Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

My Wife and Kids getting the axe? :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-02, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Wife and Kids getting the axe :(

I've rarely got hooked on a show that didn't have a long run. This was IMO one of the best new comedies out there but ABC has decided to pull the show after 1 1/2 seasons. I'm really disappointed in this.
Old 03-25-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What the hell is up with those dumbasses at ABC?
Old 03-25-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABC needs to get with it. I really didn't watch My Wife and Kids, but I did catch a few eps in its first season and they were pretty good. ABC needs to do something fast. In the Nielsen's for last week it only had two shows in the top 20 , Primetime Live Thursday (which was the Rosie O'Donnell interview) and The Practice. There once popular shows, like Drew, are just dragging IMO. Season to date ratings, FOX is even very close to ABC, and ABC is ways down from NBC and CBS.
Old 03-25-02, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a real shame. Along with The Bernie Mac Show, this was one of the few legitimately funny new comedies this past year.

das
Old 03-25-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

are you kidding me???? this was one of my favorite shows. I am getting mad at ABC, they cancel this and they have yet to put "mole 2" back on the air.

just another reason not to watch anything on ABC...
Old 03-25-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OMG, are you serious. This was the funniest show on tv right now.
Old 03-25-02, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This can't possibly be true. Where's the link? I check Entertainment Weekly every week, and it usually ranks within the top 20-30 shows watched EVERY week. It gets like 10-12 million viewers consistenly. Isn't that like really good? A few weeks ago, they aired a one hour special for no particular reason, and the past few weeks it's been on twice a week, on Mondays and Wednesdays.

This just can't be true.
Old 03-25-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

no mention of it here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...on_wobbly_dc_2

though it does show how stupid fox is for moving dark angel, although i admit i stopped watching cuz the show has fallen off instead of the new time slot (tivo handles all time slots )
Old 03-25-02, 10:51 PM

I highly doubt it

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?23083

The monday airings got pulled when abc was using it as a lead in to burn off the Wayne Brady eps.

They did just air this show for 5 days straight as if where the Cosby Show.

The Japanese restaurant episdoe one of the best comedy outings of the year.
Old 03-26-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It is true

From Yahoo! News...
In other cancellation news this week, the ratings-starved ABC announced it's pulling The Wayne Brady Show and My Wife and Kids from its schedule. The network is planning to unveil several new shows next week, including The Bachelor on Monday, The Court on Tuesday and The George Lopez Show on Wednesday.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ot__step_aside

All the way at the bottom of the article.
Old 03-26-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ABC is going down the toilet. This show was funny. ABC should be laying blame on a lot of weak shows they've kept on the schedule that don't give good lead ins to shows like My Wife and Kids.

I'll bet another network thinks it's good enough to pick up. I hope anyway.
Old 03-26-02, 12:41 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: the thread title

"Heeeerre's Johnny!"

"No TV and No Beer make Homer something something"

Old 03-26-02, 01:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Give me a freaking break.

They want to pull this show, which is one of the funniest shows on TV, period.

And yet they are putting on a show like The Bachelor?

Please... Didn't the networks learn by that horrid attempt Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire?

ABC Programing Execs.
Old 03-26-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is the best comedy on tv period, this is also the only reason I would watch according to Jim jsut because it was after, and if I wasn't watching my tivo I would stick with it. This a great show better then anything else on this horrid station I am pretty sure now I currently have no reason to watch ABC now.
Old 03-26-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: I highly doubt it

Originally posted by rskinfn

The Japanese restaurant episdoe one of the best comedy outings of the year.
so true. i was lmao the whole hour!
Old 03-26-02, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 03-26-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is disappointing news, I just discovered this show and it's the only show that my mother-in-law will watch - forced family quality time.

I hope that it finds another home, UPN? WB ?
Old 03-27-02, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think CBS or NBC should pick up the show. I thought the show was doing great, since they put it on like 3 times a week sometimes(Repeats).
Old 03-27-02, 09:21 AM

OMG ABC PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A** MY WIFE was one of the best shows!! I'm no longer watching any ABC shows.
Old 03-27-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

didn't UPN pick up "the hughleys" after it left ABC? would they do that for this show?
Old 03-27-02, 07:04 PM

A point of irony...

Touchstone, the production arm of ABC, produces "Scrubs" for NBC. Which itself, isn't unusual. Fox produces "Buffy" for UPN.

What is ironic is that Scrubs appears to be a certified hit for NBC. If it had aired on ABC, it may not have been picked up for next season.

ABC's downfall, by their own admission, is the over-reliance on Millionaire. Instead of developing new hits, they filled their schedule with a cheap-to-produce game show. The network needed something, even mediocre programming, to fill in the cracks between its solid hits like Dharma & Greg and Spin City. The vacuum the existed in their schedule simply pulled their once strong programs down.
Old 03-27-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by TruGator
didn't UPN pick up "the hughleys" after it left ABC? would they do that for this show?

I doubt UPN would pick this up because unlike "The Hughleys", this show doesn't mention the fact that they are Black every 10 seconds. That's what I love about this show. It isn't a show about a Black family, but rather a show about a family that happens to be Black. I think NBC should pick it up and put it on after Friends.
Old 04-05-02, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is "My Wife and Kids" REALLY Cancelled? Doesn't Seem Like It...

I read a post here about a week ago that said the show got cancelled. I'm curious, how can this be?

Two weeks ago, "Entertainment Tonight" ran a story about the show, the actors, the writers, and even gave some behind the scenes information. Today, in a new edition of "Entertainment Weekly" (a magazine), the show is rated in the Top 30 for last week, gathering 12.1 million viewers. It was spotted at number 24, out of the 30 most watched shows over the course of an entire week. Doesn't that make it a hit? Wouldn't networks kill for their sitcoms to consistently get 12 million viewers? The same magazine also ran a article on the show, talking about how the role of "daddy's" are back in style with "My Wife and Kids" and shows like it.

Well, if it really has been cancelled, does anyone logically how this can be and why it happened? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-02, 05:06 PM

I was wondering this too. I really like all the Wayans Bros. And follow all their shows. And MY WIFE AND KIDS consistenly gets good ratings. And i was shocked when someone said it was getting cancelled. So I don't beleive its getting canceled.
Old 04-05-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read an article on E! Online on why shows get canceled. Link It explains things pretty well.

I don't want to believe it, but I do think that I have read it in more than one story, so I am convinced it is canceled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.