DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   GLUTTON BOWL #1 (on Fox) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/185445-glutton-bowl-1-fox.html)

Iron Chef 02-20-02 08:57 AM

GLUTTON BOWL #1 (on Fox)

I just heard about this.

THE BIGGEST EATERS ON EARTH CHOW DOWN ON THE ALL-NEW SPECIAL 'GLUTTON BOWL #1: THE WORLD'S GREATEST EATING COMPETITION' THURSDAY, FEB. 21, ON FOX

This gut-busting, eat-'til-you-drop, two-hour special pits 40 larger-than-life contestants against each other in unique competitive eating challenges. In the early rounds, competitors square off in a challenge to see how much or how fast they can consume. The winner in each round earns a spot in the finals, which will be an unbelievable, all-out gorge-fest with a big cash prize. The qualifying round categories will range from huge bowls of mayonnaise to beef tongue to sticks of butter. The final round -- not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach -- will include a surprise"delicacy", and won't end until only one competitor is left standing on the special GLUTTON BOWL #1: THE WORLD'S GREATEST EATING COMPETITON Thursday, Feb 21 (8:00- 10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (SP-0208) (TV-PG)
oh my..

JohnPhoenix 02-20-02 09:01 AM

another quality program for FOX.

we are missing new Ticks, Family Guy, etc, for this?

I'm gonna be sick.

mmconhea 02-20-02 09:20 AM

I'm I the only one that thinks "Who wants to marry a Glutton Bowl Champion" is the direction Fox is heading in?

das Monkey 02-20-02 09:22 AM

Originally posted by mmconhea
I'm I the only one that thinks "Who wants to marry a Glutton Bowl Champion" is the direction Fox is heading in?
:lol:

das

Rico Diablo 02-20-02 10:31 AM

Hilarious!

This truly has to be the lowest that a network can sink. I'm really appalled.

Like Americans need incentive to eat more. *reaches for Nut-rageous*

Iron Chef 02-20-02 10:38 AM

Originally posted by Danger1313

Hilarious!

This truly has to be the lowest that a network can sink. I'm really appalled.

Like Americans need incentive to eat more. *reaches for Nut-rageous*

I am fully confident that Fox can still sink lower.

Gdrlv 02-20-02 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Iron Chef

I am fully confident that Fox can still sink lower.

Fox is always seeking out new ways to sink lower...

Numanoid 02-20-02 02:11 PM

When is Fox going to learn from these shows? Just wait for the guy's heart to explode from O.D.ing on Cheez Whiz and the subsequent lawsuit. Or maybe that is what Fox is hoping for...seems the negative publicity from these reality shows is all they have to go on these days.

Marvdog 02-20-02 09:55 PM

I cant wait :lol:

evanmd 02-21-02 03:23 PM

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
another quality program for FOX.

we are missing new Ticks, Family Guy, etc, for this?

I'm gonna be sick.

The Tick was cancelled :( to bad to because that show was FUNNY! Great casting. Great lines.

"Nope."

"Arthur you have to squeeze the milk of life into a dirty glass and drink it warm."

"He's here to spread his creamy justice all over the nooks and crannies of The City."

Mankal 02-21-02 06:06 PM

I've had such a crappy day today at work, but this quote made me laugh for once. Thanks mmconhea!

CitizenKaneRBud 02-21-02 07:20 PM

Now they're forced to eat sticks of whole butter.

::throws up::

twikoff 02-21-02 07:44 PM

whats worse

that they would actually have a show like this on

or that some of you are actually watching it

:lol:

ClarkKentKY 02-21-02 08:54 PM

This is quite possibly the dumbest and sickest thing i've seen on TV....

I HATE FOX.

They'll cancel good shows, but they'll put this absolute crap on air.

ClarkKentKY 02-21-02 08:58 PM

"We are seeing history here tonight!!!" ????

These comentators must be on something.

Anyone else catch the contestant wearing the Tshirt with a picture of himself on it...

Hannibal 02-21-02 09:48 PM

"Masticate, gurgitate, satiate"

At first I thought this must be a joke , but I recognized the Japanese kid from the Nathan's hotdog contest. Sure enough it was him:
http://espn.go.com/gen/news/2001/0704/1222429.html

Apparently IFOCE is for real: http://www.ifoce.com/

Some interesting things I learned
"The IFOCE will not sanction or promote any events that do not adhere to the highest safety regulations.The IFOCE discourages at-home training. The only training regimen endorsed by the IFOCE is the "Water Method," which is to drink quantities of water over a period of several days in preparation for a match."

Wanna go on the eating circuit?
THE CIRCUIT

Chicken Wings
Philadelphia
January

Matzo Balls
New York
January

Bratwurst
Hanover, Germany
February

Pomme Frites
London, England
February

Jalapeno Peppers
Texas
March

Pickled Quail Eggs
Texas
April

Hot Dogs
National
May, June, July

Pickles
New York
May

Vidalia Onions
Georgia
May

Crawfish
Florida
May

Chicken Eggs
Nebraska
July

Fish (Bass)
Pattani, Thailand
August

Giant Donuts
California
September

Pelemeni
Brighton Beach
September

Ice Cream
New York
October

Hamburger
November
Minnesota

Thanksgiving Meal
(IFOCE Invitational)
New York
November

Pomme Frites
(IFOCE Invitational)
New York
December

Fish
Feifshire, Scotland
December

IFOCE Records

Chicken Wings
137 chicken wings
30 minutes
Bill "El Wingador" Simmons
January 26, 2001

Hamburgers
11 ¼ quarter-pound Willys Garage Cloud Burgers
10 minutes
Donald Lerman
November 10, 2001

Ice Cream
1 gallon, 9 ounces of Max & Mina's vanilla ice cream
12 minutes
Edward "Cookie" Jarvis
October 26, 2001

Jalapenos
152 jalapenos
15 minutes
Jed Donahue
February 21, 2001

Jello
121 ounces
90 seconds
Steven M. Lakind
July 27, 2000

Mince Pie
2 ½ pounds mince pie
30 seconds
Peter Dowdeswell

Three-Course Meal
1 pint oxtail soup, 1 pound mash potato, ½ pound sausage,
½ pound baked beans, 40 prunes
45 seconds
Peter Dowdeswell
June 2001

iawiaw 02-21-02 10:39 PM

For $25K, they kill themselves?! They have a "federation" for these guys?! Man, some of them look like they're gonna have a freaking heart attack - aka the Sonny guy eating the tongue! Intestinal fortitude!? These guys are just soooooo funny! Man, the commentators have me rolling on the floor!

And man, is the presenting chick HOT or what!!!!!

Wizdar 02-21-02 11:04 PM

Originally posted by iawiaw
And man, is the presenting chick HOT or what!!!!!
I donno. That Japanese guy looks pretty darn cute! -eek-

All right, all you thread crappers! Which one of you has the stones to admit you tuned in and stayed for a while? Huh?

:crap: :crap: :crap:

I haven’t had so much fun since my colonoscopy! :lol:

Remember: these are professionals. Do not try this at home!!

rotfl

Scott27 02-21-02 11:30 PM

I watched it until the first commercial. What the **** was that? Horrible. I'm interested to see what the ratings are like for the show.

BTW, did "Badlands" end up winning it? Please spoilerize the answer in case some people haven't seen it yet.

iawiaw 02-21-02 11:38 PM

How the he!! can they eat a second round? Did they like puke themselves out during the break? And Rocky Mountain Oysters?! OH MAN!!!

iawiaw 02-21-02 11:39 PM

Hey Iron Chef, what will you give them to eat?! Crap?! Umm, I meant crab?! 8-D

harpo787 02-21-02 11:44 PM

I pretty much watched the whole thing. It was worthy to see Kobayashi (I'm sure I screwed that up) alone...to watch any other eating event at all not involving this guy would be pointless. I mean 54 brains, and the nearest competitor was like on number 18 or so? He was a machine...and weighing in at 135 pounds, he hardly looked like he could have a heartattack at any moment.

I've got no problem watching stuff like this...just like people who watch NASCAR and things of the like...come on...no one's watching to see a bunch of left turns...they want to see the carnage....same deal here, this is just in a different way (kinda, sorta).

iawiaw 02-21-02 11:59 PM

How is it humanly possible to eat sooooo much stuff?! Does he like have some super digestive enzyme or something? Maybe he's really THE FLY!

videodrome 02-22-02 12:11 AM

wat a gret shoi!i tok tim off from studi to be 1 doctir in cumminitey colluge and shoi was thi bom.miy mothar get stuck in da outhouse during cummercial and i muss sum of shoi but mi annd al miy freinds in traler parrk ar tolking abut it. i hop fox sho moore stuff lik thes or maybee pig wrasslin or a nicee hootananny. io gots go so ikin wach 700 clob an sendd them som ov miy papper moni i gets from govermint.

SnoopDogg 02-22-02 12:44 AM

Originally posted by videodrome
wat a gret shoi!i tok tim off from studi to be 1 doctir in cumminitey colluge and shoi was thi bom.miy mothar get stuck in da outhouse during cummercial and i muss sum of shoi but mi annd al miy freinds in traler parrk ar tolking abut it. i hop fox sho moore stuff lik thes or maybee pig wrasslin or a nicee hootananny. io gots go so ikin wach 700 clob an sendd them som ov miy papper moni i gets from govermint.
ooootaayyy! That was tough reading that.