Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

George Carlin:Complaints and Grievances

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-01, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George Carlin:Complaints and Grievances

George Carlin Live from NY on HBO last night what did you think? I was worried at the beginning driving stuff wasn't all that funny but once he got rolling man....I had trouble breathing and seeing through some of this performance because George was killing me. Last 10 mins are some of his best stuff ever.
Old 11-18-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was pretty dissapointed with it. Definitely not his best work. There was really only about 10-15 mins out of the whole hour that was actually funny.
Old 11-18-01, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought it was great.
The best part was probably the male names (Todd)
Another good part was the whole scab on your head segment, and when he said what he was going to do to wait to peel it off, "...masturbate in the kitchen" The face of him "masturbating" was priceless and
Old 11-18-01, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts
yeah the names things was pretty funny,
"hi Tucker, I'm Todd"
"Hi Todd, I'm Tucker"

but I almost blew Pepsi out of my nose when he did the bit about the guy who does the pinky and the thumb while telling about talking on the phone.

It definatley wasn't his best show but I found enough of his jokes to keep me laughing. And it's a good thing he changed the name to "Complaints and Grievances" considering the original title was "I kind of like it when a lot of people die"

Even though this wasn't his greatest material he is still the funniest comedian around IMO.
Old 11-19-01, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Ten Commandments segment at the end
was definitely some of the best stuff
I've ever heard.

Yes it wasn't one of his best specials and it gets off to a slow start but there's good stuff after that.

I'm also sure that some of his material got canned because of the 911 incident and the original name of the special as stated above.

I saw him live on Sept. 29 and the only stuff he didn't have there was the small 911 bit at the beginning.

Everything else was mostly the same.
Old 11-19-01, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would have liked to have seen this. It's impossible to agree with absolutly everything this guy says, but he's hilarious.
Old 11-19-01, 01:57 PM
Banned

Hee Hee Hee!!! I love it when someone can articulate their bitterness and anger at members this species in such an entertaining and venomous way. He even addressed one of my personal peeves: those smug f*ckin’ @-holes that walk around talking into headsets like the fate of the free world depends on their whims. I see ‘em all the time and his take was absolutely dead-on. It is weird how the attitude goes with the device.

Cel phones are: “…so she said ‘oh yeah? Well you cheated on him too. What? Oh I’m [at the bus stop/ shopping/on BART/at the movies] ok. Ok. I’ll see you at your house.”

Ear piece mike phones are: “…so they know I’m one of the key guys on this. Bustorrf better get his act together or he’ll miss the boat. Big numbers, baby, Oh yeah! Right. Gotta motor. So, Monday at The Velvet Turtle? Right. Uh huh. Yup. Ciao.”

Man! It felt good to hear that someone else has had violent impulses toward these people.
Old 11-19-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While I laughed a few times I thought it mostly sucked. The best part was the phone-mime bit.
Old 11-20-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love George but I was dissapointed. He works on these bits for several years between specials and usually comes up with killer material. This was funny but not as funny as he's capable of.
Old 11-20-01, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I'm a big fan 'o' George's but this one was just ok. Actually I fell alseep on it
Old 11-25-01, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by nazz
I love George but I was dissapointed. He works on these bits for several years between specials and usually comes up with killer material. This was funny but not as funny as he's capable of.
More than likely a lot of his material was canned after 9-11 and he had to re-work it for the HBO special in less than 2 months.

Not his best stuff for sure, but decent.
Old 11-26-01, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Even the WORST GC concert is better than 95% of the other drivel being passed off as comedy today...