Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

'Leap of Faith' Premiere - 2/28/02

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'Leap of Faith' Premiere - 2/28/02

Was it just me, or was this show pretty good?

As I'm sure you're all aware, getting me to watch an NBC sit-com is like getting Bill Walton to say something intelligent. It rarely happens, and when it does, it's usually by accident. But I'd be an irresponsible TV watcher if I didn't give these new shows a chance.

Ellie was interesting but ultimately unsatisfying. Leap of Faith, however, seemed to do a much better job of keeping my interested in the more dramatic elements while laughing at the brief moments of comedy. I don't know what genre this show is. It certainly is not a sit-com. And that may be the reason I enjoyed it ... that and the fact that Lisa Edelstein has given me the HOT since her days on SportsNight.

I think NBC did a good job not promoting this show as "That New Tim Meadows Show" or "That Chick Show." I fully expect them to run it into the ground with overpromotion now (they aired three of their trademark "20 Million Viewers" ads for Ellie during this one half hour). But I'll give it another chance. It definitely seems to have potential. Not sure about the timeslot, though. NBC Thursday nights are for tired sit-coms. They bring in massive numbers, but they're not exactly pushing the envelope of the genre. They're exactly what you expect every single week without fail. This show doesn't particularly fit into that mold. If it does turn out to be pretty good, can it survive sandwiched between Friends and Will & Grace?

das
Old 03-01-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Entertainment Weekly doesn't agree with your assessment.
Old 03-01-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
Entertainment Weekly doesn't agree with your assessment.
I'd expect nothing less. I'll wager E! Online doesn't agree with me either. Good thing I don't respect their opinions. But I do respect the posters around here. Anyone else watch it? Love it? Hate it?

das
Old 03-01-02, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The show was ok, and at first I was actually like, hmm a bit like Sex and the City (when the actors are in front of that blue thing and saying that stuff) at least they fixed it by having it the actors who were trying out instead of actually having it like Sex and the City.

I also have to agree that somehow it does not fit in with the Thursday lineup. Perhaps a move to Tuesday: 8: Leap of Faith, 8:30: Watching Ellie, 9:00 Frasier, 9:30: Scrubs, would suit it better. I mean it is better than Three Sisters and all.

And, yes, finally das an NBC promo started to annoy me. Every ending credit and I swear commercial break had the 20 million viewers watched Ellie. Oh well I still enjoyed Ellie and will continue to watch.

Leap of Faith is one of those shows that I don't care if I miss episodes. I would have rather seen Inside Schwartz stay on. Sorry!
Old 03-01-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eternia
And, yes, finally das an NBC promo started to annoy me. Every ending credit and I swear commercial break had the 20 million viewers watched Ellie. Oh well I still enjoyed Ellie and will continue to watch.

It's only a matter of time before you despise the network as I do ... I'll be waiting for you on the Dark Side.

Leap of Faith is one of those shows that I don't care if I miss episodes. I would have rather seen Inside Schwartz stay on. Sorry!

Yeah, I don't think I'd miss it if I never saw it again. I still don't exactly know whether I liked it. I do know that I didn't not like it, and I didn't feel particularly insulted or senselessly manipulated while watching it. It's on my "give it another try" list but not my "make sure I watch it" list.

das
Old 03-01-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched Survivor, and time-shifted the NBC shows, so no idea if I'll like or hate this show.
Old 03-01-02, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Patman
I watched Survivor, and time-shifted the NBC shows, so no idea if I'll like or hate this show.
Yeah, I watched Survivor (I have no shame) and let the TiVo work its magic.

das
Old 03-01-02, 09:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I only lasted 10 minutes with this show. I really like Tim Meadows, which is the only reason I even tuned in, but the show did nothing for me.
Old 03-01-02, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I liked it.
Old 03-01-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, it was written by one of the writers of Sex and the City. I thought the show was pretty good, but it was obviously to me NBC is trying to cash in on the Sex and the City success. There is one line that the main girl said in the episode... I swear it sounded exactly like Carrie Bradshaw!

Originally posted by Eternia
[B]The show was ok, and at first I was actually like, hmm a bit like Sex and the City...
Old 03-01-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
well, it was written by one of the writers of Sex and the City. I thought the show was pretty good, but it was obviously to me NBC is trying to cash in on the Sex and the City success. There is one line that the main girl said in the episode... I swear it sounded exactly like Carrie Bradshaw!
Yeah, it's definitely in the Sex and the City style. I guess it remains to be seen if it's just a cheap knock-off or another decent show in that genre.

das
Old 03-01-02, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Twenty-two minutes of blah jokes about sex and promiscuity. None of the characters were even remotely likable. A big from me.

Honk!
Old 03-01-02, 03:50 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Twenty-two minutes of blah jokes about sex and promiscuity. None of the characters were even remotely likable. A big from me.
See, I think I had heard about this show coming down the pipe... before the NBC 'experts' got their hands on it, I think. It was still called Leap of Faith... but I think it was about a Christian (Faith) who goes from small-town CountryBumpkinVille to BigCityWhereversTown for a job... basically, a fish-out-of-holy-water story. Kinda like the sitcom equivalent of A Walk To Remember. I guess that didn't fly with someone, if it's the same show I had heard about. Too bad. That might have been something SOMEWHAT different from the rest of the sitcoms on TV today. This seems like a tired retread of... well, everything else.
Old 03-02-02, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
didn't interest me. I saw 2/3 of it, and then turned it off. I didn't find it funny or intriguing.
Old 03-03-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this show with a friend and we both felt lukewarm about it.
Faith seemed awkward and we ended up feeling sorry for her. I love Sex and the City, but this show just didn't seem as entertaining.
Old 03-03-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
das, i think you only liked it because they said "from the producers or creators or hairdressers of Sex in the City".
Old 03-03-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Deftones17
das, i think you only liked it because they said "from the producers or creators or hairdressers of Sex in the City".
Not at all. In fact, I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It's hard to judge a show from just the first episode. I will say, being on NBC and sandwiched between two stale shows with tired jokes, I didn't expect to enjoy it at all. Surprisingly, though, I found myself actually paying attention to what was going on instead of dismissing it as garbage. It's going to take more than this episode before I really know what I think about the show.

I wonder if my feelings are affected by the fact that I didn't watch the NBC lead-in, which is a non-stop array of tired punchlines. I think I watched Survivor, then CSI and then Faith, so I wasn't particularly in a punch-line mood. I wonder if people who watched Friends first weren't particularly in the mood for that style of show. Even if it turns out to be a great show, I cannot imagine it working in that timeslot.

das
Old 03-03-02, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
Not at all. In fact, I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It's hard to judge a show from just the first episode. I will say, being on NBC and sandwiched between two stale shows with tired jokes, I didn't expect to enjoy it at all. Surprisingly, though, I found myself actually paying attention to what was going on instead of dismissing it as garbage. It's going to take more than this episode before I really know what I think about the show.
das
how dare you call Friends a stale show
Old 03-03-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by D. Pham
how dare you call Friends a stale show
Truth hurts, eh?

das
Old 03-03-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Truth hurts, eh?

das
sorry das...gotta disagree with you...I enjoyed Friends, and so I watched Leap of Faith, simply because it came after it.
Old 03-03-02, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by D. Pham
sorry das...gotta disagree with you...I enjoyed Friends, and so I watched Leap of Faith, simply because it came after it.
Don't be sorry ... you're not alone. It's one of the highest rated shows on TV. I find it stale and tired and manipulative and annoying ... others love it. Different strokes.

Anyway, the point I was getting at is that I think the Friends crowd is made up of many groups of people. Some watch because it's familiar and they're just used to watching it on Thursday nights. Some like the easy-to-watch rapid-fire punchline sit-com shows. Some just like the characters. Whatever the reason, I don't think that group of people is a good audience for Leap of Faith. It's not riddled with predictable punch-lines, familiar characters, or zany situations. Whether it's a good show or a bad show, the Friends audience doesn't seem like a good match for that style of program.

das
Old 03-03-02, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let's see...sandwiched in between Friend and Will & grace, I laughed at the 2 slices of bread, but found the "meat" to be unsatisfying as well. The main problem is that the 3rd and 4th wheel of this show just aren't appealing (the guy and the black woman). The guy is a sad sack waving at women who wave back at him, and the black woman is relegated to the "That is wacked!" role. It comes off just too overt, nothing sly or clever at all. And what's with the Brad Pitt look-a-like, is that all it takes for a woman to jump into bed and forsake her impending nuptials? That's just lame and stereotypical lazy writing.

Friends I enjoyed, and Willl & Grace always cracks me up, even their reruns. It's all in the performances and characters, and W&G have 5 of them, all capable of pulling out the stops on getting laughs from their material. LoF doesn't have a charismatic enough leading lady, and Lisa Edelstein is okay, doesn't give me the Hot(tm).

How in the world is Jenny Bicks also an executive producer on this show? What else has she done? Nothing to leave much of a lasting impression on me, that's for sure.
Old 03-03-02, 08:33 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't be sorry ... you're not alone. It's one of the highest rated shows on TV. I find it stale and tired and manipulative and annoying ... others love it. Different strokes.
Just thought I'd throw in another vote for "Friends is stale." I used to watch it all the time in its earlier seasons... but it ended up feeling not-so-fresh after a while.
Old 03-03-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Static Cling
Just thought I'd throw in another vote for "Friends is stale." I used to watch it all the time in its earlier seasons... but it ended up feeling not-so-fresh after a while.
Yeah, don't get me wrong ... the first 5 seasons or so were really good, and I loved watching it. But now it's not only stale in comparison to other sit-coms, it's stale when compared to itself. It just doesn't do anything for me anymore, and hasn't for years. The last episode I remember that was worth my time was when Monica proposed to Chandler. That was very well done. Every episode since then has been stale and manipulative. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I know I'm in the minority (shocking, I know ).

das
Old 03-03-02, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Anyway, the point I was getting at is that I think the Friends crowd is made up of many groups of people. Some watch because it's familiar and they're just used to watching it on Thursday nights. Some like the easy-to-watch rapid-fire punchline sit-com shows. Some just like the characters. Whatever the reason, I don't think that group of people is a good audience for Leap of Faith. It's not riddled with predictable punch-lines, familiar characters, or zany situations. Whether it's a good show or a bad show, the Friends audience doesn't seem like a good match for that style of program.

das
well said das...I'd agree with you there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.