TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Family Guy 2-7

Old 02-02-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Family Guy 2-7

I'll bump this when the time comes.

European Road Show

"Brian and Stewie stow away on a plane they think is bound for England. They're wrong, and soon they're in Saudi Arabia, at the beginning of a long, strange trip back home. Meanwhile, back in the U.S., Peter and Lois have an odd encounter with KISS (whose members provide their own voices). Andy Dick also has a voice cameo as himself, and Michael McKean gives voice to a pig. "

2-14 will be the last episode

Viewer Mail
Old 02-02-02, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Family Guy 2-7

Originally posted by tygloalex
2-14 will be the last episode

Old 02-02-02, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Family Guy 2-7

Originally posted by Goat3001

Double
Old 02-02-02, 10:15 PM

FOX
Old 02-03-02, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mmconhea
FOX
hey, look: they're not running a charity, here. It's a business. Family Guy has gotten dreadful ratings for its entire run. They've kept it around for, what, like three seasons. That's not bad. They gave it the ultimate launch date -- after the Superbowl. If anyone liked it, they had a chance to stick with it, The show was not critically acclaimed, in fact it was lambasted. I personally found it in very poor taste a lot of the time, and without the edge of a South Park, which would have offset some of the dubious jokes. I can understand that you're disappointed that a show you like is going, but be fair; this isn't like cancelling The Tick. Family Guy had a fair shot, it just didn't work out. That's the TV biz, move on....
Old 02-03-02, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by Decker

hey, look: they're not running a charity, here. It's a business. Family Guy has gotten dreadful ratings for its entire run. They've kept it around for, what, like three seasons. That's not bad. They gave it the ultimate launch date -- after the Superbowl. If anyone liked it, they had a chance to stick with it, The show was not critically acclaimed, in fact it was lambasted. I personally found it in very poor taste a lot of the time, and without the edge of a South Park, which would have offset some of the dubious jokes. I can understand that you're disappointed that a show you like is going, but be fair; this isn't like cancelling The Tick. Family Guy had a fair shot, it just didn't work out. That's the TV biz, move on....
I respectfully disagree. Fox has moved around Family Guy constantly in horrible time slots, and canceled it twice. I think it was doomed before it every started. It's up against Who's Line, Charmed, Smackdown, Friends, and Survivor. That's just ridiculous. Crap like Bernie Mac and the 80's show gets nice time slots against practically nothing. Just my opinion. And btw, The Tick was canceled also.
Old 02-03-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And btw, The Tick was canceled also.
I guess I didn't make that point obvious enough. The Tick was cancelled after five airings opposite tough CBS and NBC line ups. It was critically praised and never got a chance to find an audience. Yes Family Guy was bounced around a lot, but it did get a fighting chance. Different time slots were tried, including Sunday night, which is Fox's strength. Maybe it settled into a crap time slot and a lot of people didn't realize it was still on, but like I said above : IT DEBUTED AFTER THE SUPERBOWL. If that isn't a high profile start, nothing is. If you were a Fox exec., how long would you keep the show going? Animated shows notoriously flop in prime time. You can count the number of successful animated series on prime time tv in the past twenty years on one hand -- even if you lost two or three fingers in an industrial accident. If I were the exec, I might try to shop the show to Comedy Central or The Cartoon Network, but eventally you just have to cut your losses.
Do you agree with me about that at least?
Old 02-03-02, 09:19 AM

I agree completely. I can see what you are saying. But one Super Bowl start doesn't equate to being moved around a lot and then put it in probably the worst spot on television. But actually, neither one of us can rightfully determine if it should be canceled. The bottom line is : How much does an episode cost vs. How much does and episode make? If the cost is higher than the net, then yes it should be canceled. I just don't want it to be.
Old 02-03-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree completely. I can see what you are saying. But one Super Bowl start doesn't equate to being moved around a lot and then put it in probably the worst spot on television. But actually, neither one of us can rightfully determine if it should be canceled. The bottom line is : How much does an episode cost vs. How much does and episode make? If the cost is higher than the net, then yes it should be canceled. I just don't want it to be.
An economics nitpick - in addition to the "does it make more than it costs" question, the network execs need to ask "could another show put in this slot result in more profit than this one?"
Old 02-03-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of off-topic, but has anyone seen the episode banned by Fox, When You Wish Upon A Weinstein? I tried downloading it off of Morpheus, but of course what happens many times on there it turned out NOT to be the episode stated. It was Death Is A Bitch I think. Anyway if anyone has seen it or has access to it how about helping me out here?
Old 02-03-02, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by Duran

An economics nitpick - in addition to the "does it make more than it costs" question, the network execs need to ask "could another show put in this slot result in more profit than this one?"
But then it could get moved to a different time slot.
Old 02-03-02, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Kind of off-topic, but has anyone seen the episode banned by Fox, When You Wish Upon A Weinstein? I tried downloading it off of Morpheus, but of course what happens many times on there it turned out NOT to be the episode stated. It was Death Is A Bitch I think. Anyway if anyone has seen it or has access to it how about helping me out here?
I am like the family guy guru and I've never seen any of it or the unaired pilot either. Don't think I ever will, either.
Old 02-03-02, 07:33 PM

I enjoy the show, it leaves no groups unscathed so if you are easily offended dont watch it. But if you arent overly sensative and can see a joke when one is thrown out at you its a good show. I dont find it nearly as bad as South Park, to me its a little more intelegent than that.
Old 02-04-02, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've always thought the Family Guy was a Comedy Central - type program.

They could get away with a lot more, anyway. Hopefully, it'll get picked up by another network.
Old 02-04-02, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Kaffe_02
I enjoy the show, it leaves no groups unscathed so if you are easily offended dont watch it. But if you arent overly sensative and can see a joke when one is thrown out at you its a good show. I dont find it nearly as bad as South Park, to me its a little more intelegent than that.
Actually South Park has very mature themes sometimes (Stem Cell Research) come to mind
Old 02-04-02, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Family Guy is the funnier show, but South Park is the more intelligent. South Park does the better job of concentrating on a popular relevant theme and pointing out the hypocrisy of our reactions. Family Guy has more obscure pop-culture references and "out there" funny situations. I love them both, but when it comes to social commentary, South Park takes home the prize.

das
Old 02-04-02, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Family Guy is the funnier show, but South Park is the more intelligent. South Park does the better job of concentrating on a popular relevant theme and pointing out the hypocrisy of our reactions. Family Guy has more obscure pop-culture references and "out there" funny situations. I love them both, but when it comes to social commentary, South Park takes home the prize.

das
I don't hink Family Guy is going for social commentary. It's just making fun of everything. Which, unfortunately, alienates all its sponsors.
Old 02-04-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't hink Family Guy is going for social commentary. It's just making fun of everything. Which, unfortunately, alienates all its sponsors.
Oh, I'm certainly not complaining ... just debunking the comment that South Park isn't as intelligent.

das
Old 02-04-02, 12:13 PM

I knew that.

I think Familgy Guy is "intelligent" on a different level. Don't you think?. While South Park has meaningful plots with demented but realistic morals, Family Guy throws a continuous series of quick one-two punches- referencing popular culture, muyths and even seems to read my mind. I'ved noticed my friends that aren't too smart/quick/intelligent, tend to watch a whole Family Guy and miss most of the jokes. It's like woosh.--Right over their heads.
Old 02-04-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew that.

I think Familgy Guy is "intelligent" on a different level. Don't you think?.
Absolutely.

das
Old 02-04-02, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey

Absolutely.

das
Agreed as well. The smarter you are, the funnier it is.
Old 02-06-02, 08:20 PM

bump for tomorrow's episode