Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Has anyone see this show?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-02, 06:42 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone see this show?

Its on Nickoloden... Its a show about a space invader named Zim.. And he is trying to destroy the earth.

Its a very funny show. Not animated great, but its a twisted kind of humor.

And the robot sidekick, Ger makes the show.

His voice and the things he just says out of the blue.
hehe
Old 01-07-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, very amusing
Old 01-07-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's called Space Invader Zim, oddly enough
Old 01-08-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tygloalex
I think it's called Space Invader Zim, oddly enough
Just "Invader ZIM", actually. Created by Jhonen Vasquez, who also did the cult comic favorites "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac", "Squee", "Fillerbunny", and "I Feel Sick". It's neat (and weird) to see his dark, twisted style turned into a "kids' cartoon". It's a great show.

It seems to be doing pretty well. I think it's getting good ratings, and Hot Topic has started selling official ZIM merchandise (t-shirts, stickers, patches, lunchboxes, etc.). Fun stuff!
Old 01-12-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Definitely the funniest thing I've seen in awhile. I've d/l all the files through Morpheus or http://yourmom.dhs.org/zim/, but I'm still trying to catch it on the air: Friday 9:30. Hopefully we'll get a new season soon.

Heck, talk about dark and twisted: Dark Harvest, Bad Bad Rubber Piggy, Bolognius Maximus
Just Gross: Rise of Zit boy, Career Day, Germs

Really great pop culture references (more/better than normal): FBI Warning (Dawn of the Dead), Game Slave 2 (PS2 line waits, Vampire Hunter D)

Add to this absolutely hilarious, top notch voice acting and you've got one heck of a show. Definitely my #1 currently.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-13-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Heck, talk about dark and twisted: Dark Harvest, Bad Bad Rubber Piggy, Bolognius Maximus
Just Gross: Rise of Zit boy, Career Day, Germs
I wasn't saying that ZIM isn't a dark, twisted show. It's just that Jhonen's comic work is even darker and more twisted. Check out an issue of Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, or one of the Fillerbunny issues. JTHM is really dark, and pretty violent and gory, and Fillerbunny is just a collection of tongue-in-cheek, over-the-top, silly violence. ZIM manages to maintain Jhonen's very weird style and still be appropriate for older children (at least IMO).

Oh, and I got the ZIM lunchbox, whee!
Old 01-13-02, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I was talking more in comparison to other shows. I find it surprising just how dark and twisted and/or gross it's managed to be -- and it does it so much better than most of its predecessors IMO.

Tuan Jim
Old 01-14-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
I was talking more in comparison to other shows. I find it surprising just how dark and twisted and/or gross it's managed to be -- and it does it so much better than most of its predecessors IMO.

Tuan Jim
Agreed. There is definitely a reason that this only airs late in prime-time. I prefer the twisted stuff (the "Best Friend" episode, "Dark Harvest") to the plain old "gross-out" gags (the bit where Zim "molts"), but even the least-impressive ZIM episodes are better than most of the other stuff on television.

Have you seen the Halloween episode? It's got some incredibly funny scenes (the "Crazy Card" or whatever it was called), and it's one of my favorite episodes.

The good news is that the show is supposedly doing pretty well. I think it'll be around for a while.