DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Sex and the City (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/182650-sex-city.html)

BartleyR7 03-21-01 08:08 PM

Does anybody know when Sex and the City (season 4) is supposed to begin? I looked on HBO's website and couldn't find a specific date.

Thanks for any help!

Pillowhead 03-21-01 10:46 PM

Sometime in June. I don't know when exactly though.

JoeC 03-21-01 10:51 PM

It doesn't matter. Sarah Jessica still won't show anything.

JoeC...a shame, really...

CPA-ESQ. 03-22-01 03:33 PM

I'd rather see Kim Catrel!

Anything but that Red Head, I just don't dig her - she's too skinny and her hair is too short.

jonathan.e 03-22-01 06:02 PM

mmmmmmm...Charlotte

Gizmo 03-22-01 07:49 PM

Does anyone know if Arli$$ for renewed?

JoeC 03-23-01 12:25 AM

Gizmo, Arli$$ should be back in the summer per the HBO rep I talked to last week.

JoeC...and the promo tape I watched...

Pillowhead 03-23-01 03:19 AM

Originally posted by CPA-ESQ.
I'd rather see Kim Catrell!

Oh YEAH!

grunter 03-23-01 07:23 AM

June 3, 2001 is the premiere date for the 4th season.

Jadzia 03-23-01 08:37 AM

I hope Curb Your Enthusiasm comes back too. For awhile last summer that was a good Sunday night block of TV, Sex & the City followed by CYE.

JoeC 03-23-01 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Jadzia
I hope Curb Your Enthusiasm comes back too. For awhile last summer that was a good Sunday night block of TV, Sex & the City followed by CYE.
I can confirm that, too. CYE and Oz are both coming back.

JoeC

BRDeckard 07-10-01 10:56 PM

Sex and the City question

Hey all, I've never seen this show, but with all the great DVD Season sets out and me buying them (mostly sci fi though like stargate sg1, v, farscape, x files) I started to wonder if I should get Sex and the City seasons also.
I like Sarah Jessica Parker but not sure if the tone of the series is what I would like.
Please tell me how does it play out, what is comparable to. Does it feel like a satirical black comedy, like State and Main, Hurlyburly, Short Cuts. Or is it just boring stupid pretentious cliched dating like terrible Body Shots and Dog Park. That is if you've seen the movies I'm comparing to.

das Monkey 07-11-01 06:29 AM

Neither. First off, if you like Sarah Jessica Parker, you've got a good start. It's difficult to compare Sex and the City to something else, because it really is far better than anything it resembles. Here's the essential story: 4 women, all in New York, all fairly successful and single (when the story starts).

Carrie: Writes an intelligent sex column for the New York Star.
Miranda: Corporate lawyer.
Samantha: Aging Public Relations hotshot. Complete sexaholic
Charlotte: Runs an art gallery. A little younger than the rest. Much more "ladylike"

Anyway, the story centers around these four common women and their different approaches to various situations. Each episode is built around a single premise that Carrie is exploring in her column. That premise usually appears in four different incarnations for the different women. As the show progressed, Charlotte got married, and this has added even more dimension to the show.

At its heart, it's a romantic comedy of the best variety, because it's not melodramatic or implausible or sappy... it's very real. The characters are real, the situations are common, and the stories are incredibly intelligent. It's on HBO and it's about sex, so everyone gets a little naked periodically, and there's lots of foul language, because the show is about these four women who are in touch with their sexuality and struggling with being single and in their 30s (except Samantha who's older).

I'm rambling. Suffice to say, it's a very good show. Some people don't like it, and I suspect it's because they get bogged down in the sexuality and miss the point or simply just don't enjoy a good romantic comedy. It's definitely a great show for the ladies. It's not black comedy, and it's certainly not cliche. If you've ever spoken to someone of the opposite sex, you'd probably enjoy this show.

das

palebluedot 07-11-01 07:58 AM

Not to mention the fact that this show actually makes me laugh out loud. It is a very good show, one of my favorites. It is one you definitely want to watch from the beginning because although each show is different in its own way there are also sub-plots for each character that have been going on since the beginning and there are refrences made to those sub-plots in almost every show.

BRDeckard 07-11-01 09:09 AM

Thanks to both of you, I got the general feeling and idea what it's like

conscience 07-11-01 10:46 AM

I agree that it also makes me laugh out loud.
All of the sarcastic wit from them all.
The four of them are very great together. They play off of each other very well.

And Samantha.....aaaaeeeeehhhhh....is hot.

renaldow 07-11-01 11:21 AM

Before you buy it, just go to a library or bookstore and find Candace Bushnell's Sex and The City. Read the first chapter, and you'll know everything you need to about the series.

If you're hooked, get the book and the DVD's. If you find it annoying, you just saved $60!

WarriorPrincess 07-12-01 01:00 AM

I disagree about the book...
I actually bought the book because I love the show so much - but the book just doesn't have the same chemistry, imo. The show adds so many nuances and so much life and individuality to the characters, whereas the book (while including the raunch and the humor) lacks the heart and continuity that the show has. If in doubt, rent the first season dvd set. I've shown it to several of my friends, and hooked every one of them on the show.

renaldow 07-12-01 11:52 AM

You are the only one I've heard say that about the book, especially since the first season is ripped straight from the pages of it. Interesting that you would like one and not the other.

Although, if you read the book because you liked the series, then I can see how you might be disappointed as you're used to one and not the other. I think you'd feel differently if you'd read the book first, IMHO.

DodiN 07-25-01 12:43 PM

Sex and the City current season is???

Which season is currently on right now?
I have one and two on DVD-are we currently in season 4?
Thanks,
D

mee2 07-25-01 12:58 PM

It's season #3, i'm pretty sure it is.

DodiN 07-25-01 12:59 PM

I'm actually positive its not 3 but either 4 or 5.
Anyone?

das Monkey 07-25-01 01:36 PM

It's season 4. You can bet <B>mee2</b>'s life on it.

das

DodiN 07-25-01 02:46 PM

Thanks das!

Any thoughts on Season 3 on DVD?

TheBang 08-02-01 03:53 PM

Originally posted by DodiN
Thanks das!

Any thoughts on Season 3 on DVD?

If HBO continues to follow the current release pattern of Sex and the City and The Sopranos on DVD:

Sopranos Season 2 - Nov 2001 (already announced)
Sex and the City Season 3 - May 2002
Sopranos Season 3 - Nov 2002
Sex and the City Season 4 - May 2003

etc.