TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Wonder Years vs. Boy Meets World

Old 02-17-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wonder Years vs. Boy Meets World

It might seem silly posting this poll (I'm guessing it's gonna be ruled by The Wonder Years) But which Savage brother had the better starring vehicle?

During the summer my brother and I watched Boy Meets World about every half hour (DirectTV having Disney Channel East and West)
Old 11-06-05, 11:57 PM

i like the wonder years.
Old 11-06-05, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder Years by a mile.
Old 11-07-05, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder Years by far. Some of the early Boy Meets World were ok but it got incredibly stupid later on.
Old 11-07-05, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
How can this even be a contest... Wonder Years. hands down.
Old 11-07-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Wonder Years even wins THE HOTTER GIRLFRIEND contest hands down

vs
Winnie Cooper
Old 11-07-05, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This one is very tough. One wants to just jump and say the Wonder Years since it was such a wonderfully written and acted show. However, the ending completely pissed me off. First off, Kevin and Winnie do not end up together and we never get to know if they did it in that barn. Plus, they killed off his dad in a voice over!

Now, Boy Meets World has continuity issues. Wonder Years may as well, but I have not seen the entire series recently.

I think overall I am going to have to give a slight win to Boy Meets World. I thought Topanga was hotter, Cory/Shawn had a better friendship than Kevin/Paul, and how can you beat Mr. Feeny?
Old 11-07-05, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmmmmmm i don't know. I think I'd take Topanga over Winnie.
Old 11-07-05, 07:41 AM

Wonder Years & Winnie
Old 11-07-05, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Where's the poll? Looks like we have a double one going on.

Wonder Years & Winnie.

Nightwing, the ending was tacked on after the show was cancelled. They were planning on another season. The network killed it. IMO, the last 2 minute voice over was the only redeeming thing of the entire finale.

To me this is a silly comparison because, IMO, for the most part, the people that grew up on the Wonder Years would have been too old to have gotten into Boy Meets World.
Old 11-07-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder Years (close) and Topanga (not close)
Old 11-07-05, 09:29 AM

Wonder Years

Never watched "Boy Meets World"
Old 11-07-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder Years was by far the better show, but Topanga owns Winnie. Not only was she hotter, she actually was an interesting character. Winnie was just ... Winnie.

das
Old 11-07-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How did Boy Meets World end? I didn't catch much of the last season.
Old 11-07-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wonder Years and Topenga.
Old 11-07-05, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wonder Years & Winnie.

Nightwing, the ending was tacked on after the show was cancelled. They were planning on another season. The network killed it. IMO, the last 2 minute voice over was the only redeeming thing of the entire finale.

To me this is a silly comparison because, IMO, for the most part, the people that grew up on the Wonder Years would have been too old to have gotten into Boy Meets World.
I agree 100% with the vote.

The ending was necessary for closure for the whole series. Anyone who is a true fan of the show (and there are few larger than me, I have every episode on VHS!) knows that it wouldn't be in true WY style to end it with "...and then Winnie and I got married." The show was about the truth of growing up in that time frame. Hardly everything was "peachy keen" in people's lives. The Dad died of cancer, that's a reality. Winnie went to Art School...that's a good thing. Kev married somebody else, that is to be expected. Outside fans think that Kev and Winnie dated for the entire run of the show...hardly the case. Kev had many "companions" throughout the shows run, and the controversial "did they do it or not?" scene in the series finale was, if you remember, them making up because Winnie was hanging out with some other guy. So they both did their part in NOT maintaining 100% commitment to each other.

Anyway, back to the last point...Michael is absolutely correct in that the people who grew up with WY would not have been of age to enjoy BMW. Sure I gave BMW a try (if only because it had a Savage in it) but I was too old to enjoy the humor. Not to mention that it had a more "made for Disney" feel as opposed to the "made for network" sentiments of WY.

I could write about this for an hour, but this damn job is killing me. Norma, make me a sandwich!

Oh, and one more thing. Topanga's blood relation to the Michelin Man make her the clear LOSER in the Winnie vs. Topanga wars.
Winnie by a mile...
Old 11-07-05, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Wonder Years was by far the better show, but Topanga owns Winnie. Not only was she hotter, she actually was an interesting character. Winnie was just ... Winnie.

das
Ditto
Old 11-07-05, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

how can you not go with Topanga and those DSLs...

as for the show, it goes to wonder years. But Boy Meets World wasn't bad. but they really are pretty different shows.
Old 11-07-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wonder years wins this one, in my opinion.

What, no love for Becky Slater? Something was always a little off with her (I remember at least two or three times when she kicked Kevin's ass). Maybe I'm the only one here who is attracted to psycho blond chicks.
Old 11-07-05, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How can you list them in the same sentence????
Wonder Years!

I realize the show was cancelled prematurely but the ending narration was a horrible closure to the show. It reminded me of the Quantum Leap end narration which ended both series unhappily.
Old 11-07-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Forget Danica... Wonder Years was all about Julie Condra and Olivia D'Abo (and the guest appearance by the busty Soliel Moon Frye).
Old 11-07-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
It might seem silly posting this poll
The silliest part is that you didn't actually post a poll.
Old 11-07-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by riley_dude
How can you list them in the same sentence????
Wonder Years!

I realize the show was cancelled prematurely but the ending narration was a horrible closure to the show. It reminded me of the Quantum Leap end narration which ended both series unhappily.
Those are probably my two favorite finales (well the last part of both) of any series. It is a cop out to take the "they lived happily ever after" bullshit path. It takes balls and creativity to strive for something more than the mundane. The QL ending is the most touching of them all. Fans from day one could understand the path chosen. As for Wonder Years, sjhoffm is right:

The show was about the truth of growing up in that time frame. Hardly everything was "peachy keen" in people's lives.
And the truth of it is that the majority of people do not end up with their high school sweethearts, much less grade school ones. It would have been a disservice to fans that watched them grow, to take the easy way out and have them end up together.

Both endings were sad and depressing and I like that. As you can tell from above. Both shows had excellent character development that made you feel everything they went through, making the finales all the more real. Anything but the routine happy send-off gets an A in my book.
Old 11-07-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Those are probably my two favorite finales (well the last part of both) of any series. It is a cop out to take the "they lived happily ever after" bullshit path. It takes balls and creativity to strive for something more than the mundane. The QL ending is the most touching of them all. Fans from day one could understand the path chosen. As for Wonder Years, sjhoffm is right:

And the truth of it is that the majority of people do not end up with their high school sweethearts, much less grade school ones. It would have been a disservice to fans that watched them grow, to take the easy way out and have them end up together.

Both endings were sad and depressing and I like that. As you can tell from above. Both shows had excellent character development that made you feel everything they went through, making the finales all the more real. Anything but the routine happy send-off gets an A in my book.
The whole entire show was built on Kevin's love for Winnie. Why then make it that they dont get together?
Old 11-07-05, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Topanga was Soo much better than Winnie that It makes me believe that some of you people here are retarded

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.