DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   SciFi swings the axe again... Buhbye, Chronicle (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/182099-scifi-swings-axe-again-buhbye-chronicle.html)

adamblast 02-08-02 02:42 PM

SciFi swings the axe again... Buhbye, Chronicle

They've been promoting the hell out of this show for the past couple months, so I figured it must have a secure future... But it looks like they've decided to can it after all...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-m...2/07/09.50.sfc

Wish they'd hurry up with the Farscape eps already... It's pretty damn_lame to go on a 6+ months hiatus in the middle of a frigging season...

Who in the world is in charge of their programming? They seem to be alienating their core audience these days in an unsuccessful (so far) attempt to broaden their demographics...

das Monkey 02-08-02 03:47 PM

Jesus Christ! The Sci-Fi Channel is sh|t. What is wrong with these people? When I heard they were the main player in a new <I>Babylon 5</I>, I was excited since I figured they'd do right by the show. But now the thought of flipping my DirecTV to 244 just makes me sick. <I>I-Man</I> was easily their second best original show, and <I>The Chronicle</I> was third. And <I>Farscape</I>, by far their best show, disappears mid season for 6 months? Bonnie Hammer and all the idiots at that network need a serious beating. I'm already bootlegging <I>Farscape</I> from the UK, so when they finally remove their heads from their asses and show the remaining episodes of Season 3 (which kick ass btw), guess who won't be seeing their ads or giving them ratings points? And I'm not the only one.

They will NEVER ... NEVER ... NEVER see high ratings. <I>Farscape</I> is the best Sci-Fi show on television, and it only hits around a 1.0 most weeks. Who the hell are they trying to attract by cancelling all their good shows and alienating the science fiction fans? Do they think <I>Lexx</I> is going to pull the numbers? Or that crappy remake of <I>The Outer Limits</I>? I have an open mind and a wild imagination, and I don't even watch those shows.

I'd wish Hammer would read the fans' comments, but it's becoming more clear to me that Hammer can't read at all or even form a coherent thought. Until word comes down on <I>Rangers</I>, I am now on official Sci-Fi Channel boycott. I will bootleg all their shows (the remaining few that are left). Funny thing is ... I'm staring at 3 Nielsen Diaries on my desk, all of which were going to get filled out with lots of Sci-Fi Channel shows ... not now. I'll still fill out all three with the 5pm showing of <I>I-Man</I> today and tonight's <I>The Chronicle</I> as a personal slap in the face. It's obvious they don't care about their core audience, but what I don't understand is who else watches the channel but us Sci-Fi geeks? When we're gone, who's left?

Note to Bonnie Hammer: BITE ME

das

clemente 02-08-02 03:53 PM

The only question is when does Farscape get axed.

Sure, I love it, you love it, we all wanna make love with Claudia Black.....its their top show, but Sci-Fi seems to make decisions with a freakin blind fold and a dart board. Sliders, although no longer at its creative prime was at its ratings prime at Sci-Fi when it got axed.

I know they have "committed" to Farscape for two more season's but its gotta be an expensive show to produce and eventually thats gonna catch up with it.

Do they think Lexx will make up for it?? How the hell is that show still on the air, it fraggin sucks ass!

bboisvert 02-08-02 03:56 PM

Once again, my comment will be "yeah, what das said".

How can dreck like Outer Limits, Lexx, or -- dear God -- Crossing Over still be on the air if they are cancelling these decent shows? And what the hell kind of audience grabbing strategy is it to pull your best (and highest rated) show off the air in the middle of a season? I love Farscape, but I lost my excitement for seeing those last 4 episodes months ago.

I used to be excited that the Sci-Fi Channel may be getting the new B5 show... but now I'm starting to think that it may have a better shot on a different network. They seem to really have "Fox Syndrome" right now ... failing to let a show gain an audience and failing to accept that they aren't one of the "big 3" networks and shouldn't expect stellar ratings for *any* show.

Grrrrr...

Eclipse 02-08-02 08:43 PM

farscape is their best show??? Damn I thought it was okay, but okay at the very best. The Chronicle was just stupid looking. Invisible Man, that I liked. Not enough to watch it regularly, but I liked it.

E

AmazingColossalPumaMan 02-09-02 07:49 PM

Remind me again, why do I still watch this network? They can every decent show, yet LEXX (which I thought was one of the worst things on tv...until they aired that Black Scorpion anyway) is still on the air?

And I'll join in with a "What the frell?" in regards to how they're handling Farscape. I'm looking for the last 4 episodes now (just saw 319), and why bother watching the network anymore until season 4 starts.

Oh, and who else thinks that the SFC executives will pick up Rangers, then pull it because JMS didn't want to add a stupid robot head and make John Edward a recurring character? Well, maybe not, but still...

bboisvert 02-09-02 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Eclipse
farscape is their best show??? Damn I thought it was okay, but okay at the very best.
Not a criticism at all (after all, different strokes for different folks), but just a question... have you watched a lot of episodes in order, or just caught a random one here or there to just think the show is "okay"?

I just ask because I started off just catching a few random episodes from season 1 and though "not bad, decent FX, the puppet work is good", but I didn't think it was anything special.

Then I saw one of the story arcs from season 2 in its entirety, loved it, and went back to watch every episode in order. I now feel that it is one of the best programs currently on television.

mllefoo 02-09-02 08:27 PM

The SciFi channel is run by people who went to the Fox School of Programming. The theory is to add a couple of shows to the line up, get a core audience, then start switching days and times the popular shows are on, then axe them when they get crappy ratings.

Sounds like Chronicle is SciFi's Family Guy...

Of course one of my biggest pet peeves is after they can all the cool shows then show repeat after repeat of the same damn_episode of whatever they've got left. That's more of an animal planet thing, though sci fi has been known to do this to a vomitrocious degree.

clemente 02-10-02 05:30 PM

Originally posted by mllefoo
Sounds like Chronicle is SciFi's Family Guy...

Except that Family Guy is good.....

das Monkey 02-10-02 05:34 PM

Originally posted by clemente
Except that Family Guy is good.....
Haha ... yeah, the difference is that <I>Family Guy</I> is one of the best shows on ALL the channels, whereas <I>The Chronicle</I> is simply one of the best shows on a network that only has like 6 shows to begin with, 4 of which are worse than amateur footage of my grandmother's trip to Tuesday Night Bingo.

das

Tuan Jim 02-10-02 10:49 PM

How much of Farscape's production is really handled by Scifi? I mean we're like 2 seasons behind the UK and Australia. Are they really doing that much besides showing it here in the US?

Tuan Jim

gdjohnson 02-11-02 11:37 PM

The Chronicle wasn't really that good and seemed to be slipping to places even real tabloids don't good and that's hard to do. SciFi was a channel I had wanted to watch and recently it was added to our cable system. Well have a been dispointed. I can't stand Crossing over which seems to be on every night along with reruns of Tales of the crypt. The special movies they show are a bright spot so I keep hoping they will get better.
Greg

clemente 02-12-02 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
How much of Farscape's production is really handled by Scifi? I mean we're like 2 seasons behind the UK and Australia. Are they really doing that much besides showing it here in the US?

Tuan Jim

We're a few episodes behind the UK and Australia. I read somewhere recently that Channel 9, Australia's Farscape home stopped paying its production share for the show, but apparently it can go on. If Sci-Fi did decide to not carry the show, I don't imagine it would bode well for the show as a whole.