Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Cancelling Elie: Episode 2 -- (3/5)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cancelling Elie: Episode 2 -- (3/5)

I laughed more this time, mainly at times when Elie wasn't around (i.e steve correl)

But the show is still doomed...

I wonder if we'll see NBC with this promo ...

"Well only half of you tuned back into Elie, ... so... our bad."

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 03-05-02 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-05-02, 10:29 PM

Wow, was i the only one that watched??
Old 03-05-02, 10:50 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
watching later on the west coast, it's on the tivo.
Old 03-05-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This show has the potential to be so good due to the gimmick, and yet it's falling on its face.

Julia is practically in every scene. Geeez, do we honestly need to see her this much. Second, her character has barely any development, and yet I don't really like her from these two past episodes. So, when stuff goes wrong for her, I don't care either way. It'd be a better show if it was a more likeable character that got into messed up situations because the audience would probably be able to relate to the characters' frustrations more.

And is she going to be running in every episode now trying to fix something that's wrong?

The plot of the show takes way too long to develop. We didn't get into the "point" of tonight's plot line until seven to eight minutes into the show. And, up until that point, it was very boring. The supporting characters are even forgettable.

On top of it all, it simply isn't even that funny.

Great idea, but poor execution. This show is in need of some writers.
Old 03-05-02, 10:52 PM

After watching the first episode last week and not liking it, I decided to watch UNdeclared instead. I would rather watch I show that will probably be cancelled that I like as opposed to a show that will probably be cancelled that I don't like. I wish NBC would just get their heads out of their butts and just start up Seinfeld again.
Old 03-06-02, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts
It was slightly more funny tonight than last time, but it just doesn't have that great of characters to survive for long.

Ellie's sister needs to go. So far the only interaction she has had on the show is through phone calls (and with no other reason than to interrupt Ellie). Do we really need her to call and inform her sister that she can't pee? Do we really need her to call to inform Ellie that she finally peed. (should I put that in spoiler tags? )

Steve Correl is funny, but so far it looks like he has been reduced to a sight gag. (i.e. last episode with his hair in foil, this ep. with an eye patch)

I hope the writers can think up something more than "Ellie runs around preparing to sing"
Old 03-06-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched it. Actually I watched it twice, caught both the east and west coast showings. Plus I tivo'd it so I can transfer it to tape later.

I love the show. It is pushing its way past Scrubs in rank. I hope they do not cancel it. However, Guess we will just have to wait and see the numbers for this week's show.

And I think your use of the title "Cancelling Elie" as the thread title when talking about today's broadcast is wrong. First off it is "Ellie" and I hope they don't cancel it just to spite you.
Old 03-06-02, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funnier than last week.

Still nothing super-special but worth me watching a few more times to see where it goes. Expect the new NBC promo to say, "this Tuesday ... millions of people tuned in to the new hit comedy Watching Ellie!" Note how it will be a "new hit comedy" no matter what (hell, they may find a way to call it "America's #1 new comedy") and they won't give a number for how many millions watched it.

I'll watch it again though.

das
Old 03-06-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
My wife turned it on so I could see how bad it was.

Is this a comedy?
Old 03-06-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tuned in to check out the beginning, but went right back to undeclared. Now that's a great show.
Old 03-06-02, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by PacMan2006
her character has barely any development
How mych do YOU grow and develop in 22 minutes?
Old 03-06-02, 09:25 AM

How could anyone even remotely find this show funny ?
I was waiting for them to all start slipping on banana peels to liven it up a bit.
The acting is bad, and the writing is worse. I think Julia is an incredible talent and deserves so much better than this crap.
Old 03-06-02, 10:16 AM

What is that timer in the corner for? To tell us how many minutes of torture we have left? I'd rather watch cable access than that junk
Old 03-06-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally posted by thehsbr
What is that timer in the corner for? To tell us how many minutes of torture we have left? I'd rather watch cable access than that junk
Because it's a 22-minute program that takes place in a 22-minute timespan.
Old 03-06-02, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Because it's a 22-minute program that takes place in a 22-minute timespan.
Exactly. And, I think the clock thing is a unique idea.

Maybe the reason so many people are not getting the show is because they do not understand it is 22 minutes "real time" in her life? I mean if you didn't know why the clock was there...
Old 03-06-02, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched it last night for the first time. I thought it was pretty funny. Steve Correll and that guy from Fargo were great.

Could've done without the sister cell phone bit. Just reminded me of why I hate cell phones so much.
Old 03-06-02, 12:09 PM

I like it. Its different, and I think it deserves a chance. Don't be so quick to judge an entire series because of the first 2 episodes. Do you know how many of our favorite shows wouldn't be around if judged purely on their first episodes? Just about all of them ...
Old 03-06-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by GuessWho
How mych do YOU grow and develop in 22 minutes?
You can grow and develop a lot, that's the point tv shows in grabbing an audience. Characters are supposed to have substance, and writers have to create that within the first few episodes or else people will tune out. All I want is background information, which will help explain a lot about the main character.

If you watch "24" on the first episode, we learned that the main character had a family (wife and daughter) and worked a stressful job at CTU (Counter Terrosim Unit). Therefore, I can see why he is so determined and relentless regarding his job and life.

If you watch "Bernie Mac" on the first show, we see his life completely change when he has to take care of his sister's three kids. And, since the gimmick of the show is having him talk to the camera at times, we are able to see in a subtle and blatant way how he feels and why he feels it.

Those are just two examples. With this show, the character of Ellie is lost on me. Why does she come off as a b*****, or just an unlikeable character? Why does she sleep around with married men? Why does her life seem so hectic? There's just no explanation of anything. And, due to the show's premise, there can easily be background info on her given to us, but it's just not.
Old 03-07-02, 12:39 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Watched it tonight, and enjoyed it, liked the bit with the towtruck guy, and the eyepatch guy.

'You're from Switzerland the french part.'
ha.
I am still in there, if I gave Crossing Jordan 5 episodes it's the least I can do for Elaine, and if Eternia likes it then it must be good
Old 03-07-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[davidspade] I liked "Ellie" the first time I saw it . . . when it was called "24." [/davidspade]

Old 03-07-02, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
Watched it tonight, and enjoyed it, liked the bit with the towtruck guy, and the eyepatch guy.

'You're from Switzerland the french part.'
ha.
I am still in there, if I gave Crossing Jordan 5 episodes it's the least I can do for Elaine, and if Eternia likes it then it must be good
I was with you up until that last part.

Oh, and with Crossing Jordan, once I realized that it has no basis in reality and will never be a compelling drama, I started to enjoy it. The array of misfits they have working there are entertaining enough to keep me tuning in from week to week, especially since they stopped all that "you be the killer" nonsense.

das
Old 03-07-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
Expect the new NBC promo to say, "this Tuesday ... millions of people tuned in to the new hit comedy Watching Ellie!" Note how it will be a "new hit comedy" no matter what (hell, they may find a way to call it "America's #1 new comedy") and they won't give a number for how many millions watched it.
Woo hoo! I was close. They called it "Tuesday's new hit comedy!" but didn't say "millions of viewers." Talk about predictable.

das
Old 03-07-02, 09:04 AM

Woo hoo! I was close. They called it "Tuesday's new hit comedy!" but didn't say "millions of viewers." Talk about predictable.

das

I wonder hwo the nielson's will differ...? I'm guessing a 50% drop off.
Old 03-07-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/dailyniels...ngs.html?24342
CBS Takes Tuesday; 'Ellie' Still Solid
CBS' lineup of dramas won the ratings battle Tuesday night, averaging a 9.6 rating/15 share. NBC got a solid second-week performance from Julia Louis-Dreyfus' comedy "Watching Ellie" and finished second with an 8.0/13 average, followed by ABC, 6.6/11, and FOX, 5.0/8. The WB scored a 4.3/6 in the metered markets, while UPN, 3.0/4, was dragged down by the lackluster premieres of two comedies.
Old 03-07-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

das
But, really, what else are they going to say? They do have to promote. And obviosly their commercials are working, at least for some of their shows. Oh well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.