Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Hawk Down special in History channel tonight (1/21)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

9pm history channel is having a show about "the real story of black hawk down"
Old 01-21-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w00t!
Old 01-21-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
I watched a fantastic special on this story on CNN this weekend. It was an hour long, and they interviewed a lot of the survivors as well as a number of Somali fighters and witnesses as well. It was harrowing and disturbing. I wonder if this is the same special or a different one tonight.
Old 01-21-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
I watched a fantastic special on this story on CNN this weekend. It was an hour long, and they interviewed a lot of the survivors as well as a number of Somali fighters and witnesses as well. It was harrowing and disturbing. I wonder if this is the same special or a different one tonight.
After seeing the movie on Friday night, I caught the CNN special Saturday. I was amazed at how realistic and accurate the movie portrayed the events. Almost everything described by the survivors in the special was depicted in the movie, and apparently not a lot of artistic license was taken with the film (always a good thing).

Thanks for letting me know about The History Channel's Special. I'll definatley try to ckeck it out.
Old 01-21-02, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
widescreen baby
Old 01-21-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will CNN, or The History Channel repeat the specials?
Old 01-21-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by smokedragon
Will CNN, or The History Channel repeat the specials?
It airs again tonight in my area at 1 am. I would imagine this would be universal.

-Steve
Old 01-21-02, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ

After seeing the movie on Friday night, I caught the CNN special Saturday. I was amazed at how realistic and accurate the movie portrayed the events. Almost everything described by the survivors in the special was depicted in the movie, and apparently not a lot of artistic license was taken with the film (always a good thing).
And always something of a dangerous possibility given Jerry Bruckheimer's involvement (see: Pearl Harbor).

Matt
Old 01-22-02, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

This CNN special is scheduled to run again this weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Saturday at 1 pm CST I believe and like 3 times on Sunday.

I assume this is a *different* documentary than the one shown on the History Channel referenced in this thread. The one on THC is 2 hrs in length.

Just a heads up out there for folks that are interested.....
Old 01-22-02, 03:15 PM

I saw in another topic that the one on The History Channel will be replayed Saturday at 8:00 PM ET.
Old 01-22-02, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

great show
Old 01-23-02, 02:06 AM

Definitely not for the light at heart though...it had been eight years since I had seen those images of the dead American soldiers being dragged and mutilated in the streets of Mog...a good documentary on the subject though..it was nice to see at least one Delta talk about it (Arnsdale)...
Old 01-26-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Just saw the History Channel special. It was pretty good, but I preferred the CNN one. "Re-enactments" aways make me uncomfortable in documentaries. Still, it was well done and I liked the considerable insight provided by the author of Black Hawk Down. I wonder if he'll provide a commentary track for the DVD (a la The Perfect Storm). I also wonder if either of these docs might make the disc. Wasn't that bloodsport documentary on Ridley Scott's Gladiator from The History Channel? That might be a good sign for his next DVD
Old 01-26-02, 09:35 PM
Banned

but I preferred the CNN one.
Can someone tell me when this one will be repeated? I checked tv listings and can't find it.
Old 01-28-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm glad I checked here as I caught this show on Saturday on the Discovery Channel. Very informative - I wonder if it will be included on the DVD release of Black Hawk Down....
Old 01-29-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it may be on the DVD release, as the documentary goes over a lot of the things that were emphasized in the movie and downplayed other aspects of the book. (Except for the review of the situation in Somalia in the months prior).