Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Mtv Fear (3/24 spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-02, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mtv Fear (3/24 spoilers)

Does anyone watch this show? Do you think it's real or a set up?

All six players quit on tonights episode.

Edited thread title - Static

Last edited by Static Cling; 03-24-02 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-24-02, 08:12 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They all quit?! Sweet! Hope I recorded it.

When you say "real" or "a set-up," what do you mean? I think that the locations are real, and that the emotions that the players experience are real.

They make their players do some messed-up stuff that, to me, borders on being disrespectful to the dead, if not completely crossing the line completely. Case in point: the tunnel dare in the Civil War fort episode, where the contestant had to
Spoiler:
crawl into a collapsed tunnel where six people had been buried by the collapse and whose bodies were supposedly never removed from the tunnel, and try to "awaken the spirits" of those people. Going into a room where messed up stuff happened is one thing... crawling over an area where bodies are buried is another thing, IMO
Old 03-24-02, 08:19 PM

I just wonder if all these noises that the players hear are all from Mtv. Have they ever caught anything on tape? Things moving and stuff like that. I would figure that this is the third season(I think) that they should have some good stuff on tape but i've never really seen anything on any of the episodes.
I agree that the things some of the players have to do are being disrespectful to the dead.
Old 03-24-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still believe the best episode of this show was the first one with the abandoned prison in West Virginia. Remember the 'Sugar Shack'?, and the electric chair?
Old 03-24-02, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember the electric chair (for a few minutes I thought there was someone under that tarp) but I don't remember the Sugar Shack.

I think it's real and the FEAR is the stuff these guys watch before they begin their dares. Once the thought is put into their heads then normal sounds are believed to be something else. It's no different that when the wind blows a tree branch against a house. In the day you dismiss it but at night you might think there is someone outside your house.
Old 03-24-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The show is real, but the stories told to the "cast" are completely fake.
I would also assume that most of the props are planted.
Old 03-25-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
The show is real, but the stories told to the "cast" are completely fake.
I would also assume that most of the props are planted.
Yeah, if they had to plant those cameras inside, then a crew had to have been there. I wouldn't have been there if those stories were real.
Old 03-25-02, 11:45 AM

Fear

Spoiler Alert!!!!!!

These 2 events below were pretty convincing that there maybe something supernatural going on without MTV's involvement.

When the remaining 3 were left in the safe house, the room suddenly turned so cold that you can see their breath. The safe house was in the tunnels so the temperature should be pretty constant. If MTV had air conditioners, the 3 would have heard the noise from the air conditioning units. This sudden coldness went away after a while. At the same time, they captured a really bright orange glow coming from a wall where there were no lights. When they turn the camera to another wall, the glow disappears and reappears again when they direct it to the first wall again.

Also, when the blonde hooters chick was alone in the safe house, the power went out. Right before the lights went out, the camera that is shooting her caught a shadow flying across the camera. The camera was positioned less than 6 feet in front of her so if it was a person, she should have seen him/her. The cameras were on because they are on batteries. You can hear noices in the safe house all around her.

I think this was the first time that the whole team quits. Next episode brings in another team to the same location.
Old 03-25-02, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok - embarrassing confession time.

I totally eat this cheezy supernatural "reality" programming stuff right up. "MTV Fear" is my guilty pleasure.

Most times that ghostly vibe just isn't there and I end up switching it off after a few minutes, but other times, it hooks me in like a bad "B" slasher flick.

Anyone know when this season premiere will be replayed? This sounds like one I'd watch all the way through.
Old 03-25-02, 12:40 PM
Admin Emeritus

Was the season premiere the "Civil War fort" episode, or the "everyone quits" episode? Apparently my TiVo got some bad info, and recorded music videos instead of the "everyone quits" episode. How ironic... the one time I don't want to watch music videos on MTV, and I end up recording music videos.

Anyone got a recording of the episode they'd like to send me?
Old 03-25-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Was the season premiere the "Civil War fort" episode, or the "everyone quits" episode? Apparently my TiVo got some bad info, and recorded music videos instead of the "everyone quits" episode. How ironic... the one time I don't want to watch music videos on MTV, and I end up recording music videos.

me too? I will gladly pay shipping, since you can't really sell the tape.
Old 03-25-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I watched the eposode, have seen most/all of them. Yeah, I think its real (except two cases in two episodes *see below*). Basically MTV scouts the locations, then goes in with experts, witnessess, psychics and clairvoyants, and such. I'm sure they prime the contestants with more video and scary background info than we see on the show so they can scare them more.

Basically, though, I dont think anything that happens, the fear, comes from any outside force, its all internal, its the people freaking, imagining everything... Hearing stuff is natural when you are tense, and they will take any shadow or noise and turn it into a person/ghost. You can see evidence of normal fear-flight responses, where they will manage to remain cool, just to complete a dare, and as soon as they are told they can come back, they really freak out, start running back, hearing things, which is just a reaction in their mind.

Last night though they were all too freaked out. As far as the room going cold- They are morons. They said "It shouldnt be this cold in Mexico. Mexico is supposed to be warm." Well, not in a freaking mine shaft in the mountains when its raining, idiot. Mexico isnt all beaches and blistering sun.

*There was one where MTV had a player mysteriously "disappeared" which was an obvious attempt to spook viewers and the contestants. Second, there was one episode with what I swear was an actor plant. The guy over reacted to everyhting and always dropped hints, made little comments to spice up people fears, and in one dare was suppossed to be a vessal for spirits and he started to over-act like a ghost was in his body, freaking out the people with him on the dare, and it all seemed really fake and put-on.
Old 03-25-02, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling

The season premiere is the one in Mexico which everyone quit. They will be in the same location for this Sunday's episode. Sorry but I didn't record it. I'm in MD also and could have hooked you up. I was checking out MTV's website and they don't have this past weeks episode replayed anytime. They have next weeks episode listed on Sunday @ 8:00, Friday @ 8:00, and the following Sunday @ 6:00.

Slumbering Fist - did the person that disappeared come back or were they gone the rest of the show.
Old 03-25-02, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by zak52

Slumbering Fist - did the person that disappeared come back or were they gone the rest of the show.
He was gone. He completed his dare- they showed him in the dare room and MTV did a "spooky" edit where he disappears- then in the safehouse the other contestants were informed that he completeed the dare but that they would "never see [whatever his color was] agian"- no explanation was given or discussed as to why he was gone- he was the teams strongest player, the one holding everyone up, encouraging and confident- it was obviously a pre-determined ploy by MTV to freak out the rest of the cast.
Old 03-25-02, 04:13 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Some of it is faked (the cement factory is a good example). For instance: The St. Agnes hospital episode. One of the dares was to scrape some blood off of the floor. Why was there blood still on the floor 20 some years after a woman was murdered? Didn't the staff bother to clean it up?
Old 03-25-02, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my main problem with the show is the spooky noises or music they record over it. if the show is supposed to be completely real then i want to hear exactly what the players hear. although i think it would be more entertaining if mtv actually screwed with them.
Old 03-25-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist

He was gone. He completed his dare- they showed him in the dare room and MTV did a "spooky" edit where he disappears- then in the safehouse the other contestants were informed that he completeed the dare but that they would "never see [whatever his color was] agian"- no explanation was given or discussed as to why he was gone- he was the teams strongest player, the one holding everyone up, encouraging and confident- it was obviously a pre-determined ploy by MTV to freak out the rest of the cast.
From your description, it looks like he could have violated the rules of the show and was disqualified.
Maybe he went to an area that was designated off-limits to the contestants or tampered with the cameras or furnishings.
Old 04-07-02, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Mtv Fear (3/24 spoilers)

Originally posted by zak52
Does anyone watch this show? Do you think it's real or a set up?

All six players quit on tonights episode.

Edited thread title - Static
I was stuck home babysitting w/ nothing to do & I watched this show for the first time & I completely & utterly do not understand what the appeal or what is so scary about this show.

MTV obviously could never get this show produced or aired if the conestants were in any real danger. They have to scout the locations & set up cameras intricately which takes time & heavy scouting to pick the right angle. The show says there is no film crew yet there are constant camera shots from a person that is not one of the cast b/c it is a moving shot w/ the entire cast on screen. Not to mention the fact that there are a few special effects, & music which is probably to cover something up.

I do think the cast is real but they probably have an enormous screening process to pick the most gullible people that claim to believe in the supernatural & are to put it blatantly EXTREME WUSSES. Someone like me would never get picked as I don't scare easily.

The locations are obviously real but the stories greatly exagerated. Would I be scared out of my mind if I went into any of these locations at night, even with friends that I completely trust, HELL YEAH. Would I be scared if I went into these locations as part of an MTV production & I would win 5000 dollars. Not likely.
Old 04-07-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Is this a continuation of a series last year -- I thought it was a complete series or miniseries -- where they had those folks go into the old mental hospital with the different sections. I seem to recall multiple episodes shown in a row for this place, including something about a guy hanged in the attic, etc.

pretty interesting.

Tuan Jim
Old 04-07-02, 09:41 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Is this a continuation of a series last year -- I thought it was a complete series or miniseries -- where they had those folks go into the old mental hospital with the different sections. I seem to recall multiple episodes shown in a row for this place, including something about a guy hanged in the attic, etc.

pretty interesting.

Tuan Jim
Maybe some of the locations have earned multiple visits due to their size or "difficulty." Most locations only get one show. Seems that they're on a Central/South America kick right now... the last shows were about looking for a "nahual" in a Mexican mine, and tonight's show was about some sort of location where Mayans killed a group of missionaries after the missionaries did some pretty messed up stuff to them.
Originally posted by Sessa17
I do think the cast is real but they probably have an enormous screening process to pick the most gullible people that claim to believe in the supernatural & are to put it blatantly EXTREME WUSSES. Someone like me would never get picked as I don't scare easily.
On this Sunday's show, there were at least two skeptics that said they didn't believe in supernatural stuff.
The locations are obviously real but the stories greatly exagerated. Would I be scared out of my mind if I went into any of these locations at night, even with friends that I completely trust, HELL YEAH. Would I be scared if I went into these locations as part of an MTV production & I would win 5000 dollars. Not likely.
It's funny how some of the guys that talk the toughest in their "meet the contestants" videos are the first ones to go. In this show, you have both of the scenarios you just mentioned. Sure, it's an MTV production, but I think people forget that when they're stuck in a cistern for five hours in the dark with radio silence, or going through similar "dares."

What I wonder about is site security. Couldn't someone unrelated to the show go to the site and mess with the contestants? How do they guard against that? Some of these locations are pretty big, it seems.

Last edited by Static Cling; 04-07-02 at 09:50 PM.