TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor 1/3/02

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Survivor 1/3/02

Good grief!

It appears Lex is going to pull a Kelly Wigglesworth because he's winning tons of reward and immunity challenges. In tonight's episode, Lex won a Chevy Avalanche truck for the reward (he also used the truck to deliver much needed hospital supplies to a hospital in the middle of nowhere), and Lex managed to win immunity in a composite contest of past contests and he did it without being challenged. Too bad the Morons didn't see this coming. I think Ethan truly thought he'd be the "Colby" of Survivor 3, but it hasn't turned out that way. Anyhow the rest of the gang would have voted Lex out if he had not won immunity. But now...someone else will go.

Last edited by Patman; 01-04-02 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And the loser of the week is:

Teresa, the last of Samburu.

Last edited by Patman; 01-04-02 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now looking forward to next week's 2 hour finale:

While it's totally dependent on immunity challenges, Lex is in the driver's set, and it comes down, I think, to Lex being in the no-win situation that Keith was in last season. There's too much animosity from the jury to give Lex the money, the rationale will be that he got all the rewards, and the truck, and that should be good enough.

That being said, I think it'll be the Good Ol' Boy network in effect, and Kim J will get the boot because she's too sympathetic to the jury. Kim J has shown no ability to come close to winning immunity.

Then there were be 3 left, and I think Lex will run the table, and then he'll have to figure out who to take with him to the final two. He may as well flip a coin between Tom and Ethan because I don't think either have pissed off the jury like Lex has, but if I were Lex, I'd take Tom with me because Ethan has been more low key, and seems to have maybe a little more support on the Samburu tribe. But in the end, whoever Lex picks, he'll be handing them $1 million bucks.

Last edited by Patman; 01-04-02 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Also consider this...What if all of the rest of the Moron figure that it's easier to skate under the radar, and just ride Lex to the big prize. Lex has built up so many animosity points among the jury that he's guarenteed himself a 2nd place finish. So the trick for the rest of the Morons is to convince Lex to pick them as being a worse alternative to Lex. I think Tom might be playing it the best in his "I'm who I am, I say what I say, and I stand behind it" good ol' boy drawl. Ethan is just worn down. Kim J, as I said, would garner too much sympathy from the women on the jury to keep in a final two.

Last edited by Patman; 01-04-02 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-03-02, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Spoiler:
There's no spoiler in here ... I just didn't want to be left out.

Poor Theresa. Oh well. I love how she was giving Kim crap about keeping Lex around. I assume her strategy is to keep the Lexster around because no one would ever vote for him, but it's a dangerous game. Tom's good ol' boy thing isn't completely an act ... watching him do that word find ... like was said last week, it's like Rudy doing the trivia ... "What is 2+2? Um ... um ... screw it!"

Guess I need to "Clear my calendar" for the 2 hour finale.

das
Old 01-03-02, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And yet ANOTHER challenge sweep for the men. I hardly thought that the immunity challenge was much of a cerebral excercise...or even 50/50 as Jeff Probst suggested it was going to be. The women were yet again not even in the running. I still say the challenges mostly favor men, but surely over the past two survivors there has been no one even close to having the strength and determination of Kelly Wigglesworth (females). I think it makes me even feel more justified in having chosen her as the more deserving winner of the 1st show.

Theresa was certainly one of the nicest people they've had this season. Everyone looked really sad to have voted her out and that's usually a sure sign that she was liked by all.

I think Lex could easily win in a jury despite the hard feelings against him. He has dominated the game and after the Richard Hatch victory, it seems like there is a lot of pressure to vote for a reason and not simply on who you like. Right now, against anyone, the jury is going to have a really hard time coming up with a reason for not to give it to Lex. He's simply dominating. Kim might be the really nice, older person, Ethan, the aw shucks cute-guy, and Tom, the goofy backwoods hick who really needs the money...but Lex has been the best in the game. Period.

Richard Hatch and Kelly were really even. Rich was an excellent plotter and manipulator and Kelly was physically the best there has been on the show or of the women of any season. Rich won by 1 vote. Colby also dominated and deserved to win, but Tina was certainly decent competition and just got by on her playing ability and sweetness. Besides, everyone agrees Colby threw the money down the toilet by not taking Keith into the finals.

This season hasn't really required any great strategy, so Lex has really been, far and away, the best player. I don't really like him, but if someone else wins just because they are nicer or "more deserving" that would suck almost as much as Greg casting the deciding vote based on a number between 1 and 10.

Unless something changes or he doesn't make it to the finals, I'd have to cast my vote for Lex for having been the best.

Oh well, I only see them doing this a few more times, but I hope they get back to an island and get some better people. Colleen!

Bring back the Mole ABC and please, Fox, give us another Love Cruise!!!
Old 01-03-02, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rich was obnoxious in a likeable way. Lex is just a jerk. I wanted Rich to win the first one, but I don't want Lex to win this one. I suspect many jurors would agree.

As for the challenges being "biased" ... it's called Survivor. There has been a decent balance between physical challenges (yay, Mark Summers) and mental challenges. I don't want to sound insensitive, but if you're not physically able to handle this stuff, whether you're male OR female, stay off the show. Kelly held her own, like you said, and many other women have done well. Theresa could have stood on that platform for days. It's insulting to say that women can't handle physical challenges.

das
Old 01-03-02, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Ugh this is so predictable. They either need to a) cancel the show or b) change it even more. I'd suggest 3 tribes with 5 people at the start. Merge with 9 people total so there is a possibility of 3v3v3. Even if its not 3v3v3, you'll see a lot of backstabbing, agreements between tribes, etc. Seeing one tribe get totally voted out while the other just sits there is getting old.

Originally posted by das Monkey
(yay, Mark Summers)
Old 01-03-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm with you guys about Lex. Don't care for him. And the guy seems really dangerous with all the talk about slitting throats and killing his teammates.

And the girl's shirt with shameless printed on it. Who's comment was that directed at? I forgot. The "walk of shame" was mentioned last week? Was it Tom or Lex?

Did Kim two-time Teresa again? She voted for the girl last week even though she told Teresa she would vote for Lex. I missed the end to see how Kim voted. Oh...I know Kim isn't young but she needs to take better care of her skin. She's been giving the elephants a run for their money.

The challenges are way too physical. Yes, they do throw mental puzzles once in a while but there are too many physical challenges. Put more muscle bound young guys (or skinny annoying tatooed guys) on the show and they'll gobble all the prizes.

I'll watch to the end but this show has grown very long in the tooth.
Old 01-03-02, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
Rich was obnoxious in a likeable way. Lex is just a jerk. I wanted Rich to win the first one, but I don't want Lex to win this one. I suspect many jurors would agree.

As for the challenges being "biased" ... it's called Survivor. There has been a decent balance between physical challenges (yay, Mark Summers) and mental challenges. I don't want to sound insensitive, but if you're not physically able to handle this stuff, whether you're male OR female, stay off the show. Kelly held her own, like you said, and many other women have done well. Theresa could have stood on that platform for days. It's insulting to say that women can't handle physical challenges.

das
Possibly you didn't read what I wrote or possibly you only want to start some kind of argument.

First of all, this is a discussion of Survivor, the tv show,...not of all of planet Earth. I was not speaking for or about ALL women. However, these women have not faired well at all and the challenges, especially, the immunity challenges, are anything but balanced. Additionally, the women did not fair well Down Under either. I guess it must all have been luck, or maybe "holding there own" is good enough for you. It has nothing to do with the women who do get picked thinking, "this is too tough, we're out of here." It has to do with the choices being made in casting. In an effort to make the show appealing to ALL demographics and casting all sorts of different characters, they probably pass on more physically and mentally capable people...especially women.

You can say the show is Survivor and go on and on. Blah, blah, blah. But, as the seasons have gone on the deceiving and plotting (which Rich was so great at) has become less and less important. Things have gone very smoothly the past 2 Survivors and as far as "Surviving" goes, I think all of these people have already demonstrated that they can eat rice or popcorn for a month and not die. So, the entire plot of the game is most affected (after the intital alliances,which have pretty much held rock solid for all 3 runs) is who wins the immunity challenges.

I'm not even going to argue with whoever you are saying I'm being insulting to women. As if you speak for all women. I watch the show with my wife. I simply have a very different opinion than you do. And to back it up just do the math on how many challenges women have won in the past two Survivors. Kelly W. was amazing and I credited her in my initial post. But, not only was she strong and determined, but she NEVER would have played rock, paper, scissors to end a contest. She would have stood there forever to have won. I haven't seen anything even close to resembling that the past 2 Survivors.

Finally, the physical challenges look better for tv, but some of the silly games (like the one where they were all told a story about the island and had to find things and videotape their answers) were a lot of fun. Rudy saying, "I forgot." everytime he gave an answer was priceless and, other than Rudy ANYONE could have won that contest as easily as another. Big guy, small guy, small girl, big girl, tough girl, girlie girl, etc. If it was all about being strong and fast it would be pretty boring...regardless of the name of the show. And that would also explain why 2 of the most popular contestants on the show were Colleen and Liz.
Old 01-04-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another predictable show, the Moron tribe votes out a Samburu member.

This Survivor is definately the weakest one yet by far.
I agree that they need to change things around for next time. No more two teams that merge into one. The team with the majority just votes off the other team.

It was fun to see Theresa panicing like Silas was before he got the boot. First she was trying to vote off Lex, then when he one immunity she was trying to get Tom kicked off.
I'm glad she got kicked off, she really bugged me.

As far as the challenges being more physical and the men dominating, well of course men are going to do better at physical challenges than women are. Men are stronger and faster than women. But that's part of the show. The women know this going in. Maybe 60 year old grandmas shouldn't be playing Survivor ?

It's really an advatange being young and athletic. If you look at the first two shows Kelly should have won, and Colby had the million but gave it to Tina. Both of them were young and in shape. It's interesting now that I think of it that so far every final two has been a young athletic person and an old non-athletic person. This show might be the same with Tom being in the final two with either Lex or Ethan.

Next week should be good.

My prediction is Kim will be voted out first. The men don't want a women on there with a chance for the other women to vote for her or for her to get sympathy votes.

The final 2 will be decided by the winner of the last immunity challlenge.
I think Ethan will win the last one and vote off Lex.
I think it's a good move because Lex might get votes because he dominated so much and others feel he deserved it. Sure there are some people (Kelly) that would vote against Lex no matter what but Tom has also ruffled some feathers too.

If Lex wins immunity he will vote off Tom. Because he now thinks Tom was trying to get him voted off before (thanks to Theresa) and is pissed at him and if it's between him and Ethan he probably figures the others will look at them as 2 physical competitors of which Lex won most of the challenges therefore deserves to win.

I'm hoping for Tom and Ethan to be the final 2
I don't wan't Lex to win and have to hear his final plea to the jury about his "gut". I think I'll
Old 01-04-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agree with many of the posts above...the show is somewhat predictible..something drastic needs to be done for future shows..

Once again for those of you in the cheap seats...LEX is a flaming a-hole and I pray to god he doesn't win the money...Kim J is a moron not boran but moron...sorry to see T-bird go, she was the only one left who I would be happy with winning the $$$....

Old 01-04-02, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Was it just me, or was it painful to watch either of the women do the obstable course? Especially the netting one, I thought T-bird or Kim was going to break a hip on that thing.
Old 01-04-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
Was it just me, or was it painful to watch either of the women do the obstable course? Especially the netting one, I thought T-bird or Kim was going to break a hip on that thing.
...I agree!! It was as if they were afraid of the nets or they had zero energy..

What happened to Ethan on the ladder...he was the first one to climb then all of a sudden he is still on the ground and Lex & Tom are on the nets.. Did he fall/ladder break..
Old 01-04-02, 09:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I agree with all those who say this show needs to be reworked. Once again, the tribe that went into the merge with the most members has systematically voted off the other tribe. *YAWN* They had a good idea in swapping the tribes around, but they didn't do it long enough for it to matter.

Lex is a dick, plain and simple. Did you notice how he was taking credit for the medical supplies when all he really did was drive a truck? Not to mention that the truck he won was probably worth more than all of those supplies combined! If he were a real stand-up guy he would have donated the truck to the hospital right then and there...that would have shown a lot of integrity (and probably won him the game).
Old 01-04-02, 09:59 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Survivor 1/3/02

Anyhow the rest of the gang would have voted Lex out if he had not won immunity. But now...someone else will go.
I don't buy that for a second. They HAD their chance to get rid of Lex last week, but the truth is THEY WANT LEX TO STAY. I feel that Lex is basically dragging Kim J. along(as is Ethan). If it gets down to Lex and either Tom or Ethan, he knows he is gone because they were more likable than him. But if it gets down to Lex and Kim J., you may get into this "Lex played the game the best, he won the most challenges, and Kim J. won nothing and just went along with Lex-- she doesn't deserve it." He's trying to pull a Rich. If Lex can keep immunity, he will talk Ethan and Kim J into voting for Tom. Then he will pick Kim J. to stay, and it will go to the vote. If Lex doesn't keep immunity, he's still going to the final two since the other three know their best chance is against Lex. It shouldn't come down to Tom and Ethan. Either one will want Lex or Kim J. in the final two. The fact that neither would want Lex to win may get Kim J. into the final two with them. Wouldn't it be something if Kim J. came out the winner?

I'm personally pulling for Big Tom. Although I'd like to see someone younger win this game for once, so I wouldn't mind seeing Ethan win. Anything but Kim J. or Lex.

Last edited by AndyCapps; 01-04-02 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watching them just pissed me off. I realized they are older and stuff, but it didn't even look like they were trying. Even in the "easy" parts of the course they were walking as if they were in oatmeal or something. Pick up the pace! I am not an athletic person and wouldn't win these challenges but I'd at least do my best and try to hurry up.

Actually this whole show pissed me off. Last week they had an excellent opportunity to vote off Lex, but instead they chose to vote off zero-threat Kim. Now this week, they are all whining about Lex winning everything and how they don't want him to win. DUH! That's why you should have voted for him the first opportunity he was without immunity.

I think the strategy of this group of players has been idiotic so far this season. Any other season, Lex and Ethan would have been gone post-merge due to their strength and Ethan's likeability. They have picked strange targets to oust. I think the other female players have been too weak. Instead of joinging forces to vote off the threats, they clung to the guys to help pull them along. And now they are getting picked off at the end.

Last edited by Jadzia; 01-04-02 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-04-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well... It looks I'm the only one that really likes Lex. I think he is by far the best survivor out there.
I liked Ethan for a while, but just can't stand him whining about losing the challenges.

I think the male alliance is stronger than MB tries to make it look. MamaKim will go next. Then... I'm not sure. My first thought will be an Ethan/Lex F2, regardless of which of the two wins the F3 IC.

Ethan looks like it will win against Lex, but it's not as clear as one would think.
Old 01-04-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia

Actually this whole show pissed me off. Last week they had an excellent opportunity to vote off Lex, but instead they chose to vote off zero-threat Kim. Now this week, they are all whining about Lex winning everything and how they don't want him to win. DUH! That's why you should have voted for him the first opportunity he was without immunity.

My take is that that's what they liked to show after careful editing to make it less obvious than the previous season when KTC were clearly taking all the others out, one by one.

I think the ELT alliance is as strong as ever and that's why there was no straying from that tactics. Lex is no threat until F3 when it's either open game or we'll get to see a stronger alliance between two of the guys. I guess it would be Lex-Ethan, despite Ethan's whining about Lex winning the challenges. I don't think Lex was ever risking to get votes from Ethan or Tom. MamaKim, on the other hand, should have made a move when both Teresa and KimP were still in the game. The fact that she didn't means that she's either stupid, or she's in a stronger alliance with one of the guys...
Old 01-04-02, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't blame the women for coasting in that challenge. I would have also. They are not stupid, so I am sure they knew they had no chance against Ethan and Lex, since 95% of the challenge was physical. Why waste energy?

Also, from what we have seen and heard, this game has taken it's toll. Easy to be critical, but are you sure you would have given it 100% if you felt bone tired and crappy and knew you had no chance of winning? These ain't young women.

Gandalf, my opinion of Lex is changing. I think he is "out there" a little, but I actually am starting to like him. He is playing the game well, and I have seen some signs of intelligence also like in the word search puzzle and other games. He has intensity which can be a good thing.
Old 01-04-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's a pciture of Theresa (and MB) from the Early show this morning.
She looks a lot better now then she did on the show.
Old 01-04-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by randyc

Gandalf, my opinion of Lex is changing. I think he is "out there" a little, but I actually am starting to like him. He is playing the game well, and I have seen some signs of intelligence also like in the word search puzzle and other games. He has intensity which can be a good thing.
That's exactly how I feel about the guy. He is definitely "out there"
And it can easily get on people's nerves with his very abrupt attitude. But I appreciate his honesty, he looks like someone you can really depend on (and I'm speaking outside the game now) and, above all, he plays a very good game!
He is obviously the smarter of the pack (he won every "mental" challenge so far and if you look at last nights Super IC the place where he really stepped ahead of the others was the puzzle!) and has decent physical strength to back it. And, despite his apparent obnoxious attitude, people seem to appreciate him (see Teresa's statement from the Early Show, and I think also Frank...)
Old 01-04-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What the hell was Frank wearing at the tribal council?

How about Kelly (the psych. behavior chick) playing mindgames with the rest of the survivors wearing her "Shameless" shirt. She does look alot better now that she's well fed and all cleaned up.

Regarding the reward/truck challenge: Not a second passed before I knew that the scrambled word was "Avalanche". (I tend to be decent at the word jumbles in the nwspaper).
Old 01-04-02, 02:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What the hell was Frank wearing at the tribal council?
A sarong. I'm surprised after all of his thinly veiled gay-bashing on Brandon that he would put on something even remotely feminine.

Where do they keep the tribal council people after they are booted off? Are they sequestered or what? I doubt Kelly could have gotten such a shirt in a small African village. Anybody know?
Old 01-05-02, 08:25 AM

I doubt Kelly could have gotten such a shirt in a small African village. Anybody know?
I'm sure the producers provided it for her. The show is entertaining, but completely fabricated...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.