TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Baby Bob 3/25

Old 03-25-02, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Baby Bob 3/25

So bad I just had to start a thread on it.

I mean I couldn't even describe the plot if you asked me, I'm just sitting here open mouthed, shocked that something this bad could actually get aired.

I can almost see the cast reading off the teleprompters. I can hear the "cha-ching!" noise going off in their heads as they recite their lines. What the hell are Eliot Gould, Alan Arkin and Joely Fisher thinking? I mean, baring the fact that it gets approved for next season, what happens when the baby actually gets old enough to speak?

Let's start a cancellation pool for this one. I give it 2 more episodes for a total of 4 aired. Anyone else?
Old 03-25-02, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm reminded of the Simpsons. A midseason show on the Simpsons was entitled "Admiral Baby". I immediately thought of that when I heard about Baby Bob.
Old 03-25-02, 10:45 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Re: Baby Bob 3/25

Originally posted by Eric F

Let's start a cancellation pool for this one. I give it 2 more episodes for a total of 4 aired. Anyone else?
Check last week's review, predictions have already started. I was in for 6 then, so I'm saying 5 now.
Old 03-26-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eternia sat stunned while watching a baby talk.

The episode was not as good as the premiere (I actaully enjoyed the premiere episode, I hope CBS airs it again). I am sure it will go maybe 4 or so more episodes then Yes Dear will go back to its regular time slot.
Old 03-26-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only seen the previews but I can't believe this show got aired. The baby is creepy.
Old 03-26-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I really enjoyed this concept the first time I saw it....when it was called "Look who's Talking".

Face it. Network television is a vast wasteland of nothingness. Bereft of ideas, intelligence, or anything resembling quality, they crap out the same old recycled trash year after year and try to pass it off on a seemingly unsuspecting public.
Old 03-26-02, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having actually watched the show, it is the furthest thing from Look Who's Talking.

das
Old 03-26-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Having actually watched the show, it is the furthest thing from Look Who's Talking.

das
Wasn't suggesting that it was the same. I was suggesting that the concept was similar.

Regardless, it's crap and a patently unoriginal concept.
Old 03-26-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bardevious
Wasn't suggesting that it was the same. I was suggesting that the concept was similar.

Regardless, it's crap and a patently unoriginal concept.
I can see how its crap but not patently unoriginal. In fact, it's more original than 90% of the sitcoms on television. That's a sad commentary on the shows that America find entertaining, but it's true. Yes, it's a gimmick that rings familiar to a similar gimmick (talking baby), but that's where the similarities end. This isn't a raunchy show about a wise-cracking sailor-baby, but a real kid who has developed the ability to talk sooner than other children but consequently suffers from other deficiencies like poor motor skills. Sure, it's not the most original concept ever, but it's a lot more original than a lot of the other shows out there.

das
Old 03-26-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. Baby Talk was the tv version of Look Who's Talking. This show is very different. They both do have talking babies, but they way the shows are played out are much different.
Old 03-26-02, 10:00 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I'm waiting for the two-hour, Sunday night, 10-year reunion show. Let's see them trying to play off a 10-year-old's ability to-- gasp-- TALK!

On a side note, couldn't they have found a "Bob" that wasn't ugly? I mean, yuck. "Amazing Grace" is cute as babies go (and I'm not into babies) but Bob is ugly and you know he isn't going to look better with a few months on him.
Old 03-26-02, 10:20 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
This is not a new idea. There was a similar show back in the '50s.

It's not just the idea that's poor, it's the execution. At the end they had some sort of male-bonding thing with Eliot Gould and Alan Arkin. I have no idea what that had to do with a talking baby. I'm not sure if any child watching it would know what they were talking about. Just who is this show for?

This show just burns a hole in my brain. I don't want to remember it, but I just can't help it. The running joke on this episode was "baby Bob" is a moron compared to other babies his age. Excuse me? He talks like a 50yr old teamster, isn't that enough? Someone should tell him to lay off the cigarettes.
Old 03-27-02, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eric F
Just who is this show for?
For parents. It's a very low key show about fairly moderate real life problems, and it's on CBS. The humor isn't distasteful, and there's an attempt to have a heart to the show. Obviously, most people around here think they haven't succeeded, but that's what they're attempting to do.

The show isn't about Bob, the talking baby, but about two parents struggling with the difficulties of parenting (combined with the twist of having a kid that can talk at a frighteningly early age). Most of the show centers around general parenting and not Bob himself. The whole scene with Arkin and Gould was about father/son relationships and fits perfectly into what they're trying to do.

Like I said before, this isn't the kind of show I'd watch on a regular basis, but for people who are looking for a nice wholesome show that isn't vulgar, yet isn't preachy, Baby Bob is a likely choice. That's pretty much CBS' target audience to begin with.

As for the running joke ... the running joke wasn't that Bob struggled with manual dexterity ... the running joke was that everyone is obsessed with how wonderful "Amazing" (or "Fall From") Grace is. The fact that Bob can't clap properly or play with blocks wasn't a joke at all, but the point of realization for his parents that Bob isn't some "super" baby.

das
Old 03-27-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This week (CBS wins Monday night): Kicking off the 8 p.m. hour, CBS's "The King of Queens" pulled in a regal 9.4/15, followed by "Baby Bob" with a 9.1/14.

Last week Baby Bob was #11 in the ratings (its premiere episode) with 9.7/15.0.
Old 03-27-02, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eternia
This week (CBS wins Monday night): Kicking off the 8 p.m. hour, CBS's "The King of Queens" pulled in a regal 9.4/15, followed by "Baby Bob" with a 9.1/14.

Last week Baby Bob was #11 in the ratings (its premiere episode) with 9.7/15.0.
I hate to give them credit, but CBS is showing much better timeslot management than the other networks. NBC's placement of their new shows has made almost no sense whatsoever, but putting Baby Bob between King of Queens and Raymond is perfect.

Looks like they held some viewers, but it was a very off night for television (why I was watching in the first place). The true test will be the next episode or two to see if they have an audience or if it was just one-timers checking out the new show.

das
Old 03-27-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hate to give them credit, but CBS is showing much better timeslot management than the other networks. NBC's placement of their new shows has made almost no sense whatsoever, but putting Baby Bob between King of Queens and Raymond is perfect.

Looks like they held some viewers, but it was a very off night for television (why I was watching in the first place). The true test will be the next episode or two to see if they have an audience or if it was just one-timers checking out the new show.
I think the whole line-up really works of King of Queens, Baby Bob, Raymond, Yes Dear, then Family Law. It seems like it flows really well. Or, maybe I just like it more since Becker isn't on? Only time will tell.

I didn't check the guide yet to see if they are doing the same thing next week - Baby Bob at 8:30 and Yes Dear at 9:30...
Old 03-27-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eternia
I think the whole line-up really works of King of Queens, Baby Bob, Raymond, Yes Dear, then Family Law. It seems like it flows really well. Or, maybe I just like it more since Becker isn't on? Only time will tell.
It's a good lineup for their audience. I'm not that audience, so I don't watch it, but it flows very well and helps CBS get great ratings with mediocre shows. ABC and NBC could learn a little from them when it comes to scheduling (and abruptly cancelling) new shows.

das