a positive way and...a negative way.

IF this were not the case then advertisers wouldn't pay MILLONS for ads.

So with the new freedom we might get from these cable channels, PARENTS will have to be more VIGILANT in what their "pain in the ass ruining for the rest of us" kids are watching.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-30-02 at 04:13 AM.
Old 03-30-02, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Robo - OH MY! Wasn't that an interesting hug!

Also, we have that problem here too. I used to get several channels from local area stations that are now blocked due to same lame control thing.

That's why I'm against the regional encoding on DVD's. We should be able to watch DVD's from anywhere we want.
Old 03-30-02, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by elektra
Robo - OH MY! Wasn't that an interesting hug!

Also, we have that problem here too. I used to get several channels from local area stations that are now blocked due to same lame control thing.

That's why I'm against the regional encoding on DVD's. We should be able to watch DVD's from anywhere we want.
Yes it was

But doesn't the REGION CODING thing for dvd have more to with licensing of material for other countries than anything else?