Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ally McBeal 2/18/02

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ally McBeal 2/18/02

Thank goodness! Jenny got the boot! Jenny was just too darn neurotic. And she's taking Cyclops with her. No biggie.

The rest of the show is shaping up again to be entertaining. The lip syncing with Claire was a hoot. I wonder what all that subplot with lonely Ling was all about. Is Ling coming back or not? I don't know but I don't think she'll be a regular again. Can't believe we'll have to suffer through Claire on a weekly basis, she's creepy.

Victor is too perfect, I'm sure they'll be uncovering some skeletons in his closet soon enough.

At least Ally seems happy enough...until next week's episode where she'll find out of her daughter is really her daughter.
Old 02-18-02, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The lip-synching was wild. Loved it. I'll miss Jenny and "The Boy." I know others didn't like them, but I enjoyed them, and I loved when he sang. Victor's character makes no sense, but Jon Bon Jovi is perfect as he always is. The show still doesn't have near what it used to, but I enjoy it.

das
Old 02-19-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I missed a couple of episodes, but when exactly did Ally have a kid? And how is that kid so old? Did Ally have her when she was 14?
Old 02-19-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
It was two or three episodes ago. She was part of a clinical study many years back which involved harvesting some of her eggs. She was told that she would be informed if any of her eggs were actually used to create a child. She never got a phone call, and ten years later, a girl comes knocking a her door claiming to be her daughter.

In related news, the previews for next week's episode talked about her getting tested to see if she really is the mother along with a scene of Ally kinda in shock, but it could be either good or bad... I think she is either Ally's daughter, or Ally chooses to keep her, regardless, as the daughter has been written into the credits. Bon Jovi has been on the show longer than the daughter, and he is still credited as "special guest star" after the main credits roll.
Old 02-19-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do we need a sticky thread that explains where the kid came from? I swear, every week three more people ask. What does that tell the producers, eh?

das
Old 02-19-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, when the writers pull the Deus Ex Machina rabbit out of the hat to land a kid with Ally, you know that question will get asked time and time again.

Does this mean Josh Hopkins is getting the boot as well since Jenny and Cyclops is outtathere?
Old 02-19-02, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this show is definitely back on track, I was really hating it, and ever since Ally bought the house, I have been diging it again.

I think the daughter subplot is cool, and I am really enjoying seeing Ally as partner. She had a confidence in last night's episode that was great to finally see. I was wondering if she would be a flake for the rest of the series. It's nice to finally see her start to grow as a charachter. Having a daughter has already made her more responsible.

I'm glad the firm is cleaning house. Especially the young guy--he was so bland. And the girl was fine, but did they really need anothr Ally-type character?

I like how they are slowly developing the relationship between Ally & Victor. I think it's cute how you can tell he is really just hanging around to be closer to Ally, but nothing romantic has really happened yet. Just when you thought something might happen last night, Ally fell asleep from her hard week as a parent and a partner. It was so cute how Victor covered her up and kissed her on the head.

I am glad I didn't give up on this show earlier this fall. I am finally enjoying it again!

Last edited by Jadzia; 02-19-02 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-19-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So... they got rid of the cute girl with freckles, and are replacing her with Dame Edna? Do they want people to stop watching the show?

I'm the opposite of some of the other posters here. I've been liking this season so far, but the last few episodes have left me cold. Hopefully, Jenny will appear as a rival lawyer in future episodes and Dame Edna will NOT dominate the future storylines.
Old 02-19-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hell-Loooooooow!!!!

Yikes!
Old 02-19-02, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Tscott
So... they got rid of the cute girl with freckles, and are replacing her with Dame Edna? Do they want people to stop watching the show?
Thank you for being the first to point this out. I was reading these "back on track" responses and thinking much I disagreed.

Folks, I'm as glad as the next person that those new characters are gone, but (1) Peter MacNicol has basically left the show and (2) they just added Dame Edna to the cast!

I will be physically unable to watch this show with Dame Edna in it... even as just a minor character.
Old 02-19-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Does this mean Josh Hopkins is getting the boot as well since Jenny and Cyclops is outtathere?
The departure of these three has been pretty well publicized - the show was delayed for a few weeks to script their departure. Good riddance to all of them, especially since it probably means that Ling is back (she was already reinserted into the credits last night!).

I don't know how much the opening credit sequence means, but it seems that David E. Kelley (who was credited as writing last night's episode) has trashed the ideas that didn't work at the beginning of this season (Jenny, Glen and Raymond) and looks to be bringing back the old cast that worked - minus all of last season's additions (Mark Albert and Jackson Duper) and keeping Corretta on for now. BTW - what happened to Mark? Where did he go?

Not sure how much I like Claire. The bits she was in earlier in the season were funny - but I think she makes me as a VIEWER as uncomfortable as she made her coworkers in the lawsuit from last night. Of course, the same can be said of Elaine sometimes so it may be fun to watch the two duke it out for a few episodes (especially if Ling returns - who had her fair share of words for Elaine after the singing thing!).

I'm definitely back on board with the show after losing interest at the beginning of the season. Keep the kid around too - it definitely gives Ally more to do that just be miserable.

Originally posted by bboisvert
Peter MacNicol has basically left the show
Where did you read this? I have a feeling you will see this character returning.
Old 02-19-02, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really haven't been watching this season except for bits and pieces. I just couldn't stand that Jenny girl. Ugly. Just plain ugly. And her getting the boot was a relief. Is that just a plot thing or are they really gone from the show? Maybe I'll stick around for the rest of the season. I was also suprised to see Ling there acting all nice.

Has Victor sung anything at all yet? Seems like all of Ally's boyfriends at one time or another sang a little tune for her. And this is Bon Jovi we're talking about.
Old 02-19-02, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But watching Elaine "protect" her turf from Claire should be a hoot.
Old 02-19-02, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not convinced Dame Edna will be a permanent addition.

Just because they hired Dame Edna doesn't mean "she will be a regular cast member. She might only occasionally be shown. Or she might not last long.

I still remember how excited I was in the first season when they hired the the transvestite kid (Ricky from My-So Called Life) only to kill him off at the end of the episode.

I still think he would have been a terrific regular cast member. That episode is still my all-time favorite Ally ep, however. What a heartbreaking funny & sad episode that was.
Old 02-19-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Where did you read this? I have a feeling you will see this character returning.
It was pretty widely reported at the beginning of this season that he was only going to be on a handful of episodes and wanted to reduce his role to occasional guest appearances going forward. That's why I said he's "basically" left the show.

I'm sure the character will return every now and then, but he won't be a regular cast member.

Also, I don't know if everyone say this article in the Sun Times last week, call for the end of the show:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/telev...tr-phil11.html
Old 02-19-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been under the impression that Josh Hopkins is staying with the show - of the new "kids", only Julianne Nicholson and James Marsden would be leaving. Anyone know for sure?

I hope they keep Maddy around. She's added a lot to the show. I wonder what they'll do with Jon Bon Jovi when Robert Downey, Jr. comes back.