Reload this Page >

The Court - 3/26/02 (Series Permiere)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 03-27-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since no one else is starting one, I'll do it ...

It's very difficult to judge this first episode, since it was very much an introduction to the series, but my first impression was positive but still uncertain. I don't want this show to turn into a "Sally Field Knows Best" vehicle.

Essentially this episode was the same thing as the premiere of First Monday, except it wasn't as transparent and superficial. Clerks are obviously going to be a focus, as well as the media (note yet another SportsNight alumn, Brenda Strong). Unlike its copycat show, we weren't presented with a cop-out dilemma and an easy solution.

I look forward to seeing more episodes and think the show has some promise. I'll have to reserve judgment until more episodes have aired. I just hope this doesn't spell the end for Philly, ABC's best new program.

das
Old 03-27-02, 10:07 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oooh, Sally Sasser's on this show? (Brenda Strong's character on Sports Night, right?) Sweet!
Old 03-27-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
Oooh, Sally Sasser's on this show? (Brenda Strong's character on Sports Night, right?) Sweet!
Yeah, the great Sally "I Couldn't Find Your Shirt, Casey" Sasser. Interestingly enough, she plays the anchor of a political roundtable show, the exact same role Ted McGinley plays on The West Wing. I smell conspiracy ...

das
Old 03-27-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The Court" is sitting on the Tivo right now and I plan on watching it tonight, looked interesting from the commercials. I mean I saw them enough times when I ended up watching some of the Flying Nun marathon on ABC Family
Old 03-27-02, 10:49 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by das Monkey

Yeah, the great Sally "I Couldn't Find Your Shirt, Casey" Sasser. Interestingly enough, she plays the anchor of a political roundtable show, the exact same role Ted McGinley plays on The West Wing. I smell conspiracy ...

das
Hopefully we'll get a little more development of Strong's character than "lusting for power & sex" which is the vibe that I got from Sasser. She did show the "softer side of Sasser" when she and Dana talked about Sally & Casey sleeping together, but other than that, she kind of felt one-or-two-note.

Why the hell didn't anyone pick up Sports Night when ABC brainfarted and cancelled it? Ugh. You don't cancel a show with Robert Frickin' Guillaume! It bothers me that I'm really hooked into the characters of that show, and only two seasons exist. And I've probably seen each of episodes more than once.
Old 03-27-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
If these reporters are going to be part of every episode, I will be extremely disappointed. Talk about your lame and annoying characters. The media covering the Court is hardly the place to be building a storyline.

I much prefered the opener to First Monday. I think the cast (especially the Justices) is also much stronger in First Monday.

I would have preferred watching a new episode of Philly last night.
Old 03-27-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Red Dog
If these reporters are going to be part of every episode, I will be extremely disappointed. Talk about your lame and annoying characters. The media covering the Court is hardly the place to be building a storyline.

I much prefered the opener to First Monday. I think the cast (especially the Justices) is also much stronger in First Monday.

I would have preferred watching a new episode of Philly last night.
I do like the cast of First Monday better. Some very established actors. Unfortunately, I thought the show oversimplified difficult issues and relied on "last minute evidence" instead of actually having to make a hard decision.

I too would have prefered a new episode of Philly.

das
Old 03-27-02, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

I do like the cast of First Monday better. Some very established actors. Unfortunately, I thought the show oversimplified difficult issues and relied on "last minute evidence" instead of actually having to make a hard decision.

Yeah - that happened on the premiere episode. That was completely ridiculous. I definitely think that the 1st episode of First Monday was the weakest. However, I think it was stronger than The Court. Hopefully, The Court will improve like First Monday has. The one thing I really did like on The Court was the 'hazing' of the junior Justice. That is a real tradition. First Monday surprisingly overlooked this.

I don't mind the oversimplification of issues. They have to dumb it down for those unfamiliar with constitutional law - which is most people.
Old 03-28-02, 09:23 AM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts
[valerie]Humperdinck! Humperdinck! Humperdinck! HUMP-AHHHH-DIIIIIIIIINCK!!!!!![/valerie]

I would have liked a new ep of Philly (my favorite show to watch other than Crossing Jordan, CSI, and the L&O triumverant)...

... I'll reserve judgement on Gidget goes to Washington after next weeks episode...
Old 03-28-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Another freaking court drama? Great, another reason not to watch the 3 networks......