Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 11-13-01

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 06:32 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by martin q. blank
As for Anya the character looking older, she was a demon for hundreds of years, and (correct me if I'm wrong here) it wasn't specified how old she was when she was turned into a vengeance demon.

KrazyKal--What issue was the Alyson interview in?
If you go to the "Buffy on FX" thread, towards the bottom there is a post about how old Anya is. I'm think it said over a thousand? LOL But I could be very wrong.

Yea, here ya go martin. In the other thread, elektra said "Dopplegangland is pretty amusing. I love the 'Bored now.' I also like Anya at the bar, 'I'm 1120 years old. Give me a f*cking beer.'" Wow...that's OLD.

I don't know which issue of Playboy it was in - I don't subscribe to the magazine or anything - I just saw a link to it online from one of the Buffy sites. I'm sure you'd be able to search for it on their website.

Kal

Last edited by KrazyKal99; 11-16-01 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-16-01, 06:48 AM

Yeah, I thought there was something that said she was 1120--I was just too lazy to look for it. Heh.
I'd be interested to find out what her age as a human was before she was turned into a demon. She's apparently that same age now, because it doesn't look like being a demon ages you.
Old 11-16-01, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by elektra
Wizdar - I think the "beating you over the head with the message" is more the Star Trek way of doing things. Joss goes the way of sublety. I also 100% disagree. This show has been and continues to be Emmy material.
Star Trek has its moments, but it's definitely more obvious than 'Buffy' in its messages. Except for 'Enterprise' ... which is so subtle, I haven't even picked up on the message yet.

And yes, 'Buffy' is definitely Emmy material. The last two years have been tough with some serious competition in the drama categories, but during seasons 2 and 3, it was the best show on television, and if nothing else, deserved a nomination.

das
Old 11-16-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem with the Emmy's is they won't take is seriously because it's a Fantasy show. SMG continually turns in fantastic performances and is the equal of anyone else who is nominated in the Lead Actress in a Drama Series.
Old 11-16-01, 11:31 AM

The problem with the Emmy's is they won't take is seriously because it's a Fantasy show. SMG continually turns in fantastic performances and is the equal of anyone else who is nominated in the Lead Actress in a Drama Series.

Oh yeah! This is SMG's role. Can't stand it in movies so much though. I actually read that she originally tried out for the part of Cordelia--imagine that difference! This does continue to impress me over and over again even if the villains don't seem as good as the last season's etc. The acting is great. She should have been nominated alone for the last three episodes last season. Maybe they don't know to place it in Comedy or Drama.

From das monkey "Star Trek has its moments, but it's definitely more obvious than 'Buffy' in its messages. Except for 'Enterprise' ... which is so subtle, I haven't even picked up on the message yet."

I would say the overall message is: Don't hire John Archer as your Captain
Old 11-16-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When Marg Helgenberger (whom I like, but isn't in the same league as the others) gets nominated over SMG, it makes you wonder if the committee actually has a good tan or is stained from hours of submerging their heads in their asses.

das
Old 11-16-01, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I'll go with the latter.

mots2 -
Old 11-16-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
If Anya is over 1,000 years old, then why does she always come across as such a ditz? I thought one got smarter with age. Oh well, Buffy logic differs from real logic.
Old 11-16-01, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
If Anya is over 1,000 years old, then why does she always come across as such a ditz? I thought one got smarter with age. Oh well, Buffy logic differs from real logic.

I believe it's because she doesn't know about being human at all and she never quite fits in...always saying the wrong thing at the wrong time and not understanding why people do what they do in a situation. That's all foreign to her. She's used to having a lot more power at her fingertips.
Old 11-16-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Um ... exist in relative solitude as a vengeance demon for a thousand years, experiencing only they peripheral negatives of humanity, and then have all your powers ripped from you and forced to exist as a human, with feelings and emotions that are completely foreign to you, and see how you handle it. Most humans have a hard time interacting with people of their own age group at that time of their life. She has nothing in common with these people ... in fact, she has nothing in common with anyone. Yes, 'Buffy' logic differs from fake, idealized, NBC-world logic, but as far as the "real" world ... it's surprisingly insightful. Why do you think we all watch this show? Without it's insight into humanity, it's just another teen drama.

das
Old 11-16-01, 08:51 PM
Banned

What if Faith came back and became totally good and Buffy died for good.

Would anyone watch a Faith the Vampire Slayer spinoff?
Old 11-16-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - couldn't have said it better.

snake - I'd definitely check it out. If it was a Joss show, particularly.
Old 11-17-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Snake Plissken
What if Faith came back and became totally good and Buffy died for good.

Not anymore than I watch Angel, which is 0.
Old 11-17-01, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I know it's already been answered 3 times, but I want to add my take to it.

She lived for 20 years as a farm girl in the 7th century. Not a lot of chance to gain insight there.

Then, for the next 1100 years she was a demon, and from things shown on the show she was not a 'ditz' as a demon, but a very good one. Of course her only social interactions were with other demons. We even got to meet one of her ex-boyfriends, if you saw that episode.

Now, she's had like 2 or 3 years as an actual modern day human being, eeking out a living and living in a world that is completely foreign to her. She's not a 'ditz' she just has no social graces. There have been quite a few episodes showing she has a greater understanding of the demonic world than anyone else on the show and is actually very intelligent about things, just not life. In other words, she suffers from culture shock, and that's about it.
Old 11-17-01, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Snake Plissken

A resounding "YES". Considering Joss's hands would be all over anything Buffy related, I would assume if he came up with an idea forro a spinoff then it would be worth watching. Plus my love of the character would probably require I wear a bib and take a cold shower once a week if Faith really had her own show.
Old 11-17-01, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sooner or later, SMG and company will call it quits, so if Joss and company decided they needed to inject more fresh blood into a new TVS series, I would expect them to kill off Faith and bring in a totally new slayer. But that's just my gut reaction/feeling on the subject.

Last edited by Patman; 11-17-01 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-17-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They wouldn't necessarily need to kill Faith, she's in jail. But they would need to activate a new slayer somehow.
Old 11-17-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They wouldn't necessarily need to kill Faith, she's in jail. But they would need to activate a new slayer somehow.
I thought a new slayer is activated ONLY when the present slayer becomes dead.

Buffy was dead for a few minutes in Season 1, which brought Kendra on-line. And then Kendra was killed by Drusila, Faith was brought on-line. When Buffy dies, there shouldn't be another slayer brought on-line. Of course, I have no idea how the council knows the exact moment when their slayers die.
Old 11-18-01, 01:38 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Patman

When Buffy dies, there shouldn't be another slayer brought on-line. Of course, I have no idea how the council knows the exact moment when their slayers die.

I think the slayer maybe a product of the Powers or some other mystical force; the watchers are only there to train and guide.
Old 11-18-01, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Now that Giles is gone does Buffy get a new watcher?
Old 11-18-01, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Buffy isn't the offical slayer anymore. Faith is, she's in jail. Buffy has told the Watcher's Council to F*** off more then once. I doubt she'll get another watcher because of these two reasons.

Slayers are activated by the Powers when the pervious slayer dies. No one knows who the Slayer is going to be. The Council will use magics, fortune tellers and the like (sort of like Wolfram and Hart does) to try and find out who the next Slayer will be. There are watchers all over the world who train possible future slayers. Kendra was being trained before she was a slayer. Buffy died, and Kendra became the offical slayer. Buffy was one of the slayers that they couldn't find before she was made into one. Once she was made though, she was easy to track. And then she was, and there ya go.

And when Buffy dies, there will be no new slayer. Actually, Buffy died last season as well, no new slayer yet. There's your proof.
Old 11-18-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but in season 5, Checkpoint, the council and Buffy reached an agreement to work together again and Giles was reinstated as her official watcher.

When Kendra died, she wasn't the official Slayer, Buffy was. If you rewatch Faith, Hope and Trick, when they're talking at the Bronze, Faith indicates that she wasn't really supposed to be in Sunnydale and by the end of the episode, you know she really came there to get Buffy's help in killing Kakistos.

So, Buffy still is the Slayer. We have not, however, found out if a Slayer has ever retired or walked away from this and I tend to think not. The question becomes, does the council choose the slayer or does something else?

And also, yes, she did die at the end of last season and so far, no new Slayer, but that also assumes that slayer would come to Sunnydale. Kendra did, but in the Bizzarro Buffyverse from The Wish, she didn't live in Sunnydale. So, we'll have to see if another Slayer is activated and what becomes of that.
Old 11-19-01, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but in season 5, Checkpoint, the council and Buffy reached an agreement to work together again and Giles was reinstated as her official watcher.
Yeah, work together, but in no where near the same capacity as before.

When Kendra died, she wasn't the official Slayer, Buffy was. If you rewatch Faith, Hope and Trick, when they're talking at the Bronze, Faith indicates that she wasn't really supposed to be in Sunnydale and by the end of the episode, you know she really came there to get Buffy's help in killing Kakistos.
Well, since there were two, they were oth the offical slayers at this point, and the Watchers Council treated them as such. No one told Buffy or Giles though, which is one of the reasons Buffy and Giles left the Council.

So, Buffy still is the Slayer. We have not, however, found out if a Slayer has ever retired or walked away from this and I tend to think not. The question becomes, does the council choose the slayer or does something else?
Well, as I said before, the "offical" slayer in the eyes of the powers is the one who is alive. Buffy died, Faith is the offical powers slayer... the slayer by way of nature, if you will. But since Buffy is the one not in jail, the council is going to consider her the offical slayer. One they have little control over of course, but still the offical one. The council never can choose who the powers give the slayer abilitys too. They can only predict. I'm sure that they have in training slayer doing patrols and such, perhaps in groups. Just because they have no powers, doesn't mean they can't fight vampires.

And also, yes, she did die at the end of last season and so far, no new Slayer, but that also assumes that slayer would come to Sunnydale. Kendra did, but in the Bizzarro Buffyverse from The Wish, she didn't live in Sunnydale. So, we'll have to see if another Slayer is activated and what becomes of that.
Hmm, well, I don't quite get your point. Kendra wouldn't be the offical slayer in the Bizzaro verse because Buffy never died in that one (until the episode's end.) And so Kendra would still be in training, waiting for her dreams and special powers to kick in, if she turns out to be the choosen one.

Whedon has said though, there's a "one replacement per slayer" rule. So unless he changes his mind... we wont get another one until Faith is dead.
Old 11-19-01, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps not in the exact same capacity, but Buffy is the official Slayer, working for the council.

Actually, at the end of What's My Line Part 2, Kendra went back home and Buffy was the Slayer. Kendra was sent to help Buffy and bring her some tools to fight Angelus and Acathala. The only reason that I can recall that Buffy left the council was because of the council's refusal to assist her when Angel was infected with that disease, by Faith in the end of season 3.

D'oh! Sorry, I should have specified that is was Buffy who didn't live in Sunnydale, so some of the slayers live elsewhere. It's not very clear how to determine where the slayer resides, when exactly they get their powers, etc.

I just didn't get the impression that Faith was Kendra's replacement. But you very well could be right and we won't get a new slayer until Faith dies.
Old 11-19-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just didn't get the impression that Faith was Kendra's replacement. But you very well could be right and we won't get a new slayer until Faith dies.
See, that was my point from the get-go. The next slayer must come through Faith's death, not Buffy's since she's already triggered the calling of a slayer, no more can come from her "next" death. So, if/when SMG decided to hang up her stakes, to bring in another Slayer for "The Vampire Slayer: The Next Generation", Faith might have to be killed in prison for it to happen.

But here's the nice thing: Buffy could basically retire once Faith dies and a new slayer is called up for the majors. So Buffy doesn't necessarily have to die, and could attain slayer/watcher status (the watcher part is a stretch, I do admit). I would like to think that Buffy would get to retire, find a nice guy, start a family and live a long life filled with more happiness than she's had so far in her life.

Last edited by Patman; 11-19-01 at 08:53 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.