TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

question about premium movie channels

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 03:31 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about premium movie channels

Not sure if this should be posted here, but I was wondering if anybody knows a way to figure out which movie channels will get certain movies. I assume channels are often associated with movie studios, but I don't usually pay attention to who the movie studio is. I was in Hollywood Video today and I only saw one film that I wanted to see in their dvd section and then I went to their vhs selection and saw something like 15 films I want to see. Of course it's worth renting the dvd, but I have HBO and Starz and figure there's no reason to rent on vhs if I can see it on TV anyway.
Old 02-01-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The movie channels actually bid on the right to show movies (for newer movies) so there isn't too much of an actual correllation between any particular premium channel and movie studio.

Probably your best bet is to just do a search on Gist TV or some other TV listing and see if they're on Starz or HBO.
Old 02-01-02, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... HBO should get most Warner releases, since HBO is a division of AOL Time Warner....
Old 02-02-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clemente
The movie channels actually bid on the right to show movies (for newer movies) so there isn't too much of an actual correllation between any particular premium channel and movie studio.
I don't know how it is now, but it used to be that HBO/Cmax had contracts with certain studios, and Showtime/MChannel had contracts with others. So, when a movie 'premiered' on pay cable it would definitely go to one or the other automatically.

The smaller pay cable channels like Starz, Encore, Bravo, etc.. bid on the scraps of HBO and Showtime, and I think that is what you may be referring to.
Old 02-02-02, 04:12 PM

Here is the best I can come up with( it may be wrong)

Showtime/TMC

Paramount ( HBO contract ended in 97)
Artisan
MGM
Lions Gate

HBO/ CMAX

Warner
Fox
Sony- Columbia Tri Star

Starz/ Encore

Disney- Touchstone & Mirimax
New Line- ( Which is part of Time Warner)
Most Universal- I have seen NEW releases on HBO