Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Bruce Timm wants you to support 'Justice League' widescreen!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-01, 07:44 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damnit people! Who the hell cares if you see more of the sky or more leg of Superman. The way youre SUPPOSED to see it is in widescreen. It was made that way. Bruce Timm tells you why!

http://forums.toonzone.net/showthrea...7969#post87969
Old 11-20-01, 08:24 AM

This may turn out to be a dumb question, but hey, it's early for me.

I can understand open matte (if that is the correct term) in live-action movies and such. I assume it has to do with the camera lens used, etc. That isn't my point though.

If it is an animated movie/series, why do they even bother animating the rest of Superman's legs? Can't they strictly animate for a true widescreen presentation and leave it at that, if that's how they truly want it presented. Seems to me that animating it fullscreen and then matting the picture sort of shoots yourself in the foot, doesn't it? "Yeah, we animated it fullscreen, but we want you to matte it." (Maybe I don't understand the animation process?)

I understand OAR and would prefer it to be seen the way it was intended, matted or not. I just don't know why the animators didn't see this coming, especially since widescreen TVs are hardly mainstream at this point.
Old 11-20-01, 09:07 AM
Banned

JL is storyboraded for widescreen but animated full screen and all that you're really missing in the matted version is some extra sky and the heroes boots. So you get a little more sky or earth. Big deal. What are you doing looking there anyway? You should be looking at the action. All the story is taking place in the center of the screen. You won't ever catch anything significant happening on the top or bottom of the screen. The widescreen device allows the creators to focus our attention where it belongs, not staring off at the sky.

Cropping a fullscreen picture that was designed for widescreen greatly increases the impact of the of the story. The creators chose the only smart avenue available. The alternative (pan 'n' scan) involves a lot of additional work post facto AND alters the creators' original vision (not to mention the impact of the material). Knowing they would need to plan for the future AND play to today's current aspect ratios (i.e. the paying client - CARTOON NETWORK - demanded a fullscreen version), they did the only smart thing they could do. ..they filled in the screen a bit (for full screen) and cropped with black (for widescreen). It doesn't change the fact the story was "designed" to be widescreen. IT WAS MADE IN WIDESCREEN!
Old 11-20-01, 09:13 AM

when is this show on anyways?
Old 11-20-01, 11:24 AM
Banned

Sundays 8:30PM eastern time.
Old 11-20-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Full screen, widescreen - doesn't matter to me. I'm still waiting for f-in Comcast to put Cartoon Network on my digital cable system.
Old 11-20-01, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by junkie
Mondays at 9:30 for new episodes.
Old 11-20-01, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Full screen, widescreen - doesn't matter to me. I'm still waiting for f-in Comcast to put Cartoon Network on my digital cable system.
Do yourself a favor if you can. Switch to any other cable company you can find. Get Direct TV if you have to. Comcast will NEVER improve their service. They have always relied on what they perceive to be a monopoly. You are going through what I went through 3 years ago when I was trapped in the filthy, evil suburb of SimiValley. At the time there were rumors that AT&T was laying cable nearby and that one day there would be a choice. I don’t know if you have any options like that, but I fully recommend counting on Comcast never ever ever getting better. Look into whatever else there is. I guarantee it will be better than Comcast (rabbit ears not included).
Old 11-20-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Kudama

Do yourself a favor if you can. Switch to any other cable company you can find. Get Direct TV if you have to. Comcast will NEVER improve their service. They have always relied on what they perceive to be a monopoly. You are going through what I went through 3 years ago when I was trapped in the filthy, evil suburb of SimiValley. At the time there were rumors that AT&T was laying cable nearby and that one day there would be a choice. I don’t know if you have any options like that, but I fully recommend counting on Comcast never ever ever getting better. Look into whatever else there is. I guarantee it will be better than Comcast (rabbit ears not included).

Believe me - I would if I could in a second. Comcast is the only game in town for cable (monopoly in Arlington Co, VA). My apt faces north so no shot at Direct TV.
Old 11-20-01, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog

Believe me - I would if I could in a second. Comcast is the only game in town for cable (monopoly in Arlington Co, VA). My apt faces north so no shot at Direct TV.
I’m sorry

At least we can put them on “the list” in anticipation of the day when law is rescinded.

: portentiousevilchuckle :
Old 11-20-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by junkie
Third time I've posted this -but when asked, I feel a need to respond.
http://alt.cartoonnetwork.com/Schedu...astern,00.html
Mon and Fri are full screen, Sun is widescreen. First three eps (Secret Origins) will be repeated starting 12/17.

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I will not support or watch their widescreen version until it is animated widescreen and not matted.

Old 11-20-01, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Eternia
I will not support or watch their widescreen version until it is animated widescreen and not matted.

Um, it IS animated in widescreen. Try reading some posts in the thread.
Old 11-20-01, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Snake Plissken

Um, it IS animated in widescreen. Try reading some posts in the thread.
It is animated in full screen and then MATTED INTO WIDESCREEN. I don't give a damn about storyboards.

YES! I want to see the rest of the sky and the boots of our superheros!

Perhaps YOU should check out the link to the Timm rants, they have pictures.

Hey, I support widescreen, and prefer it on DVDs. No Pan and scan. However, I will not watch a matted thing that is cutting away from the picture - even if it is just "sky and boots".
Old 11-20-01, 11:43 PM
Banned

The show is MADE in widescreen. Its SUPPOSED to be in widescreen. The only reason why its matted is because CARTOON NETWORK demanded full screen versions to please the joe six-packs in the world. THATS IT!

Originally posted by Eternia

It is animated in full screen and then MATTED INTO WIDESCREEN. I don't give a damn about storyboards.

YES! I want to see the rest of the sky and the boots of our superheros!

Perhaps YOU should check out the link to the Timm rants, they have pictures.

Hey, I support widescreen, and prefer it on DVDs. No Pan and scan. However, I will not watch a matted thing that is cutting away from the picture - even if it is just "sky and boots".
Old 11-21-01, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The show is MADE in widescreen. Its SUPPOSED to be in widescreen. The only reason why its matted is because CARTOON NETWORK demanded full screen versions to please the joe six-packs in the world. THATS IT!

EXACTLY. So when it is ANIMATED WIDESCREEN and not matted taking away from my picture, I do not support the matting. DO it the REAL way and animted it widescreen, not fullscreen, then I will support it. Cartoon Network has the final say so GET OVER IT.
Old 11-21-01, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Perhaps the intention is for it to be presented, but it isn't [/b]animated[/b] widescreen.

If it were truly animated in a format greater than 1.33:1, to make it full screen would mean matting the sides of the frame , not the top and bottom.

The show is presented full frame...yet we still want WS. That's kinda insane, no? What's next, crop off the top and bottom of Gone with The Wind, cause WS is better...no matter that it was presented full frame.
Old 11-21-01, 10:03 PM
Banned

What the hell are you two talking about? THE SHOW IS IN WIDESCREEN!!!!! Jesus! It was made in widescreen and drawn in widescreen. In order to stop Cartoon Network from bitching..... they drew extra parts on top and bottom to fill in the black bars. ITS MADE IN WIDESCREEN IN MIND! What the hell part of that dont you understand? Its supposed to be viewed in WIDESCREEN!

You bring up Gone With The Wind? What for? That was made before widescreen even existed which means the shots were correctly filmed by the director with full frame in mind.

Last edited by Snake Plissken; 11-21-01 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-21-01, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Snake, I don't give a rats ass about what you are saying. With full screen I get more image. OK? I would prefer widescreen, but right now the full screen one is better. If they go only widescreen, I would be happy. But, as long as the full screen version is there with more image, I am watching that. I do not wish to watch a matted screen. Bye now!
Old 11-21-01, 11:18 PM
Banned

I don't give a damn which version you watch. At least youre watching, but get your facts straight about the reason why the show is matted.
Old 11-22-01, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SNake, Cartoon Network gets the final say whether we like it or not. Like I said, if they go widescreen only, I will still be watching. But as long as the full sreen with more picture is there, I am there. Plus, I don't have a widescreen tv anyway heh.
Old 11-22-01, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The creators want the show in widescreen.

The studio makes them put extra stuff in to please joe six packs.

Easy choice. If I watched the show or got the network, I'd choose widescreen, as that is how it was ment to be seen.
Old 11-23-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What the hell are you two talking about? THE SHOW IS IN WIDESCREEN!!!!! Jesus! It was made in widescreen and drawn in widescreen. In order to stop Cartoon Network from bitching..... they drew extra parts on top and bottom to fill in the black bars. ITS MADE IN WIDESCREEN IN MIND! What the hell part of that dont you understand? Its supposed to be viewed in WIDESCREEN!
Pal, you might want to calm down a little bit. Part of the confusion might stem from the link you posted in your first post, which says:
"While originally thought that Justice League was animated widescreen and altered into full frame, it is the opposite. The widescreen showing will be "matted", meaning black bars placed over the tops and bottom of the full frame screen to give the widescreen feel."
Old 11-23-01, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by CaptainMarvel

Pal, you might want to calm down a little bit. Part of the confusion might stem from the link you posted in your first post, which says:
The voice of reason. That's what I've been trying to say all along!! But they just keep yelling.
Old 11-25-01, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Count me in on the widescreen preference. The artistic vision of the show is widescreen, and if it weren't for Joe Sixpack, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. More is not always better. I don't need, nor do I particularly want, superfluous sky and boots that aren't part of the actual storyboarding. Anyone complaining about something being "taken away" should note that the only thing "taken away" is excess crapola that was forcibly added to begin with. The "Gone with the Wind" analogy is flawed. More accurately, it would be like taking "Braveheart" and adding more picture to the top and bottom. Sure, it would be nice to see more sky and boots, I guess, but you'd lose the compact nature of widescreen.

You can do a lot of interesting filmmaking in widescreen. And, to be fair, many things look silly widescreen. But a show like 'Justice League' is absolutely perfect for widescreen. The characters are much more powerful when they fill the screen with their presence. Adding boney legs and sky just takes away from this. I've watched the opening episodes in both full frame and widescreen, and the widescreen version is definitely a superior presentation. So much of the fullframe extra is superfluous filler, and what comes through as powerful or menacing in widescreen looks simply "cartoony" when surrounded by the excess sky and ground.

But all that's just my opinion. What's important is that it's supposed to be widescreen, likely for the reasons I mentioned, and that's how I want to watch it. Like I said, more is not always better. Especially when the "more" is a bunch of artisticly blind execs trying to please Mr. and Mrs. Sixpack.

All that being said, they should spend less time worrying about widescreen vs. full frame and more time making the show less hokey. It has some promise, but they should probably review these scripts before producing them.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 11-25-01 at 04:52 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.