Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Iron Chef USA (11/16)-Reactions

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What do you think of Iron Chef USA?
Turn up the heat!
8.33%
Needs some improvement.
41.67%
Close the kitchen.
50.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, after watching Iron Chef USA, I think that the show needs to be worked on. There are some rough spots, but nothing that can't be adjusted. Without spoiling the episode, I thought it was too flashy and had too many interviews, with less emphasis on the cooking. I mean, incidental music during the competition. Come on now.
Old 11-16-01, 10:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not to mention they need to axe the commentators, keep the camera crews out of the way of the chefs, and find a new panel of judges (except the "fat pig", he's funny ).
Old 11-16-01, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I liked it quite a bit, despite all the negative reviews I read. The sound mix was horrible, though. In the beginning, I could hardly hear the commentators. Not that that's a bad thing.

My only real disappointment? Shatner not taking a bite of pepper.
Old 11-16-01, 10:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW anyone else expecting a protest letter from PETA before the weekend is over
Old 11-17-01, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish shatner had more oppurtunities to ham it up. It was the only real bright spot. The phone call in the middle was horrible I was checking the credits to see if Vince Russo was on there. I just kept thinking I would rather watch one of the episodes on my Tivo instead of this. The floor reporter seemed really useless I want someone down there interrupting with ingredients, and things like Ohta she seemed that she didn't have any knowledge it was just fed to her. With Shatner invovled it could be very entertaining(but never as good) but it almost seems as if they are trying to hard.
Old 11-18-01, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the words of Jay Sherman, "It stinks!"

Shatner was enjoyable, a little bit anyways.

They need to ditch the commentators! The one guy who kept asking questions, WTF? He's supposed to be a commentator on Iron Chef and yet he doesn't know a thing about food, cooking, or culinary equipment. The 2nd guy was a bit more knowledgeable, but still kept giving bogus info.

The woman on the floor (I forget her name) was kicked off her own show on the Food Network for a good reason, she's not doing any better here.

The Iron Chef American, what a joke. That guy was as obnoxious as the day is long. And, most of his dishes were not original. Any hardcore fan of Food Network will have seen at least 3 of his 'original dishes' having been prepared by Ming, Bobby Flay, and another guy who's name escapes me. In other words, I call shenanigans on him for being a rip-off hack.

The judges were horrible. It seemed like they all judged on the taste/quality of the food and not what they should be judging on, the actual use of the secret ingredient in the food. You could tell by their comments that they didn't quite get this concept.

The cameras showed very little of the food being prepared. For me, that's one of the best parts of Iron Chef. You get to see the dish go from raw ingredients to finished product. Here, we saw a chef ham it up for the audience, who cares what he was making...

It was if the show was done by people who had heard of the original Iron Chef, but not actually ever seen it. Know what I mean?
Old 11-18-01, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OH NO! I missed it! When does it reair?
Old 11-18-01, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I kind of thought it sucked. I love Iron Chef but this was aweful.

Too overdone. Too much flash. Not enough empahsis on the cooking or the ingredients.

Floor reporter is useless, lose her. The commentators, geez this isn't Monday night football. Loose them too. Get in some people who know about food.

The tasters. I love Bruce Vallanch. I'd keep him. And WTF was up with showing the Blone Bimbo eating in slow motion? Who the f*ck cares about that? They had to throw in some sexual thing and insult our intelligence.

I like Shatner and his outfit. He needs to stay off the floor during the cooking, unless he's going to be the floor reporter.

It was too overdone, too cheesy and a poor rip-off.

Unless they have an interesting challenger, like Emeril, Bobby Flay or one of the Iron Chef's, I doubt I'll watch. It was horrible to me.
Old 11-18-01, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah Shatner as the floor reporter would be awesome as long as it was actually about the food.
Old 11-19-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree about the horrible sound mix. Between the music and the loud cheering, I could hear very little, especially in the beginning.

Did that idiot commentator remind anyone else of Fred Willard in "Best in Show"?

Some of the questions he was asking was retarded.