DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   24 - 2/19/02 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/185334-24-2-19-02-a.html)

AGuyNamedMike 02-19-02 09:04 PM

24 - 2/19/02

Wow! We got the gamut of emotion, plenty of kick-ass action, and a big fiery explosion! I am so enjoying this show, better than a pint of butter almond Frusen Gladje.

CaptDS9E 02-19-02 09:10 PM

Heck ya. When jack said to cover him and i saw him going for the underside of the van, i was like "YEAH BLOW UP THE VAN JACK". Keep the good episodes rolling..........

capt

cynthia 02-19-02 09:11 PM

Before this thread really gets going, can I ask that everyone put anything that was said in the previews for next week's episode in spoiler tags?

I learned to stop watching the previews of this show early on, because they ruin a lot of the cliffhangers for me.

Thanks in advance. :)

I was hoping Rick would shoot Gaines, "Alan York" and that other guy when they were huddled around York.

Have we figured out what's wrong with Terri yet?

das Monkey 02-19-02 09:19 PM

As was said above ...

<B>Please SPOILER tag anything from next week's teaser!</B>

Thanks!

Those jerks at FOX ruin each week with those things.

Anyway, great episode! I could do without the forced heartfelt interaction ("aww ... let's finish our chess game"), but everything else was great!

das

milkshake 02-19-02 09:28 PM

Originally posted by cynthia
I was hoping Rick would shoot Gaines, "Alan York" and that other guy when they were huddled around York.
Yeah, I was wondering why he didn't. I guess it's the usual reason -- it wouldn't make for as good a show...

huzefa 02-19-02 09:44 PM

BTW, to all you people freaked at the thought of accidentally reading about the teaser for next week, don't worry. It doesn't contain anything that couldn't already be seen coming from today's episode. I don't know anymore about next week's plot from having watched the teaser. Anyway, today's show was kick ass. I really wanna see a showdown between him and Gaines, maybe some hardcore matrix style fighting but that's probably overbudget for this kind of show.

D-Ball 02-19-02 10:00 PM

Tonight's episode was alright. They didn't move the plot along that much. And the shoot-out at the end seemed too much like the A-Team where everyone is firing but no one gets hit.
I'm just waiting for the episode where we find out that Jobu is behind the Palmer assassination.

das Monkey 02-19-02 10:05 PM

Originally posted by D-Ball
And the shoot-out at the end seemed too much like the A-Team where everyone is firing but no one gets hit.
When the kid popped out from behind the van spraying bullets at the bad guys, that's the first thing I thought of.

das

AJW 02-19-02 10:07 PM

Another pretty good episode but I could have lived without 99% of the background music. Can they have BEEN more obvious in trying to tug at our hearts and play on our emotions?

There were plenty of little things to nit pick about in this episode but it's still a great series and one of my favs.

P.S. Rosie O'Donnell's Show on Monday 2/25 is scheduled to feature the Cast from 24 - Kiefer Sutherland, Dennis Haysbert, Sarah Clarke, & Elisha Cuthbert

Let's hope Kiefer doesn't spoil the series finale for us :)

Venusian 02-19-02 10:21 PM

i told my roommate that just wehn they look like they are about to get caught, the helicopters would come flying in. He said they probably will get caught...that got me thinking, we are at the half way point. they still got a lot more stuff to fill in. they are probably gonna start having huge twists or come up with entirely new subplots

Deftones 02-19-02 10:32 PM

aaaaak! my tivo didn't record this weeks show! :confused: :mad: :( don't post any spoilers! :lol:

huzefa 02-19-02 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Venusian
i told my roommate that just wehn they look like they are about to get caught, the helicopters would come flying in. He said they probably will get caught...that got me thinking, we are at the half way point. they still got a lot more stuff to fill in. they are probably gonna start having huge twists or come up with entirely new subplots
They don't need any new twists or subplots. There are still subplots in the preceding episodes that haven't been dealt with, such as what's happening to Teri, what's Bauer's connection to Palmer, What's Bauer&Palmer's connection to the masterminds, what is Alberta really upto, and is there really another mole inside CTU?

PacMan2006 02-19-02 11:02 PM

Does anyone know if the ratings for this show are slowly getting better yet? I know after Sutherland got the award, the show got their highest viewer rating with 9 million people. But, has the show gained anymore viewers?

I honestly believe this is a show that not only lived up to the hype, but surpassed it. How can such a great drama NOT get good ratings? And why did Fox put it up against NYPD Blue, or maybe delay the show (though I love it) a month or two due to the terrorist attacks? Basically like what they did for "Collateral Damage" that was supposed to come out in theaters more or less when "24" premiered, but was delayed till February.

Chili Palmer 02-19-02 11:07 PM

Pretty damn good......

Patman 02-20-02 12:05 AM

Maybe it was me, but that wry smile that Terri flashed to Jack when he was telling her that it'd be different between him and her just set off my Spidey-sense. Anyone else feel that way?

I found it interesting that we got to see the John Nash "Prisoner's dilemna" equilibrium problem in action when Alberta put Nina and Tony in separate shake-down rooms.

All in all, a little slow in the middle, but the final 10 minutes more than made up for it.

Kevin8284 02-20-02 12:06 AM

Originally posted by PacMan2006
Does anyone know if the ratings for this show are slowly getting better yet? I know after Sutherland got the award, the show got their highest viewer rating with 9 million people. But, has the show gained anymore viewers?

Nope, it's still around the 9 million viewer mark, I think, which is a mixed blessing because at least the ratings are consistent, not dropping off like other shows.

J-Dubya 02-20-02 12:13 AM

I love this show and still tell people to check it out. I don't pay attention to ratings but tonight's Olympics coverage had Kwan ice skating. My wife watched after 24 was over.

StarWarsBoy 02-20-02 01:02 AM

My only complaint is the same as mentioned at the top. When that kid jumped out from behind the van, my first thought was that he'd been watching too many episodes of Combat Missions and was getting his fighting tactics from the Shadow Squad.

wiz 02-20-02 01:32 AM

Originally posted by StarWarsBoy
My only complaint is the same as mentioned at the top. When that kid jumped out from behind the van, my first thought was that he'd been watching too many episodes of Combat Missions and was getting his fighting tactics from the Shadow Squad.
Well I guess that is why they made up for it and made him get shot when he tried to run away at the end before the van explosion. I think this show is getting better and better, and I have started watching it again. I am glad NYPD Blue was on at 10 PM tonight instead of 9 so I could catch both without flipping back and forth the whole time.

djones6746 02-20-02 05:26 AM

Originally posted by PacMan2006

I honestly believe this is a show that not only lived up to the hype, but surpassed it. How can such a great drama NOT get good ratings? And why did Fox put it up against NYPD Blue, or maybe delay the show (though I love it) a month or two due to the terrorist attacks? Basically like what they did for "Collateral Damage" that was supposed to come out in theaters more or less when "24" premiered, but was delayed till February.

I have watched the last three episodes but it was not because of any award. I finally sat down one evening and watched an episode due to my admiration for Kiefer Sutherland as an actor. Good show....hopefully it will be back next year as I have given up on my other Tuesday show(Roswell) Man, the writing in Roswell has been terrible!!! I hope to see some of the fine young talent in future shows or movies. :)

Patman 02-20-02 07:32 AM

I'm just going to come out and admit that I mainly watch the show because of Elisha Cuthbert (Kim Bauer). :)

Well...

Spoiler:
It took Jack about 12 hours to resolve the family hostage situation, so for the next 12 hours he gets to go into Commando mode for payback!
Muhahahaha!

rfduncan 02-20-02 07:57 AM

Last night, for the first time, I noticed as the show opener started that Fox labeled the show as "broadcast widescreen in digital high definition television" or something to that effect. I have never seen that logo on one of their shows before. Was this the first time 24 had that logo? One good thing about this news is that the eventual DVD release will probably be widescreen and possibly animorphic, no?

Great episode - I too agree there is little time left to up the stakes much more. If the Bauer family escapes in the next hour of the show they have 10 eps left to unravel everything and get into one final coup de gras encounter that ties everything up. What is left is this:

How completely was Jamie involved?
How are Bauer and Palmer connected?
Why the desire to off both Palmer and Bauer?
What is wrong with Terri?
How deep in CTU does this go?
Is Jack's boss still alive and/or in on the whole plot?
What is Alberta Green's dammage?

Among others - please feel free to add ;)

I think from here out, the kid will be interrogated to try to trace back how he was hired and what he has seen to figure out who Gaines is working for then go forward from there. Jack will probably have to spend the better part of an episode proving his innocence to the powers that be at CTU and will probably not get back his old position in full but have to share it with Albert for the remainer of the season. The Palmer (and his wife) storyline? YAWN.... who's Palmer? :)

das Monkey 02-20-02 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Patman
I found it interesting that we got to see the John Nash "Prisoner's dilemna" equilibrium problem in action when Alberta put Nina and Tony in separate shake-down rooms.
I didn't buy that part. Nina wouldn't turn Jack in. Tony knows this. Nina knows Tony knows this. Tony knows Nina knows he knows this. There's no reason for either to break unless one is afraid the other will. As Nina would never break, Tony has no motivation to do so.

das

rfduncan 02-20-02 08:15 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I didn't buy that part. Nina wouldn't turn Jack in. Tony knows this. Nina knows Tony knows this. Tony knows Nina knows he knows this. There's no reason for either to break unless one is afraid the other will. As Nina would never break, Tony has no motivation to do so.
Not to mention that I don't think Tony even knew where Jack was! There was that encounter between Nina and Tony in the hallway right after Jack asked Nina for the satellite map and Nina said nothing about Jack's location (said something like "I want you out of it. This is all on me. It is my mistake."). I think she deliberately kept Tony in the dark for his protection. Having already worked with Alberta Green before, I'm sure Nina suspected that that b!<b></b>tch might try something like this tactic to get someone to crack. Tony did not know the answer to the question she was asking - so he was basically screwed. The best he could have done was admit they had helped him and ratted Nina out for helping Jack.

Dr. Rosenrosen 02-20-02 08:46 AM

Originally posted by Patman

I nearly wet myself when I realized they might be setting up the Prisoner's Dilemma. But as das points out, it's not really a PD if you know the other person won't confess. Or maybe Tony read The Evolution of Cooperation, though I don't think this is a game that would involve repeated play.-biggrin-

Great episode. rfduncan, I'd add to your list if there's any added significance to the Keith 'murder' than just a way to produce more tension during the Palmer scenes.