Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed 12/3/01 (also 12/5/01)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 11:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ed 12/3/01 (also 12/5/01)

I really liked this one... lots of laugh-out loud moments.

Spoiler:
- This show's $10 bet... Mike bets Ed that he won't eat a chip, when Ed has apparently taken great pride in being that guy who "only ate just one," in defiance against the chip slogan "Betcha can't each just one." After some hesitation, Ed takes the bet.
- Molly & her guy develop their relationship... she buys a used car (where she and her guy make out) and ditches her old, full-of-memories one by dropping it into Stuckeyville Pond.
- Ed defends the middle school's drama teacher, who is being fired for supposedly being racist, but the truth is that it is the drama teacher being discriminated against for being gay.
- Diane (nerdy girl) gets her cousin, a celebrity publicist, to help Cheswick look cooler. Phase 1: take a picture of him dating a hot starlet (who ends up being Shirley, all dolled up to look... less weird). Phase 2: throw a party, invite the coolest kids... but let none of them in, making them think that Cheswick knows cooler people than them. Cheswick is so happy at this phase, he kisses Diane on the cheek, and Diane looks like she likes it. The publicity stunts work, and Jessica Martel invites Cheswick to hang with the cool kids.
- Principal Jackass sightings = 0, and that's good in my book.

Discuss! I thought Shirley's trick with the milkshake
Spoiler:
she pours it into a glass without looking down
was pretty neat... one of those "if you don't look, you miss it" moments.

Also, at the end of the show
Spoiler:
you had Ed & Carol standing together, Molly and her boy standing together, and... hmm, Cheswick and Diane standing together! Foreshadowing, anyone? Although, I think it's pretty obvious that Cheswick & Diane were getting together ever since she hatched the "get Cheswick & Jessica Martel together" plot.

Fire bad!

Last edited by Static Cling; 12-03-01 at 11:54 PM.
Old 12-04-01, 02:00 AM
wiz
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I normally don't watch Ed (I can never seem to catch it when it's on) but I caught the episode tonight and I must say that this is going to start becoming one of my must see shows during the week. What is it's regular showtime and day?
Old 12-04-01, 04:14 AM

Great episode! Possibly the best one this season...and yes, it sure looks now, even more than ever, that Warren is supposed to end up with Diane. Hmm...can anyone say Some Kind of Wonderful?
Old 12-04-01, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ed usually comes on Wednesday at 8 p.m. EST.

I'm surprised no one else saw the Warren/Diane thing coming a mile away.
Old 12-04-01, 05:40 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by martin q. blank
Great episode! Possibly the best one this season...and yes, it sure looks now, even more than ever, that Warren is supposed to end up with Diane. Hmm...can anyone say Some Kind of Wonderful?
"Maaaaaaaartin! Where are you?" "Budapest!"

I love Grosse Pointe Blank! Great screen name.

Fire bad!
Old 12-04-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
I'm surprised no one else saw the Warren/Diane thing coming a mile away.
actually some of us did. i thought that this episode had it's moments but overall it wasn't as good as some others this season. to me this one was not really about ed, his court case was just a side thing because they had to have him in there cause he's the main character. i thought this one was focusing on cheswick/diane and molly/jeff. while that is not bad, i guess i would have like to see more ed/carol interaction.

one thing that has really bugged me this season is how they have had the $10 bets mostly before the opening credits. or has it just seemed like that to me? last year they were interspersed throughout the episodes and you never knew where they were going to turn up. this year so far, you can pretty much count on them happening in the first couple of minutes.

anyway, not too bad of an episode but with a few more of the little things it could have been better.

"like it!"
Old 12-04-01, 08:46 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by kevin75
"like it!"

"Ed eats dog."

Fire bad!
Old 12-04-01, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
WHY did Warren keep mentioning that certain actor's vile name? It's horrifying. Almost 24 hours later and my cat still hasn't come out from behind the couch.

How hot did Shirley look all dressed up? GOOF ALERT - The single picture she posed for in the park wasn't the one that was published in the newspaper.

No Principal Dennis this week, yay!
Old 12-04-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
WHY did Warren keep mentioning that certain actor's vile name? It's horrifying. Almost 24 hours later and my cat still hasn't come out from behind the couch.

How hot did Shirley look all dressed up? GOOF ALERT - The single picture she posed for in the park wasn't the one that was published in the newspaper.

What was Dennis's big secret?? I missed the previous episode. All I remember was a preview showing that he had some dark secret which Ed knew about but couldn't tell Carol.
Old 12-04-01, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by hahn

What was Dennis's big secret?? I missed the previous episode. All I remember was a preview showing that he had some dark secret which Ed knew about but couldn't tell Carol.
He's a recovering alcoholic and was involved in an accident that injured one of his students.
Old 12-04-01, 09:48 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by Charlie Goose

I thought the "David Leisure... Joe Isuzu" joke was pretty funny... especially when the kids didn't get who David Leisure was. Poor guy.

And Shirley looked hot at first... and then when she pulled her shades off, I was like, "Ooops, just kidding." She looked like a vampire when she did her little pose for the camera!

Diane good! Jessica Martel BAD!
Old 12-05-01, 01:28 AM

Static Cling--Thanks. Grosse Pointe Blank is my favorite movie.

I saw the Diane and Warren thing coming as soon as she opened her mouth and said she would help him get Jessica Martel, but I still like it a lot.

"I'm the guy who only ate one."
Old 12-05-01, 08:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

Did anyone catch the teaser for the 12/12 episode?

Spoiler:
Carol. Sleeps. With. Principal. Jackass. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! If she got pregnant, could you call the baby human? And then it looks like PJ brings another (quite attractive) woman into what looks like a festive event at Stuckey Bowl, and Carol sees them and looks horribly disappointed. That's what you get when you make the beast with two backs with a guy you barely know. But thinking about it more... the lady could be his sister. We have no idea who she is. Hopefully, it's PJ's wife or something, so Carol gets rid of him, and we have another reason to hate him. But really, do we need another reason to hate PJ? It'd almost be overkill.

PJ bad! Ed good!
Old 12-06-01, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

look at it this way static... perhaps they are setting up a huge things for carol where she gets emotionally crushed only to seek comfort with ed and they finally end up dating?? on second thought, nah, that won't happen anytime soon.
Old 12-06-01, 11:25 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally posted by kevin75
look at it this way static... perhaps they are setting up a huge things for carol where she gets emotionally crushed only to seek comfort with ed and they finally end up dating?? on second thought, nah, that won't happen anytime soon.
I guess anything that will hasten the end of Carol & Jackass's relationship can be considered a good thing. I'm anti-Dennis, if you can't tell. Carol knows... she KNOWS... that Ed would be a good boyfriend. But it sounds like she has trust issues. Like Ed said in a previous episode, it's the bad boys that are safe, because you always know how it's going to turn out... badly. But the good guys... the ones you know are good... they can be scarier, because you don't know how they'll turn out.

Not that I relate to this phenomenon at all in my personal life or anything.
Old 12-06-01, 11:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
This show never fails. Week after week it is well written and quirky.