Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It was bound to happen, First a syndicated Weakest Link,

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Just wondering, Would you like to see more Game Shows back in Daytime?
Yes, bring on the classics like Let's Make A Deal & Press Your Luck
91.67%
Hey no, let's keep those talk shows & soap operas coming!
8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

It was bound to happen, First a syndicated Weakest Link,

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now a syndicated 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire'

<small>NEW YORK (AP) -- Someone else besides Regis Philbin will be seeking final answers on the daytime version of "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

Philbin has declined two offers to be host of the five-day-a-week syndicated show, his agent, Jim Griffin, told the New York Post on Friday.

Griffin's announcement came as something of a surprise, since the show's producers, Buena Vista Television, had been negotiating with him.

Also, ratings for ABC's prime-time version of the show have faded to the point it's not certain it will be back next season. The daytime "Millionaire," which starts next fall, is likely to air for many years to come.

"Regis is my first choice, and has always been my first choice," said the game show's executive producer, Michael Davies. "Until I actually tape the first episode in seven months and I don't see Regis in the host seat, I don't think that I'll believe that he won't be hosting."

Philbin was the hottest star on television two years ago when "Millionaire" was riding high. But its ratings are down, and Philbin wasn't happy when an ABC executive in November expressed uncertainty about its return.

Griffin, who did not return calls seeking comment Friday, told the Post that "Regis already has a full plate and it's not like he needed another job."

Buena Vista, through a spokeswoman, said it was disappointed in the decision. </small>

Personally I like the Weakest Link & Millionaire. The syndicated WL is pretty funny, so I'll give Millionaire a try. Can't be any worst than that God Awful new version of Card Sharks. What were they thinking?

Last edited by bigjim25; 01-21-02 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-21-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't watch Millionaire because I hate it. I watch Weakest Link sometimes, but will only watch when Anne is the host, so I won't watch the syndicated one.

I would like to see Press Your Luck come back, but it would need to be on when like Hollywood Squares, Wheel of Fortune, etc are on. Not primetime.
Old 01-21-02, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Wammys, No Wammys, No Wammys

STOP
Old 01-21-02, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This fall, Sony is bringing back the Pyramid, with Donny Osmond as host. No word on what the top prize will be. Also, I heard that next month, a pilot will be shot for a possible revivial of Press Your Luck for Game Show Network, not syndication.

I would like to see a revival of PYL, but unfortunately if it comes about, it would be from the same company that did the now-cancelled Card Sharks 2001, which was horrible.
Old 01-21-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You just know that if they revive "Press Your Luck", they're going to screw around with the show. It's a very simple premise, but someone somewhere is getting paid a seven-figure salary to think of ideas to ruin it, exactly like "Card Sharks".
Old 01-22-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They've been running promos for the syndicated version for weeks now. More than a couple times a week is too much.
Old 01-22-02, 11:37 AM

I've worked in the audience a few times on the Weakest Link. The daytime host is really funny. He gets vulgar and gets some really funny lines in. He jokes alot with the contestants. Unfortunitly they edit out all the good stuff out to make it a half hour show. It takes about 2 hrs to film each half hour show. The shows Ann hosts are boring.