Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

JB on SNL 1/19/02

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-02, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JB on SNL 1/19/02

I haven't been watching SNL much lately but had to tune in for Jb. The first half hour was great and there are actually some semi talented members in the new cast.
Now thats what actors call singing was good
3 musical numbers with JB. No complaints here.
Old 01-20-02, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I still don't get the whole Jack Black craze, I think he's weird looking and not very funny. Having said that, SNL was very good tonight. That "me and my lovah" bit always has me laughing and Tina Fey had a good rap on Enron during WU.

Why did the musical guest only play one song at 12:55? I'm actually thankful for that, because they were terrible.
Old 01-20-02, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Strokes (no comment) played two songs

To appreciate Jack Black as an actor it helps if you are a fan of his FOLK/METAL duo TENACIOUS D they have been around for awhile and have quite a cult following. Twice this season I have had SNL on and had to turn it off tonight was watchable the whole way through.
Old 01-20-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I turned it on and when he started singing and stuff his opening I turned it off.

I then turned it back on towards the end and I wasn't laughing again so I turned it off.

I still want to see Orange County though, maybe I was just sleepy.
Old 01-20-02, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the beginning of the show was good, and in my opinion, it went downhill fast after about the first 20 min or so. The show had a different feel to it. (Maybe it was all the music stuff?)
Old 01-20-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought this episode was better than most have been this season. Maybe 2nd or 3rd best of the season. Not that it was anything spectacular; more to emphasize the relative weakness of most of the season. I'm not a huge fan of JB/Tenacious D, but they can be somewhat amusing. I remember a couple years ago when "D" played a song on SNL, (before I was in on the joke) and I was just dumbfounded at how bad it was.

As for the band, "the Strokes", I was pleasantly surprised by them. I only heard a little bit about them before this show, and in this age when every other SNL musical guest is some hip-hop crap, this was a refreshing change. SNL usually loses me during the musical guest, because I have to change the channel to avoid the garbage, and usually find something else to watch, and I forget to turn back to SNL, but I did not feel the need to change channels during the Strokes.
Old 01-20-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the better episodes this season. The monster sketch was great, as were the appearances of KG. And Weekend Update was really good. Musical guest was ass as usual, and the last 30 minutes were stupid, but they always are, so that's no surprise. All in all, very good show. Glad I watched the whole thing.

das
Old 01-20-02, 11:02 PM

I'm surprised that no one here has heard of The Strokes. They've been riding a huge wave of hype since last year, and have been hailed as the saviors of rock and roll by some. I've noticed SNL often fails to do some bands justice. Maybe it's because of the weak sound or something, but even bands like U2 sound somewhat crappy on the show. Anyhow, I love The Strokes. Their album is awesome, and I recommend anyone to check it out. Besides the excellent songs, I really like the fact that not a single sound on the album is not played by one of the band members. It's just five guys playing their hearts out without any over-production.

I thought the show itself was kind of weak. The only part I liked was when Jack Black almost started laughing during the lovers sketch.
Old 01-21-02, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

scrubneck, what were the names of the two songs played. They sounded pretty solid to me.

Overall I felt the show was pretty weak as well. JB never seemed to be into his groove except when he was singing. You gotta love his energy though, it's just too bad that didn't come through in the sketches.
Old 01-21-02, 11:13 AM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Well, I watched based on the fevered excitement several days ago in this very forum when it was firsted learned that Jack would be the host. My how that crowd is largely silent afterward. I giggle at Jack, but I don't gut laugh ... and I sure don't titter during his Tenacious D foolishness. He's an upscale Bobcat Goldwait, and I'm pretty sure that's an insult to Bob. Make him cut his hair and shave that stubble and see if anyone laughs WITH HIM, as upposed to at him. He just makes faces and waves his hands. Not like he's a genius like Tom Green, er, wait I think I just negated my whole argument. Dang.
Old 01-21-02, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I think JB is funny, but only when he is rude or doing the mock rock god thing. I'm a long time fan of his improv days, as a cast member of Mr SHow, and the early days of The D. I dont find his humor too good on film, dont go out of my way to watch his movies, and he's certainly not good when reigned in on television. At least he did a lot of music, the opening song, "Hornets Nest", and the best skit- the New Birthday Song was funny, but the rest of it was the same old tired SNL crap.