Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Anyone collect TV stars autographs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-01, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone collect TV stars autographs?

Anyone send in the fan mail and a SASE hoping to get a picture? I do hehe. I haven't sent any in awhile though, since I figured they would just throw it away due to all the mail scares.

Anyway, for those who do, who do you have?

I have (some you are probably like "who?"):

Adam West, Yvonne Craig, Ed Alonzo, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Rose Marie, Ed Asner, Barbara Feldon, Teri Hatcher, Larisa Oleynik, Kim Johnston Ulrich, Alan Oppenheimer, Paul Winfield, Paul Eiding, Lou Scheimer, Cast of Frasier, Cast of ER, Cast of Family Law, Rosie O'Donnell, Andrea Evans, McKenzie Westmore, Eartha Kitt

Plus...
Music people: Deborah Gibson, Taylor Dayne, Willa Ford, Paula Abdul

Movie people: Emilio Estevez, Ana Paquin, Alec Baldwin, Matthew Broderick, Frank Langella, Ana Faris

Still havent heard back from Cast of Yes Dear, Leah Remini, Tiffany, Juliet Mills, Jason David Frank, Carol Huston, Cork Hubbert, Judy Parfitt, Conan O'Brien, Sherry Stringfield, Alex Kingston, Maura Tierney, Megan Mullally, Julia Stiles, Tina Fey, Kevin Conroy, Jade Harlow.

My fastest responce was probably Larisa Oleynik - I got that in like 2 weeks. Just received Teri Hatcher a few days ago and I sent her letter about 7 months ago.
Old 12-14-01, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never written anyone, but after a Kids in the Hall tour show, I got all their autographs.

Plus I got Dave Foley to sign a The Wrong Guy poster and Scott Thompson to sign his book, Buddy Babylon.

Awesome experience. They're such nice people.
Old 12-14-01, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've been collecting non-sport trading cards of some of my favorite tv shows and movies for a while now. Over the past few years a lot of sets have been coming out with autograph cards seeded into the packs, usually at the rate where you'd find 1 autograph out of 40+ packs or more (some sets I think odds were 1 in 400+ packs). I think I've gotten pretty lucky with some of my finds.

Some of the best I've found are:
Lucy Lawless, Hudson Lieck and Claire Stansfield from Xena
Eliza Dushku, Juliet Landau and James Marsters from Buffy
Mitch Pileggi and John Neville from The X-Files
Nick Wechsler from Roswell
Helena Bonham Carter from Planet of the Apes (2000)
Jeri Ryan, Denise Crosby, Dwight Schultz and several others from various Star Trek casts

a few others I've gotten in various ways are:
in music - Tori Amos and Allison Moorer
in comics - Neil Gaiman (The Sandman) and Joseph Michael Linsner (Dawn)

I've never mailed any stars directly for autographs but the thought had crossed my mind before. A couple I'd like to get eventually are Julianne Moore and Christina Ricci. I've seen a magazine around called Autograph Collectors (or something like that), do you ever read that? Does it help with tips on how to get the best response and where to locate the addresses you should be sending your requests to?
Old 12-14-01, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do, but the list is long and don't have the time right now to list it.
Old 12-14-01, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by elektra
I do, but the list is long and don't have the time right now to list it.
Ditto ... I've easily got a few thousand. It would be impossible to list them.

As for sending SASEs, I don't want to be Joe Pessimist here, but only a few of the stars sign their own autographs by mail. As if autopens and preprints weren't enough of an annoyance, many of the celebrities have hired people that do the signing for them. Not all of them, of course, but enough to make it frustrating. Typically, if you get your letter back within a week, it ain't them. I've met a few of the people that do the signing for the stars, so they're not folklore.

It's a fun hobby though. I love comparing autographs at different times. I have about 7 John DeLancie autographs, all in person, at different locations, and none of them look remotely the same.

das
Old 12-14-01, 09:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I've written a few SASE's in my day and have gotten pretty good responses. A good way to hopefully ensure that it is a valid autograph is to also ask them a question in the letter. For example, I asked Kevin Spacey a few questions along with asking him for an autograph when I wrote him. About a month later, I got an autographed 8x10 along with a typed letter answering the questions I had asked. (Pretty good sign that he did indeed sign it himself). The same happened for John Landis and the late/great Jimmy Stewart.
Old 12-14-01, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Geofferson
(Pretty good sign that he did indeed sign it himself).
Pretty good sign that a human signed it ... not necessarily him. Just playing devil's advocate here.

das
Old 12-14-01, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where do you get the addresses from???
Old 12-15-01, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't care if they are autopen or anything. Big hoopy. I just want the picture. Only cost me about 75 cents anyway since I get the envelopes for free. I figure I have a better chance for a responce with a SASE.

I just recently sent out a few postcards to see if I get anything back. Hope so.

I agree, if they come back really fast they are usually pre-print. Like I said, the only one I got back fast was Larisa Oleynik, hers was genuine though. Fast responce most likely because I had a connection.

Oh well, it is a fun hobby.

I wish I could meet more celebrities , but don't we all. The only live autographs I have gotten are Willa Ford and Deborah Gibson.
What is great too is a lot that I write too are not famous famous, and they will send a letter with theres and such.

Last edited by Eternia; 12-15-01 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-15-01, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I collect way too many things to start now but I do have a couple. Kevin Conroy - voice of animated Batman - signed a Batman plate (in person, personalized to me) one year and a bust of Batman (again in person, personalized to me) a different year. I also got a picture and the Grease soundtrack autographed by Kenickie/Zack Allen (Jeff Conaway). Still a hottie.

Four signatures I would love:
Lucy Lawless
Lynda Carter
Sarah Michelle Gellar
David Boreanaz

hopefully someday I'll get them.
Old 12-15-01, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

WP - I'd love those same four myself.

das - yea, I know, I've gotten a few that I think were autopens and I think there are sites that will tell you if they actually sign themselves or not.

Bill Bixby is one that I've had for a while, plus a Charleton Heston.

My DeLancie's, well there's a story behind one, it says "To the best hands in the galaxy" and that's all I'm a sayin'.
Old 12-15-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
I collect way too many things to start now but I do have a couple. Kevin Conroy - voice of animated Batman - signed a Batman plate (in person, personalized to me) one year and a bust of Batman (again in person, personalized to me) a different year.
Everywhere I have read, everyone has had a success with sending Kevin a picture, etc to sign and he will send it back. Well its been 8 months and my Mask of the Phantasm VHS cover is still not here. Maybe it got lost, who knows. Oh well, it was just the VHS cover. That is the only time I ever sent something in to be signed except for two, 1) Deborah Gibson, she is very reliable on sending things in and she will sign them. Takes a long time but they do come back. Helps if you are a member of her fan club still too heh. 2) Barbara Feldon -- I read on a site that if you don't send a picture, she just signs a piece of paper. So I sent a picture I printed off the net on photo paper and she sent is back signed. I was happy.

And, for one, I just like getting mail.
Old 12-16-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
No, but I do collect their toenail clippings. Muhahahaaha.
[Troy looks around at a crowd staring at him and oddly turns and walks away.]
Old 12-16-01, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[elektra throws wet noodles at troy]

Dude, get with the program!
Old 12-16-01, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by troystiffler
No, but I do collect their toenail clippings. Muhahahaaha.
[Troy looks around at a crowd staring at him and oddly turns and walks away.]
I have George Luca$'s toenail clippings. Strange thing ... they've continued to grow long after I acquired them. I wonder what that means ... elektra?

das
Old 12-16-01, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!! George Lucas is a demon????!!!!!

Someone call the Slayer.......
Old 12-17-01, 09:13 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey

Pretty good sign that a human signed it ... not necessarily him. Just playing devil's advocate here.

das
I know...you have a point. However, what I have done several times is compare my autograph to a certified one that is pictured on-line somewhere. They are quite comparable.
Old 12-17-01, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Geofferson
I know...you have a point. However, what I have done several times is compare my autograph to a certified one that is pictured on-line somewhere. They are quite comparable.
Don't want to beat a dead horse here, because it's not really important, but they do have professionals who are trained to imitate their signature. This isn't Mulder conspiracy territory ... just a fact of life. Not all of them do it, but enough to keep you (or at least me) wary. Preprints and autopens, I can spot from a mile away, but those "secretarials" are quite difficult, because like you said, they are quite comparable. My general thought is if they're famous or currently working on a show/film, and it comes back within 2-3 weeks, it's a secretarial. But like Britney's biggest fan said, a nice photo of a celebrity for $0.75 ... not too shabby. Not trying to tell anyone not to collect by mail ... just wanted to throw out the word of warning.

das
Old 12-17-01, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

On that same point I would avoid places like eBay if looking for autographs. Anyone can print a photo quailty image off a color printer and scribble a name on it.

The only autographs I've gotten from eBay are a couple of the trading card autographs, because it's too hard for a forger to fake the trading card, and one autographed CD that was personalized to the person selling it. Most forgers don't personalize autographs, as it can reduce the appeal of the autograph to potental buyers -I believe most don't want to own an autograph signed to someone else.
Old 12-17-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Speaking of a Mulder conspiracy, Duchovney had a lawsuit against someone selling supposed autographed pictures of him, that were not his signature. Never heard the outcome of it, but I'm not surprised.

The only way to guarantee if it's authentic, if you're not getting the signature in person, is to compare it to a signature in an autograph pricing guide. The other option is the sites online that are certified members of the autograph guild or something along those lines. They get caught selling forgaries and it's really bad news for them. I can't remember the name of the organization, bu they can get you info on who really signs and who doesn't.
Old 12-17-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
The only way to guarantee if it's authentic, if you're not getting the signature in person, is to compare it to a signature in an autograph pricing guide. The other option is the sites online that are certified members of the autograph guild or something along those lines. They get caught selling forgaries and it's really bad news for them. I can't remember the name of the organization, bu they can get you info on who really signs and who doesn't.
Unfortunately, in recent years, even the UACC has come under fire for not really policing themselves like they shoud. So, for my money, the only people I'd buy an autograph from are convention promoters whom I know have the means to get the autographs en masse and have everything to lose by selling forgeries. Or like Tscott said, if it's personalized to someone weird or the autograph is on something really strange, it's probably authentic ... but it's really hard to tell. The biggest sham of all is "Certificate of Authenticity". I could sign God's name on a Bible and make a COA for it, and then claim the person who gave it to me said it was authentic, and never get in trouble for it. Like Tommy Callahan says, "I could get a good look at a butcher's a$$ by sticking my head up a bull ..."

das
Old 12-17-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

But like Britney's biggest fan said, a nice photo of a celebrity for $0.75 ... not too shabby. Not trying to tell anyone not to collect by mail ... just wanted to throw out the word of warning.

das
And to think I still do not have her autograph!?!! And she has stopped signing mail sent via the concert place she is at, started right when the mail stuff happened. Oh well. I'd even take a pre-print hehe.

I just got one in today --- another from McKenzie Westmore, sent in a magazine cover about oh 6 months or so ago.
Old 12-20-01, 09:54 AM

Yes, I collect autographs as well. My favorites are the quirkier ones.

I have Bernie Kopell's and Dick Gautier's autographs in my copy of "The Get Smart Handbook."

Carl Reiner signed my "2000 Year Old man" cd box set.

Martin Mull signed one of his albums for me.

And two times I've had celebrities mail me their photos: Tom Selleck (I love Magnum PI) and Matt Lauer (I wrote a letter telling him to encourage Katie Couric to quit. He sent me an autographed photo.) although the Lauer signature doesn't look like a man did it. No offense, Matt.
Old 12-20-01, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Danger1313
I have Bernie Kopell's and Dick Gautier's autographs in my copy of "The Get Smart Handbook."
Awesome! I am a huge Get Smart fan - glad to see it on TVLAND now. I have Barbara Feldon's autograph. I wrote to Don Adams but no reply yet. I was thinking of purchasing one off of Kopell's website. I think it was only $10 or $15, something like that.
Old 12-20-01, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Eternia
Awesome! I am a huge Get Smart fan - glad to see it on TVLAND now. I have Barbara Feldon's autograph. I wrote to Don Adams but no reply yet. I was thinking of purchasing one off of Kopell's website. I think it was only $10 or $15, something like that.
Would'ja believe ... $18.

das

This message will self-destruct in 15 seconds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.