Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Julia Louis-Dreyfus's new sitcom (Watching Ellie)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Julia Louis-Dreyfus's new sitcom (Watching Ellie)

Old 01-05-02, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Julia Louis-Dreyfus's new sitcom

As anyone heard reviews of the new Julia Louis-Dreyfus sitcom that NBC is going to have on starting in February "after the Olympics" ? It is titled "Becoming Ellie" or "Beeing Ellie"... something like that, I forget what the commercial said. Wonder if it will fail like the other attempts by the other actors?
Old 01-06-02, 09:01 AM

did Jason Alexander do a sitcom? what was it called? details please?
(i know he did Duckman, which was fantastic, but i'm not really sure that counts.)
i'm not really sure he could be successful as anyone but George Costanza now. shame as he's obviously very talented. maybe animation is the best way forward for him.

and what was Michael Richards' show like. in the UK we've just finished watching the final Seinfeld episodes. honestly, we really are that far behind the USA.
Old 01-06-02, 10:26 AM

Jason Alexander's show was called "Bob Patterson." It didn't last very long. Bob Patterson was a motivational speaker who was sort of a loser in real life and had problems with women, including his ex-wife. I thought the show was pretty lame, and most of the characters were forgettable. The only funny character was the secretary in the wheelchair.

I can't comment on Michael Richards' show, as I blinked and it had gone off the air already.
Old 01-06-02, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't know why all these old seinfeld people dont just get together for a sitcom like jason alexander, julia louis dreyfuss, and michael richards, it would probably be successful then
Old 01-06-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bobubott

I can't comment on Michael Richards' show, as I blinked and it had gone off the air already.
In his show he was a private eye, but stupid. Sort of like Get Smart, but modernized and he wasn't working of a secret government organization. The show was pretty boring. I remember I watched the first couple episodes, then couldn't stand it anymore. It went off the air after only 8 episodes. I believe Alexander's "Bob Paterson" latest a bit longer. I didn't check that one out.
Old 02-18-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Watching Ellie debuts a week from tomorrow. I believe that it will be successful, unlike George's and Kramer's shows.

Here's NBC's link:

http://www.nbc.com/Watching_Ellie/
Old 02-18-02, 04:06 PM
Banned

The show actually looks funny in the commericals. The Bob Patterson and Micheal Richards shows looked horrid from the beginning.
Old 02-18-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Plus, it occurs in "real-time" i.e. 22 minutes in her life in a given week. It's a little gimicky, but at least it's not just the same ol same ol, which is what Alexander and Richard's shows were.
Old 02-18-02, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good ol' NBC is going to kill this show with overpromotion. It will get HUGE ratings for its first episode, and then NBC will come strong with "XX MILLION VIEWERS WATCHED Watching Ellie LAST WEEK!!!!!" ads. If it's not a VERY good show, it will die a horrible death. I, for one, think it looks promising and will definitely give it a chance, but I think NBC is setting it up for a fall like they've done with so many shows before this one.

Leap of Faith looks like ass.

das
Old 02-18-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am looking forward to watching Watching Ellie. Eh should have chosen another word there.

I haven't seen the ads for Leap of Faith.
Old 02-18-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The gimmick of real time will wear off faster than Sports commentators on inside swartz. It didn't work very well for 24, and in a sitcom i'd imagine its even worse...

Chances are this will be the final installment in the "after sienfeld failures" Club.... I just havn't heard anything or seen anything to make me have much faith for the show.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is funny, but with these recent NBC nightmares, it'll more than likely die due to non-exsistent writing.

Did they officially give the axe to Hank Azaria's Show? It just disappeared.
Old 02-18-02, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
The gimmick of real time will wear off faster than Sports commentators on inside swartz. It didn't work very well for 24, and in a sitcom i'd imagine its even worse...
24's real time gimmick got me to tune in for the first few episodes, and then I got hooked.
Old 02-19-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Eternia

In his show he was a private eye, but stupid. Sort of like Get Smart, but modernized and he wasn't working of a secret government organization. The show was pretty boring. I remember I watched the first couple episodes, then couldn't stand it anymore. It went off the air after only 8 episodes. I believe Alexander's "Bob Paterson" latest a bit longer. I didn't check that one out.
I think Bob Patterson was canceled after five episodes.
Old 02-19-02, 07:19 AM
Needs to provide a working email address

I think the only show from the seinfield cast that will live beyond a season or two is Curb your Enthusiasm - HBO and NBC seem to be really different beasts. The horrid shows that Jason Alexander and Michael Richards spawned seemed really formulated and rehashed the same old cliche crap; which is sadly where NBC most likely steered them. I think Curb is a hilaroius show and can't wait for the next season to start up.
Old 02-19-02, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I must be the only person that actually LIKED the Michael Richards Show ... I got them all on tape, and was upset when it was cancelled. I think it was just beginning to get rolling when it was axed. Too bad.
Old 02-19-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
I must be the only person that actually LIKED the Michael Richards Show ... I got them all on tape, and was upset when it was cancelled. I think it was just beginning to get rolling when it was axed. Too bad.
I'll admit that the one and only time I watched it (it was cancelled before i could see it again) I found it to be somewhat funny. Of course Michael Richards was just doing his Kramer bit as a PI, but I think it should have at least been given a little longer to see if anything could get going with it. Oh well, I guess it couldn't have been that good, I haven't given it a second thought until this thread

I never did catch Jason Alexander's Show, I thought from the previews it looked just terrible and apparently i was right, it got axed pretty fast.

I'll definately be watching "Watching Ellie", Elaine was always my favorite character on Seinfeld. I highly doubt that this show will last any longer than the other two ex-Seinfeld shows but I'll watch until it's cancelled at least.

Now if they were smart, they'd give Julia Louis-Dreyfus her own show on HBO, that I think, would be a hit.
Old 02-19-02, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
Now if they were smart, they'd give Julia Louis-Dreyfus her own show on HBO, that I think, would be a hit.
Never gonna happen. Not after that HBO guy stole Larry David's shrimp.
Old 02-19-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by RandyM
Never gonna happen. Not after that HBO guy stole Larry David's shrimp.

das
Old 02-20-02, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remember hearing a Jerry Seinfeld interview about 8 months ago, where someone asked him if he would ever consider a Seinfeld reunion, and he replied something to the lines of:

"Yeah, only if all 4 of us have our career's in the down the drain...and two of them already are" (He was referring to Michael Richards and Jason Alexander at the time.

I guess after Julia's show fails, it will make 3 out of 4. Any ideas of what a Seinfeld reunion would be like? Imagine the ratings.
Old 02-20-02, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And to think that Tim Meadows left SNL for that show...what a waste.
Old 02-20-02, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I like her, but I'm sure this show will flop too... just like George and Kramers!

-k
###
Old 02-21-02, 03:55 PM

I want to see this show it looks pretty good. But then I'll have so much to watch on tues. Watching Ellie, 24, Scrubs, Frasier, Smallville & Judging Amy good thing I have East and West stations
Old 02-22-02, 10:26 AM

I must be the only person that actually LIKED the Michael Richards Show ... I got them all on tape
Would that even fill one tape?
Old 02-25-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yahoo just posted a Reuters review of the first two eps -- they seem to like it a lot, though they've got a few suggestions...

"Elle" elevates sitcom format
Old 02-26-02, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by adamblast
Yahoo just posted a Reuters review of the first two eps -- they seem to like it a lot, though they've got a few suggestions...

"Elle" elevates sitcom format
I'm all for any comedy that doesn't pander to the insulting paint-by-numbers sit-com formula. Here's hoping they've got something with this one.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.