9th season for Friends looking good?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9th season for Friends looking good?

From TV Tome.com...

"Ninth Season Hush-Hush News
Appears that there will be a ninth season for NBC's #1 sitcom. Several sources (aka E!'s Ted Casablanca and Wanda) have confirmed that 5 out of 6 actors agreed on an extra season with no raise in their paycheck. All because their movie careers isn't going as well as they hoped. Both NBC and WB reps have declined to comment on that."

And apparently ratings are up from last year.
So sounds like one cast member wants more money or doesn't want to do another season. Wonder who?

Anyway,
I hope there is a 9th season.
Old 12-31-01, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: 9th season for Friends looking good?

Originally posted by Eternia
From TV Tome.com...

"Ninth Season Hush-Hush News
Appears that there will be a ninth season for NBC's #1 sitcom. Several sources (aka E!'s Ted Casablanca and Wanda) have confirmed that 5 out of 6 actors agreed on an extra season with no raise in their paycheck. All because their movie careers isn't going as well as they hoped. Both NBC and WB reps have declined to comment on that."

And apparently ratings are up from last year.
So sounds like one cast member wants more money or doesn't want to do another season. Wonder who?

Anyway,
I hope there is a 9th season.
I would say Jennifer Aniston would be the one who wants out. Now that she's married to Brad Pitt, she can probably get alot more movie roles.
Old 12-31-01, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know a lot of people enjoy Friends, and it's probably quite annoying to hear people talk bad about it a lot, but they really need to let it go. It's familiar, and it's still somewhat funny, but it's been overwhelmingly "average" for the past 3 years. People still watch it because they're used to watching it and because it's not particularly bad and because the stars are still pretty ... it just is.

And the promos ... my God ... the promos. I am hard pressed to think of a show that's more manipulative and insulting than this most recent season of Friends - maybe The X-Files. Every episode of Friends is heralded as the greatest moment in the history of television. I know it's unfair to fault the show for its network promos, but it's all part of the total package of why I can barely tolerate a show I once used to love.

Let it die ... let these people move on.

das
Old 12-31-01, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: 9th season for Friends looking good?

Originally posted by Deftones17

I would say Jennifer Aniston would be the one who wants out. Now that she's married to Brad Pitt, she can probably get alot more movie roles.
You are probably right.

I think it can last one more season, but that is about it. I am a fan, and I just think they are running out of things to do. I mean, the next new episode is titled "The One Where Joey and Rachel Date" or something - I don't want that happening.

If they somehow do not go with the last 9th season, this year's finale better be a good series finale.

Question is, what will NBC do when Friends is done? They have Will & Grace, ER, Just Shoot Me?... maybe they will move Frasier to Thursday, but that would endanger Scrubs I believe (since I doubt they will have Scrubs and ER on the same night).
Old 01-01-02, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Re: 9th season for Friends looking good?

Question is, what will NBC do when Friends is done? They have Will & Grace, ER, Just Shoot Me?... maybe they will move Frasier to Thursday, but that would endanger Scrubs I believe (since I doubt they will have Scrubs and ER on the same night).
The same thing they did when Cosby, Seinfeld and Cheers went off the air: Sweat it out for a couple of seasons until they can get another hit show going, then rest on their laurels and put out more crap.
Old 01-01-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by das Monkey
I know a lot of people enjoy Friends, and it's probably quite annoying to hear people talk bad about it a lot, but they really need to let it go. It's familiar, and it's still somewhat funny, but it's been overwhelmingly "average" for the past 3 years. People still watch it because they're used to watching it and because it's not particularly bad and because the stars are still pretty ... it just is.
You're right, but the sad thing is it still is better than most of the other sitcoms out there. It may not say a lot for Friends, but it says a lot more for all the shows out there that we're seeing maybe lasting 1 season at most.

As for the promos... I think Law & Order's promo writers have been helping out with Friends. Pretty soon we'll see a Friends that's been ripped from the headlines.
Old 01-01-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's actually Lisa Kudrow that doesn't want to sign back on. I read somewhere that she was the one who pressured the entire cast to hold out for more money.
Old 01-01-02, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by renaldow

You're right, but the sad thing is it still is better than most of the other sitcoms out there. It may not say a lot for Friends, but it says a lot more for all the shows out there that we're seeing maybe lasting 1 season at most.

As for the promos... I think Law & Order's promo writers have been helping out with Friends. Pretty soon we'll see a Friends that's been ripped from the headlines.
]

I don't find Law & Order's promos so offensive. Ripped from the headlines is a bit repetitive, but it's OK. To tell the truth, I don't know half the cases they portray, or even if they actually took place in real life.
Old 01-01-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by huzefa
I don't find Law & Order's promos so offensive. Ripped from the headlines is a bit repetitive, but it's OK. To tell the truth, I don't know half the cases they portray, or even if they actually took place in real life.
"Ripped from the Headlines" isn't the problem. Lately it's been:

"With a twist ending you have to see to believe."

"You can't get more ripped than this."

"An ending so shocking, you won't believe it really happened."

etc, etc. Just show the damn show. It's not much of a twist ending when you promote the ***** out of it. I used to think Law & Order was one of the best programs ever on television, for its careful and faithful presentation of a good story. I watched it on NBC and A&E every chance I could. Now, I don't watch any of them. Thank you, NBC.

das
Old 01-01-02, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Promos usually don't bother me. I know they are just trying to super-hype everyshow. All I wish is that all shows had a "stay tuned for scenes from our next episode".
Old 01-01-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
You guys want terrible promos? How about the last few seasons of Frasier where just about every episode was touted as the episode where Daphne finally finds out about Niles' love for her.

I stopped watching Frasier a while ago and this was one very big reason why. That and its "sophisticated Three's Company" plot lines have gotten very very old.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-01-02 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-01-02, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see why promos would make you not want to watch. Who cares what they say? It is just the network trying to pull people in. They don't stop me from watching Friends or Frasier - I've been watching both since the begining.
Old 01-01-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't see why promos would make you not want to watch. Who cares what they say? It is just the network trying to pull people in. They don't stop me from watching Friends or Frasier - I've been watching both since the begining.
Oh, don't misunderstand our complaints. Frasier is barely half as good as it used to be, and Friends isn't that much better. The annoying promos just add to the dislike. But in many cases, they contribute to the plotlines. Like poor Law & Order. I fear NBC execs are only approving scripts that make good promos. No longer is it good stories ... there has to be a big surprise ending that they can promote. The same can really be said for Friends and Frasier. It's not about telling a funny story of showing characters in humorous situations ... it's about being "momentous". There has to be a guest star, or someone has to fall in love or get pregnant in every single episode. The spots that promote these events just add to the insulting nature these shows have diminshed to.

das
Old 01-01-02, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still enjoy Frasier and Friends. Oh well Guest spots don't bother me either. Friends may be gone after one more season, but I think Frasier will be on until 2004? Isn't going for the 11 seasons to tie with Cheers? I thought that is what came about with the last contract, I could be going off a rumor though, I can't remember.

I use to watch Law & Order (sometimes I watch the reruns )... but now they have too many of them lol.
Old 01-01-02, 09:58 PM

I thought I read somewhere that it was Schwimmer who was holding out on another season. I think the show should just go off--it hasn't been very funny in years. The reason the ratings are up is because there was that cliffhanger episode about the pregnancy, and people think it's the last season, and everybody wants to see Ross and Rachel get together at the end. It's certainly NOT because the show is improved this year. The promos this season have been insipid-every week for a while there, it was Enya in the background, and the pregnancy storyline part 3, 4, whatever.
Old 01-01-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by martin q. blank
I thought I read somewhere that it was Schwimmer who was holding out on another season. I think the show should just go off--it hasn't been very funny in years. The reason the ratings are up is because there was that cliffhanger episode about the pregnancy, and people think it's the last season, and everybody wants to see Ross and Rachel get together at the end. It's certainly NOT because the show is improved this year. The promos this season have been insipid-every week for a while there, it was Enya in the background, and the pregnancy storyline part 3, 4, whatever.
Oh well I must be the only one on this forum who is still enjoying "Friends". I don't think people think this is the last season, they haven't really been saying that anywhere. I actually would like to see a twist in the last ep, maybe Rachel ends up with Gunther or something hehe.
Old 01-02-02, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts
I don't blame the shows - I blame NBC which is the by far, the worst when it comes to overpromotion. Even worse is their use of graphic overlays on the shows promoting upcoming programs. Now they even show the following type of graphic coming out of commericials with the folding peacock effect..."You are watching The West Wing." Well duh, NBC.

As for Friends, this season so far has been much much better than the last 2. However, I am getting very concerned about where they are taking this Joey/Rachel thing. The should probably end this show before it dies a slow horrible death.

As for Law & Order (my favorite show of all time), I really see a lack of quality this year. A lot of this comes from terrible acting of the new ADA (plus she isn't much to look at). I always enjoyed the 2nd 'Order' halves of the episodes more, but now I much prefer the 1st 'Law' half with Briscoe and Green. I think that with 3 L&Os, it is spread way too thin. The irony is that it is enjoying its highest ratings ever and this has been its worst season as far as quality.
Old 01-02-02, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog

As for Friends, this season so far has been much much better than the last 2. However, I am getting very concerned about where they are taking this Joey/Rachel thing. The should probably end this show before it dies a slow horrible death.
i really hope they don't get joey and rachel together. i also hope that if they don't ALL come back then none of them do. friends wouldn't be friends without all 6 of them.
Old 01-02-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
Now they even show the following type of graphic coming out of commericials with the folding peacock effect..."You are watching The West Wing." Well duh, NBC.

I agree - I hate when they are at the bottom of the screen "You are watchin..." , "Up next is....".

I am also VERY concerned on this Joey/Rachel thing. Just think of how many people they will anger if they get together. BAD! BAD IDEA! I know they go out on a date in the next episode (since that is the title), but they better not do anything else and say lets be friends. Or, it could end up they sleep together and it will be like the whole Niles sleeps with Lillith again - except on Friends - YUCK! NO!
Old 01-02-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh well I must be the only one on this forum who is still enjoying "Friends".
Don't worry, I'm still enjoying it as well. Last season was a little weak, but I think they've rebounded this year. I do vote for NO relationship between Joey and Rachel.
Old 01-02-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is what my Tivo description of the Rachel/Joey episode says:

Spoiler:
"Rachel helps Joey prepare for a big date by going out with him for a night on the town" ...Now I don't know if it is just the way I am reading it, but it doesn't sound like THEY are dating? Why would they go out for a night on the town to prepare for a date with themselves? Makes no sense to me.
Old 01-02-02, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or, it could end up they sleep together and it will be like the whole Niles sleeps with Lillith again - except on Friends - YUCK! NO!
GROSS! I don't think even FOX would stoop so low as to have two characters (and in this case popular 8pm broadcast characters) have sex while one is at least two months pregnant with another mutual friends baby (listen to that - sounds like the worst daytime drama writing ever)!

Think about it folks - it aint gonna happen. Ross would NEVER let Joey have a relationship with Rachel. It will be Ross and Rachel and Joey and Phobe (at least according to Phobe's premonitions from previous episodes ) IMHO, the writers are padding the show out because they are up in the air about the next season.

As for David Schwimmer, it would not surprise me if he is the hold out as he bartered his way into directing several episodes (GOD were they pedestrian for the most part in terms of direction!) this season. Hope springs eternal, but I gave up on this actor's career after season 2 of FRIENDS.
Old 01-02-02, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan

as he bartered his way into directing several episodes (GOD were they pedestrian for the most part in terms of direction!) this season.
I haven't seen any thing to suggest that the directing in any episode of Friends (or any other sitcom) strives to be anything but pedestrian.
Old 01-02-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan

GROSS! I don't think even FOX would stoop so low as to have two characters (and in this case popular 8pm broadcast characters) have sex while one is at least two months pregnant with another mutual friends baby (listen to that - sounds like the worst daytime drama writing ever)!
Very good take on that - would be like a soap opera there hehe.

And as for David directing -- keep him away. He is my least favorite "friend" anyway.
Old 01-04-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry folks, but I only watch the show for Chandler and Monica. I love to see them interact. Everyone else is just fluff (Joe, Phobe, Rachel) and stuff (Ross) and I would not miss them at all, though Joey does have some cute moments.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.