Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game Show Network adds a few to the lineup in April including Whammy!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Are you going to watch any of these?
Hollywood Squares
18.18%
Win Lose or Draw
27.27%
Whammy! (The All New Press Your Luck)
75.76%
None of these
15.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Game Show Network adds a few to the lineup in April including Whammy!

Old 03-16-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starts April 15th

Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall) Airs WDays at 2:30AM, 3:30AM, 10:00AM, 2:30PM, 8:30PM, 11:30PM And WEnds at 3:30AM, 11:30AM, 8:30PM

Win Lose, or Draw (Bert Convy) Airs WDays at 11:30AM, 7:00PM And Saturdays at 2:00PM

Whammy! The All New Press Your Luck (Todd Newton) premieres at 10pm
& Airs WDays at 1:00AM, 3:30PM, 10:00PM And WEnds at 12:30AM, 12:00PM, 9:30PM

Click here to see a compilation of four of the five promos for Whammy: The All New Press Your Luck, which will premiere on Game Show Network on April 15th. It's appropriate that a game where a character takes away one's money premieres on the day when the IRS takes away one's money. The promos you're seeing from Whammy! on Game Show Network right now are from the pilot. There were several changes made to the set between the pilot and air. Here's a list of facts:

<small>1. There are now pop-up whammies. They are 3-D, think of small stuffed puppets that come up out of the podium now.

2. The score readouts and passed/earned spins are much larger. Easier to read.

3. The contestants shown on the promos are from both Peter and Todd's pilots. (of course you'll only see Todd)

4. The monitors are now larger - I'm not sure if they will show the board or not, but the monitors are now 35" (as opposed to 26").

5. The reason that the backdrops behind Todd remind you of Card Sharks 2001 is because that's where they are from. The contestant turntable is also recycled from Card Sharks. It looks great and they saved some $$ doing it.

6. There will be "icons" for prizes, rather than pictures of the actual prizes used int he pilot. Some of the icons animate slightly when hit.

7. The monitors have blue and red neon surrounds. The blue is what flashes during the randomizer, and if it stops on a whammy it immediately changes to red.

8. The "live action" whammies (known as "double whammies") appear in round 2 only. Be on the lookout for the "pizza pie" whammy and the "fireman" whammy (which is airing on one of the promos).

9. There are many new squares, like $1000 or Spin Again, Move one space to 2 or 3 choices, and "Pick a Prize" where instantly all prizes light up on the board and the contestant can choose whatever one h/she likes. $2000 or lose a Whammy still exists.

10. Keep your eye out for the infamous $470 space, and the soon to be famous $740 space in Round 1. $1200 also returns in round 2.

11. The board "sound" (the sound that plays while the board is in action) is *very* cool. Easily blows the old one away. It's addictively melodic.

12. Round 1 is completely different. No questions, players alternate spinning untilt hey hit a Whammy or "freeze". Hitting a Whammy eliminates them from play, but in round 1 they now have unlimited spins. The # of Whammies on the board increases after each of the contestants completes a spin round. It makes round 1 more watchable.

13. The question round before the big money round still exists, however they now ask 5 questions instead of 4, and it's still 3 spins for a buzz in and 1 for multi-choice.

14. There is now a commercial in the midst of the big money spin round, thereby eliminating the commercial at the end of the game.

Last edited by bigjim25; 04-15-02 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-16-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AWESOME A NEW PRESS YOUR LUCK!

Press Your Luck was the hands down best game show EVER made in the HISTORY of game shows.

I will watch this - they better not screw it up!
Old 03-16-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Todd Newton is an annoying host and a tv personality whore...
Old 03-16-02, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
Todd Newton is an annoying host and a tv personality whore...
I don't think I have ever seen him host something. Only thing that comes to mind is hearing his voice overs on E!. I know what he looks like because he use to date Deborah Gibson.
Old 03-16-02, 03:28 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by Eternia
I don't think I have ever seen him host something.
I've seen him host some film review show that is on on the weekends and it always has Leonard Maltin on it... after they talk about it, they give it a HOT or NOT...

He never votes... he just mediates the discussion and sits there and smiles...

... but I'll watch it for the Whammys!...
Old 03-16-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For the LOVE OF GOD

Will they ever add Sale of the Century to the lineup??
That's one of my all-time favs.
Old 03-16-02, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WAMMY IS BACk?????????? Im there in a heart beat. WAMMY WAMMY WAMMy STOP *wammy sings song* :-) down to 0
Old 03-16-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not knocking Whammy, but it would be interesting to see international game shows. I hear the Japanese ones can be quick interesting...
Old 03-16-02, 07:55 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Originally posted by MarkHoltz
Not knocking Whammy, but it would be interesting to see international game shows. I hear the Japanese ones can be quick interesting...
Yeah GSN get Iron Chef on your roster!!!!
Old 03-17-02, 11:54 PM

Amen to the poster who wants "Sale of the Century" on GSN. Great Show.

Now, with this new Press Your Luck....any details on the show? I hope it will be as true as possible to the old format, but something tells me they will totally mess with it.
Old 03-18-02, 03:06 AM
Banned

Holy crap!!!!! ALL NEW PRESS YOUR LUCK? How come I haven't heard anything about this? Whats it going to be like? Man, that is kickass.

wait, Todd Newton is the host? OH GOD NO!!! Why on earth would they bring that loser? The guy is so damn annoying.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 03-18-02 at 03:09 AM.
Old 03-18-02, 04:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: For the LOVE OF GOD

Originally posted by indianajdp
That show f'n rocked!

They should also add Supermarket Sweep...(classic)
Old 03-18-02, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm gonna check out Whammy just to see how it is. I love Press Your Luck, so I'm hoping this is just as good.
Old 03-18-02, 07:34 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I hope it doesn't suck.

Big bucks no whammies!
Old 03-18-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Re: For the LOVE OF GOD

Originally posted by indianajdp

They definitely need to add SOTC.

However, the most glaring ommission is The Price is Right. How can they not acquire the rights to this? I want to see Diane when she was a young hottie. I can vividly remember the elation (in the late 70s/early 80s) I felt when I was sick and held out of school. Then I would pray that they would be giving away a boat, hot tub, or trip to the Carribean in the Showcase & Diane would be in a bikini.

Nothing can beat classic TPIR!

I'll check out the new Press Your Luck.
Old 03-18-02, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is Todd Newton the best they could've gotten for this?

I hope this isn't going to be a repeat of what happened with the updated version of "Card Sharks". Don't f**k with the Whammy!

Honk!
Old 03-18-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Is Todd Newton the best they could've gotten for this?

I hope this isn't going to be a repeat of what happened with the updated version of "Card Sharks". Don't f**k with the Whammy!
Is Newton the best they could've gotten for the show? No. They shot 2 pilots - 1 with Newton, the other with Peter Tomarken, the original host of Press Your Luck. They chose Newton to host it.

As for the show itself, I love the original, but I'm not holding out much hope for it. From a description I read of it yesterday, it seems like a cross between the original PYL and Nickelodeon's Double Dare. In round 2, if a contestant lands on a whammy, something bad happens to them (besides losing their money). I.e. there's a fireman whammy, and if they land on it, they get water sprayed on them. Also, there's only a question round before round 2. In round 1, all the contestants have unlimited spins and they keep going until they a.) land on a whammy or b.) stop.

It is, by the way, being produced by the same company that did the recent abomination known as Card Sharks (2001).

Last edited by scott27; 03-18-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-18-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by scott27

Is Newton the best they could've gotten for the show? No. They shot 2 pilots - 1 with Newton, the other with Peter Tomarken, the original host of Press Your Luck. They chose Newton to host it.

As for the show itself, I love the original, but I'm not holding out much hope for it. From a description I read of it yesterday, it seems like a cross between the original PYL and Nickelodeon's Double Dare. In round 2, if a contestant lands on a whammy, something bad happens to them (besides losing their money). I.e. there's a fireman whammy, and if they land on it, they get water sprayed on them. Also, there's only a question round before round 2. In round 1, all the contestants have unlimited spins and they keep going until they a.) land on a whammy or b.) stop.
They actually did do a pilot with Peter Tomarken? Why didn't they chose him? Too old?

The new stuff in the game:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
*Tearing out hair*

Ok I will give it a try. If it sucks I will write a letter to let them know I'll watch the PYL repeats and not this.
Old 03-18-02, 09:22 PM
Banned

WTF? The original host coming back wouldve kicked ass!!!!

Todd Newton is a loser.
Old 03-19-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They actually did do a pilot with Peter Tomarken? Why didn't they chose him? Too old?
My theory is if it does well on Game Show Network, then they're going to try to syndicate it next year, and it would be easier for them to sell to stations with a younger (more marketable?) host like Newton. I would've loved for Tomarken to host it.

Something else that leads to that theory is illustrated in the graphic at the beginning of this thread - they changed the name of the show to "Whammy!" (I believe they may have since even taken off the All New Press Your Luck part), since most people probably remember the show as "the show with the whammies" as opposed to remembering it as Press Your Luck.
Old 03-19-02, 12:11 PM

There's a commercial on GSN with Tomarken in it and he does look old, but who cares? Tomarken is king, Newton is a dork.

I'll check out Whammy! but I'm not getting my hopes up. I love the original Hollywood Squares, so that's cool.

Yeah, where is Sale of the Century? Jim Perry is great.
Old 03-19-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In round 2, if a contestant lands on a whammy, something bad happens to them (besides losing their money). I.e. there's a fireman whammy, and if they land on it, they get water sprayed on them.
[scrooged]My god, does that suck![/scrooged]

Honk!
Old 03-23-02, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like what I heard about the show is accurate. From GSN's press release on the show:

"Whammy!...," a Game Show Network original series, is a high-energy game of
luck and skill where three contestants compete to earn spins on the Big Board
and win "big bucks," all while trying to avoid "the whammy" which takes away
their cash and prizes. In the first round, contestants are offered as many
spins as they like, knowing that each time they spin more "whammys" are added
to the board. In the second round, contestants earn their spins by answering
trivia questions correctly. The final round brings the players back to the Big
Board and introduces the "double whammy," which players try to avoid for fear
of the animated whammy's ability to reach into the real world. Four "whammys"
eliminate a player from the game. The player with the most money after the
third round wins the game.
Old 03-25-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something else that leads to that theory is illustrated in the graphic at the beginning of this thread - they changed the name of the show to "Whammy!" (I believe they may have since even taken off the All New Press Your Luck part), since most people probably remember the show as "the show with the whammies" as opposed to remembering it as Press Your Luck.
I finally saw a few commercials for it on GSN. They still have the "all new Press Your Luck" tag on it. I do agree that most remember it as the show with the whammy, but when I told some of my friends GSN was going to be re-doing "Press Your Luck" I got "Is that the one w/ the whammies?" or "Awesome that was my favorite game show as a kid - no whammies!". I also saw a part where some contestant is getting water dumped on them. I really hope the show doesn't suck... I really hope...
Old 03-25-02, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More promo clips

Todd and Whammy (all of them): http://www.jrjgames.com/main/promos/whammy_street.rm

This is your Whammy (longer version): http://www.jrjgames.com/main/promos/whammypromo2.rm

The three 'policemen' promos.
http://www.xanfan.com/whammy/new-whammy-ads.rm

And this page has lots of screen captures from the pilot episode (don't click if you do not want to see what the new board looks like, etc)
http://www.xanfan.com/whammy/pilotpictures.htm

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.