Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

24 for 5-Feb-02

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hondo21
Agreed, but what about the two Einsteins who pulled him over in the first place? Think about it -- why did they pull Jack over? They were specifically looking for him after his escape, so wouldn't they know he was "armed and dangerous" and would be a risk to flee? How stupid were they to just pull up behind and then slowly approach the vehicle like it's a routine traffic stop. They should have blocked his vehicle in the front driver side, jumped out with both guns squarely aimed at Jack's head.

Over all it's an enjoyable show and I'll keep watching. But it's easy to pick at these kind of details.

I also think still think that the whole 747 blowing up in the sky overnight and then no apparent news coverage in the morning is ridiculous. Primary day or not the news media focus would be on the plane crash, not what Palmer is doing. We've seen not one word about the plane since sunrise. Is this being de-emphasized now due to 9/11?
Good points. I've given up on nitpicking for awhile since I'm just trying to enjoy the show (I've just resigned myself to believe that all cops are just idiots...in the movies and on TV anyway), but I totally forgot about the plane blowing up. Maybe it's because of 9/11...but I'm thinking that it's just an oversight.

Old 02-07-02, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they just followed standard police procedure by pulling him over. After all, they weren't sure it was him, they just had a general description of a suspect. They saw a guy fitting the description, driving government plates, so they decided to pull him over. They can't just rush him, it could have been an innocent guy.

And not looking under the cars, I think was just showing the cops were kind of dumb. I would imagine CIA agents probably think regular cops aren't that bright.
Old 02-07-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hondo...

I see what you are saying, but what did you want the show to do? Focus on a television report on the local news regarding the plane crash? It probably was reported, but it's simply not the main focus of the show anymore, so why should we still be informed about it? Unless new details come in later that the plane crash is still somehow related, there's no point in hearing about it.

We also saw the news coverage on it when Palmer was watching it around 1 or 2 am that night.
Old 02-07-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
I think they just followed standard police procedure by pulling him over. After all, they weren't sure it was him, they just had a general description of a suspect. They saw a guy fitting the description, driving government plates, so they decided to pull him over. They can't just rush him, it could have been an innocent guy.
A few years ago I bought a new car, and in Ontario you have 2 days to transfer ownership and registration of the plates. Well, the night I bought the car was my buddy's birthday so we took him out for a couple of drinks.

Now picture this: I'm driving, my buddy, who at this point was very sloshed, was in the passenger seat, and another friend was in the back seat.

We're driving along at about 1:30am when the guy in the back points out "Watch your speed, there's a cop behind you". Alright, I maintain the limit up to the approaching red light. As the red turns green a car on the approaching side pulls a U-turn through the intersection. Right in front of the cop! Ha ha! "Busted!" we thought.

Well, we get through the intersection and the cop puts on the cherries, seemingly to pull this guy over. Except this guy stops so sharply that I had no choice but to stop as well, and I couldn't pull out because the cop was right at my bumper.

Then, all of a sudden, three more squad cars pull up at angles to my door. "WTF?" is all I'm thinking as my door gets opened for me. "You, in the vehicle, put your hands up! Driver, reach down and undo your seat belt with your left hand," was the order issued to me by the cop with his gun in my face. My friend in the backseat went apesh*t, yelling "I'm black, and they always shoot the black guy!!"

Shaken as I was, I began to reach down with my right hand. "YOUR LEFT HAND!" was all it took for me to thrust my right hand up in the air and undo with my left. I was hustled out of the vehicle and frisked as the passenger door was opened and a gun trained on my two friends.

My drunk friend had won a t-shirt at the bar that evening and it was sitting in his lap. "Just so you know, there's nothing under this shirt, okay?" he told his attendant officer as he threw the shirt up onto the dashboard.

I had my ID run through the computer and it came back clean, so the guns were put away as I explained that I had just purchased the car and hadn't switched the ownership yet. Apparently a report of a stolen car had come in and as my plates didn't match the car's description, we were deemed a threat. I was gruffly informed that I should do it as swiftly as possible next time (advice I took to heart).

So trust me, if they think you are a danger, cops decend on you in packs. They won't just mosey up to you like on '24'. That said, I never even connected the events in the program with my story until I read Jadzia's post. Such a good show.

Last edited by Fanboy; 02-07-02 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-07-02, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hondo...

I see what you are saying, but what did you want the show to do? Focus on a television report on the local news regarding the plane crash? It probably was reported, but it's simply not the main focus of the show anymore, so why should we still be informed about it? Unless new details come in later that the plane crash is still somehow related, there's no point in hearing about it.
I don't think they need to focus on it for our sake, but there have been many shots of TV sets on in the background during the morning and all they are ever showing is Palmer. I'm just saying that in reality you would expect almost wall-to-wall coverage of a plane crash on the news. Just a nit I wanted to pick.