DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Akira Kurosawa doc. on PBS tonight. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/194513-akira-kurosawa-doc-pbs-tonight.html)

bodhi1213 03-24-02 06:23 PM

Akira Kurosawa doc. on PBS tonight.

I think it airs at 9:00 here on the west coast. Check your local listings for exact time in your area. PBS tends to do some pretty good documentary stuff so might be worth checking out.

das Monkey 03-24-02 06:25 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

das

Copenhagen 03-24-02 10:20 PM

Re: Akira Kurosawa doc. on PBS tonight.

Originally posted by bodhi1213
I think it airs at 9:00 here on the west coast. Check your local listings for exact time in your area. PBS tends to do some pretty good documentary stuff so might be worth checking out.
What PBS station do you have it airing on? I have no listing of it here in the SF Bay area. I also checked PBS's site and they had no future airings of this locally other than its original air date of 3/21.

blahloney 03-25-02 12:50 AM

wha? I don't see it scheduled!?!!

I was confused also...

but here's the info for people in LA..

KCET

Great Performances
Sunday, March 24, 11:00 p.m.
"Chuck Jones: Extremes and In-Betweens, a Life in Animation". Steven Spielberg, Robin Williams, Whoopi Goldberg, Ron Howard celebrate the work of animation artist Chuck Jones. {CC, Stereo}

Wednesday, March 27, 9:00 p.m.
"Kurosawa". Film footage and interviews with Clint Eastwood and James Coburn show the life of director Akira Kurosawa. {CC, Stereo}
Parental guidance rating: TVPG

Wednesday, April 3, 4:30 a.m.
"Kurosawa". Film footage and interviews with Clint Eastwood and James Coburn show the life of director Akira Kurosawa. {CC, Stereo}
Parental guidance rating: TVPG

tofu 03-25-02 11:41 AM

that was an awesome documentary. i never knew that kurosawa was so thorough when researching stories for his movies.

palebluedot 03-25-02 05:19 PM

Yes, this was a very good documentary on a very IMO, fasinating person.

FU_MAN_CHU 03-25-02 06:04 PM

Very well done. I liked that they had excerpts from his autobio (spoken throughout the documnetary as if Kurosawa was talking) throughout.

bboisvert 03-26-02 09:40 AM

Just so everyone knows, this documentary is coming out on DVD on April 23rd. It's going to have a bunch of extra interviews and bonus stuff that increases the running time to 4.5 hours.

Retail is $34.99. DeepdiscountDVD has it for $20.99 shipped.

ratguy 03-27-02 01:00 PM

My mom called me in the middle of the Oscars to tell me about this. I really wanted to watch it, but the damn Oscars ran late. Any chance of a repeat?

tor_greg 03-27-02 02:46 PM

Originally posted by ratguy
My mom called me in the middle of the Oscars to tell me about this. I really wanted to watch it, but the damn Oscars ran late. Any chance of a repeat?
I don't know, it's played at least 4 times so far in the past week.

bboisvert 03-27-02 03:22 PM

Originally posted by ratguy
My local station has showed it a bunch of times. I've bumped into it at least twice. PBS has a Kurosawa web site set up:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/.../kurosawa.html

If you click the "Check Local Listings" link, you should be able to see if it is repeating on your station.

And, again, if you miss it -- they are releasing it on DVD with a bunch of extras on 4/23.

bodhi1213 03-27-02 04:01 PM

For those who missed it. Great Performances: Kurosawa will again be aired on 033002 at 12:00 midnight here in Portland.

Pac-Rat 03-27-02 04:08 PM

Damn my local only showed it on 3/22 @ 4:00am:eek: and last night at 10pm (couldn't miss The Shield).
THanks for the heads up on the DVD.