TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Too Much TV?

Old 11-28-01, 06:29 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too Much TV?

I am planning on getting DirecTV w/ TiVo soon. I was looking at DirecTV's program plans and was interested in getting the Total Choice Platinum. This is $83 per month for more than 160 channels including about 30 movie channels and 25 sports channels. Even with TiVo, I can only get 2 at one time. Is this too much TV? For those who have this plan, have you been happy? Do you have time to watch all these channels?
Old 11-28-01, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Huh?

What?

das

P.S. I have Total Choice Platinum service, and to be fair, I don't need it. It's great to have, but a lot of it is crap. I only watch the movie channels for original series, but I still have to have HBO for obvious reasons and SHO for the upcoming "Jeremiah" series. Combine these channels with the FOX Sports package for college football and FOX SPORTS WORLD (the greatest channel on Earth), and it's worth it to just bite the bullet and get the whole thing. It'll just depend on which channels you need. A lot of my channels are superfluous, but they're included in the packages with channels I need.
Old 11-28-01, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there such a thing as too much TV?
Old 11-28-01, 09:25 AM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally posted by elektra
I was thinking the same.
Old 11-28-01, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Geofferson
I was thinking the same.
Like I said "Huh? What?" I didn't understand his question ... these words are foreign to me.

das
Old 11-28-01, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elektra
Yeah, if you're paying $80 a month for TV, that's too much TV IMO. You can have a couple hundred of channels but you can only watch so much. That's nearly a grand a year for TV! Remember when TV was free. It still if you live with the networks and the independent stations.
Old 11-28-01, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by big whoppa
Yeah, if you're paying $80 a month for TV, that's too much TV IMO. You can have a couple hundred of channels but you can only watch so much. That's nearly a grand a year for TV! Remember when TV was free. It still if you live with the networks and the independent stations.
Yeah, I can eat dog poop for free too, but sometimes I like something with a little more substance.

das
Old 11-28-01, 11:06 AM
Cool New Member

I understand all of your comments. I couldn't believe that I would ask that question. But I had to know, so for anyone who actually has this service: How much do you watch per week? Do you feel you get your money's worth?
Old 11-28-01, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by KYJets
I understand all of your comments. I couldn't believe that I would ask that question. But I had to know, so for anyone who actually has this service: How much do you watch per week? Do you feel you get your money's worth?
No, but I have no other choice. I need HBO and SHO ... those are non-negotiable to me. I may drop down now that college football season is ending, since I can live without all the FOX Sports channels. What's gay is that the Biography channel is in the Family Pack, which isn't part of Total Choice. It is nice to have all the channels just in case, but most of them only get watched once or twice a month. I'm pretty regimented in my television viewing, so I know exactly what channels I'll be watching during a given month. For a channel surfer, it would provide a lot of variety. You could certainly get plenty of good channels on some of the lower packages and then add a movie package depending on your interest level.

das
Old 11-28-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey

Yeah, I can eat dog poop for free too.

Nothing wrong with that.

When I was paying for DirecTV service I had the total choice platinum which, at the time, was only $79 dollars a month. I loved it. I thought it was definitely worth the money, plus I have 4 receivers so I was recording like a crazy person. The sports channels alone were worth.

Of course this all changed when I decided to
Spoiler:
pirate
it, which made it even more worth it!

Too bad I have trees blocking the signal where I'm living now.
Old 11-28-01, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my area I have DirecTV and Comcast digital cable. To give you an idea of the differences I have DirecTV with Total Choice and Playboy TV monthly and It costs me $105.00 a month. And I only have 1 reciever. My cable costs about $90.00 a month and I have everything but Playboy plus I have 3 recievers. And my cable has about another 20 channels of HBO,MAX,Showtime and TMC. And the channels that you have to pay for in the Family pack on DirecTV all included in my cable package. My cable also has like 8 extra channels of MTV and VH1 also. The only thing my DirecTV is really good for anymore is the locals as they look 100 times better but they don't have a UPN or WB.
Old 11-28-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I pay what is it now, $31.99 a month for Dish 100, $12.99 a month for HBO, and $1.99 x 2 for NBC NYC and NBC LA. Plus there is $9.99 a month for my Tivo service. All is worth it for tv!