Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville 1/15/02

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-02, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Smallville 1/15/02

Finally an episode that had me going, "How is Clark going to get out of this jam?"

Spoilers below:

If I were Clark, I'd make Phalin physically uncomfortable, break a hand of his, a leg, just to make it hard for him to "operate" normally. Nothing sucks worse than being incapacitated. Too bad Clark isn't as evil as me.

I did like how Clark tries to set up Phalin breaking into the IA chief's safe, but Clark is so naive, I find it hard to believe some time, but I have to remember he lives in Smallville and isn't as sophisticated yet in the ways of big city life and corruption, even if it is 2002 in the show.

Lex will finally figure it all out that Clark is the one with super powers. Victoria Hardwicke is played by Kelly Brook, a British model/actress, and yes, quite yummy.

Finally Chloe almost confessed her pinings for Clark (with her admission that the newspaper is her excuse for her to be with Clark on a regular basis, even if Clark has goo-goo eyes for Lana. The intense close-ups of the faces of Lana and Chloe was a good touch as both girls were trying not to show the rest of their cards in the game of Clark poker. I've maintained that it's Chloe that makes Lois Lane to attractive to him once he moves to Metropolis and gets work at the Daily Planet. Lana will always represent that girl who was never "available" to Clark, regardless of how sweet she is to him. Even with super powers, you can't make someone fall in love with you against their will. It's not emotionally honest, and it's another lesson that Clark is learning quite well.

The conclusion was a little predictable (somehow it's a crutch of writers to have the bad guy be put away in a hail of gunfire right before the bad guy can spill the beans on the good guy). It was a nice touch to hear Phalin basically say to Lex, "See you in hell" when Lex wanted to pump him for information while he was near death.

Overall, a pretty good episode that illustrated the perils of Clark's predicament due to his super powers, and the effect it'll have on his family should his identity become public knowledge. This will fuel his "nerdy" Clark Kent persona in the future as he becomes the total antithesis of Superman to ward off suspicions of snoopy reporters (like Chloe or Lois Lane in the future).
Old 01-16-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Smallville 1/15/02

Originally posted by Patman

Victoria Hardwicke is played by Kelly Brook, a British model/actress, and yes, quite yummy.

Excellent. I was very curious

Regardless, the episode was good especially with the "confrontation" between Lana and Chloe. We don't really get to see how Clark's friends operate without him around.
Old 01-16-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gotta watch the tape later.
Old 01-16-02, 11:36 AM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

The intense close-ups of the faces of Lana and Chloe was a good touch as both girls were trying not to show the rest of their cards in the game of Clark poker.

I didn't think they did a good job of that

This was actually the first episode of Smallville that I've watched and I must say I was fairly entertained. Good casting (i.e. Lana). I also liked the way that Lex and Clark are "friends" more than enemies, but I guess that follows the comic book rule of thumb right? Friends before enemies?

Looking forward to watching it next week.

-BT
Old 01-16-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer."
Old 01-16-02, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
too bad clark's fingerprints are all over the IA guys apartment, unless clark doesn't have fingerprints
I would have snapped the dirty cop's arm and said "get my dad out of jail or I start snapping other bones one by one"
and unknown to the bad cop, clark is bullet proof
another nitpick, that many wouldn't notice, the bullet should have been copper colored, no one, especially the police, fires unjacked bullets from a glock
Old 01-16-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DOH! I missed this episode... Any chance that I can catch it again on some other station?

Old 01-16-02, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
WAAAAA!!!!

Our local affliate aired a college basketball game!

I don't know if they're planning to reair this week's episode again...
Old 01-16-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mikehunt
and unknown to the bad cop, clark is bullet proof
I was wondering about that. I was under the assumption that he hadn't hit his full powers yet (strength- still struggling with the Kryptonite villains, no flight, no super hearing [that I can recall]). I just guess that while he's tough, he's not able to walk away from a bullet unscathed YET. He can withstand large amounts of force applied over a big area (a bus hitting him square on), but I didn't know whether he could withstand the force of a bullet applied against such a tiny spot.

Regardless, this episode was the first really good one, IMO. If I was Clark, every time that cop opened his mouth, I would've picked him up and run him to Alaska. Maybe he'd learn after the first couple times. I'm just glad we didn't get another kryptonite-baddie.
Old 01-16-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually thought this was the single best episode of any T.V. show I have seen al year(granted I don't watch much though). It really showed just how good this show could be & exactly what I want this show to be about.

Everbody knows how Clark's powers helpd him defeat the evil Super-villain, which was the horrible pattern this show hasa been falling into. But this episode was about what the show should be, how Clark's powers complicate his life & the live's of the ones he loves.

Also by far the heart of this show, is Lex Luthor & the actor that plays him. I have know idea who this guy is but damn he does a great job. However I hop that the writer's have enough sense to delay when Luthor finds out about Clark. Once that happends the dynamic of their relationship will completely change, & right now the best part of the show is that they are for the most part still friends with each other.

And I REALLY hope Kelly Brook stays around for a while.
Old 01-16-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
best thing about the episode
not that it wasn't good anyway

Originally posted by CaptainMarvel

I'm just glad we didn't get another kryptonite-baddie.
Old 01-17-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Finally saw it. Loved it. They finally did the whole "faster than a speeding bullet" thing.

The whole "Clark Poker" thing as someone else mentioned was funny. So does Lex know about Clark now? Isn't it a li'l early?
Old 01-17-02, 03:13 AM
Banned

sonofa!!!!

I missed it. Can someone help me out? Got a website where I can download or anyone got a copy I can purchase? Thanks!
Old 01-17-02, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
sonofa!!!!

I missed it. Can someone help me out? Got a website where I can download or anyone got a copy I can purchase? Thanks!
I'm pretty sure that this show gets posted on the newsgroup alt.binaries.multimedia

If you aren't subscribed to a news server, I recommend EasyNews ( http://www.easynews.com/ ). It's $10/month with great retention, a 6 gigabyte download limit and a really cool web interface.
Old 01-17-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget to check out The Smallville Torch website that Warners has set up. It is exactly the same as what you see on the show, and they have loads of great supplementary items filling in the stories and background. Be sure to check through the classifieds and the archives, etc. It changes every week to reflect the plot of the current episode. Top-notch.
Old 01-17-02, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
sonofa!!!!

morpheus has been very good to have all of the episodes of smallville as divx rips... I've gotten the first eight from there and will probably download this one soon... (It'll be listed as smallville 1.09 I believe, but just do a search for smallville and get the latest one...) morpheus is available for download at www.musiccity.com