Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 11-13-01

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patman - But, I'm deducing my answers from the informatoin the show has given me. Faith was not Kendra's replacement. Kendra was not the Slayer when she died. Faith admited she was not supposed to be in Sunnydale, but turned up because she's watcherless and wants to compare notes with Buffy. Then you find she's really there because she needs help dealing with Kakistos. So again, I wonder when will the next slayer get activated and how? Faith has her powers and had them before she got to Sunnydale, which means before she was activated. So, I wonder about that. Remember, she talks about the wrestling aligators in the south and rescuing the baptists in Boston. So, I still have more questions.
Old 11-19-01, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
According to Joss, this is how it went. Buffy died in Season One, Kendra was called and became the official Slayer (in the line of Slayers). Technically, Buffy is not the official slayer, but the council still treats her a a Slayer because this has never happened before. Kendra is killed and Faith is called. Faith is the new official Slayer. Now she is in prison and we will not get a new official Slayer until she dies. Joss said all that except for how Buffy fits in. He just said that she is not part of the "line" any more and we won't get a new Slayer until Faith dies.

X
Old 11-19-01, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Elektra (nice to have you back, BTW) Have you considered that TPTB have their own ways of cajoling a slayer to Sunnydale? Perhaps they used the Kakistos to push Faith towards Sunnydale (even with the grueling death her Faith's watcher - it wouldn't be beneath the Council to allow such a thing to happen to get a slayer where she needed to be - I'm reminded of the Council's methods after re-watching "Helpless" again last night).

How did Buffy wind up in Sunnydale, somehow she got booted out of her old high school (yes, no one could prove that Buffy set the gym on fire, blah blah blah), and she gets re-located to Sunnydale. Who knows how TPTB made all of that happened as well....hmmm....
Old 11-19-01, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Patman
So, if/when SMG decided to hang up her stakes, to bring in another Slayer for "The Vampire Slayer: The Next Generation"...
Do you honestly think the show can survive without SMG? Or that they would even try?
Old 11-19-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Xander - thanks for the info. Okay that at least make sense.

Patman - yes, I think that's what happened to be Buffy and mom there. PTB helped her or the Watcher's Council steared her there. Thanks, nice to be back.

Wizdar - watch Buffy w/o SMG, I'm with you in that I'm doubtful, but a spin off a la Angel, starring Faith could be cool.
Old 11-19-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on the side of 'Buffy' can't survive without SMG, at least not in any form other than a loosely based spin-off show. The 'Angel' premise is a good one, but the show is really nothing like 'Buffy' at all. I don't think it's possible to tell another Slayer story. Maybe other stories are possible within the Buffyverse, but the Slayer lore is all SMG.

das
Old 11-26-01, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrN
[B]Pretty much the whole season was 'dark' until the musical, so I think another comedy episode right away felt like a cheat to most people.

I didn't mind it - this is classic Buffy, complete with the song from the band-of-the-week. I loved the comedy and the episode progressed the story. Giles finally left - since we already had a lengthy goodbye to him earlier in the season, I don't think another one was warranted. And because Buffy didn't say goodbye to Giles, she will have that abandonment feeling which seems to be pushing her towards Spike.
I couldn't agree more about this episode being classic Buffy - it was so funny I had to keep rewinding the tape because I couldn't hear the funnies over my laughter.

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm about 2 weeks behind in my tv watching, but you would be too if you had 35 some odd hours of tv to keep up with per week. So I'm chiming in now, because I found this episode so hilarious that it shines as one of my favorites in YEARS. Granted, I despised the loan shark, though I still find the kittens as currency as fairly grin-worthy. (getting old fast though, so hopefully they won't drive it into the ground)

Couldn't have found the dynamics and lines funnier after the gang went blank. Giles giving Spike a hug and Spike thinking he was Angel were CLASSIC! Randy - hee! And I was rolling at the skeleton dueling with Giles (Rupy) and Anya conjuring the bunnies - too good!

It helps of course that the funny episodes are my favorites - not to detract from eps like Hush or The Body, but so far the musical and this one are right up there in my top five episodes - I just love the really funny ones.

As to the way slayers are called - I discussed this weeks ago and said pretty much exactly what Xander said - there's one "slayer" at a time (at least according to the council) and when that slayer dies, the next is called. One replacement only. So Buffy died and Kendra was called, and then Kendra died and Faith was called. Since Buffy ended up living and staying in Sunnydale (with her slayer powers), there was no need for the "real" (official) slayer to go there, and that's why Faith wasn't "supposed" to go to Sunnydale. I think her comment was in regard to her choice of location, not an implication that she was not supposed to be called as a slayer at all. It was definitely Kendra's death that caused Faith to be called - Willow even mentioned it in an episode in season 2 or 3 (or was it Cordy?). So no new slayer until Faith dies. Buffy is out of the slayer loop as it were.

Anyway - my main point in chiming in now is to say that one of the reasons I love this show so much is the humor, so all of these dark episodes in a row were dragging on me (not that I don't understand the reason why and agree that they were appropriate) but I was hoping all along that the musical would signal a return of sorts to "classic buffy" where the gang isn't quite so burdened by the horror they face each day. I know the horror is there and seems to get worse each year, so it rings true that they would have heavier hearts now than a few years ago, but as a person wanting to be entertained I like to be, well, entertained (in the lighthearted sense). Not all the time, as that would cheat us all out of the drama and pathos that Buffy is adept at delivering, but sometimes...so I don't think two episodes in a row with a lighter tone (and I would argue that a lot of the musical was heavy, not light) are "too many."

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 11-26-01 at 03:35 AM.
Old 11-26-01, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
Yeah, yeah, I know I'm about 2 weeks behind in my tv watching, but you would be too if you had 35 some odd hours of tv to keep up with per week.
Be honest with yourself, now. Watching 35 hours of TV per week is not your problem. A moderate lifestyle allows 8 hours/day for work and 8 hours/day for sleep. That leaves 56 hours in the week. Perhaps you are not prioritizing. Perhaps you've strayed from the path and are interacting with other "people." Or God forbid, you have a family ... the nemesis of proper television viewing.

If this kind of activity continues, I may be forced to perform an "intervention." You're already a good 21 hours under minimum viewing capacity, which accounts for a generous allotment of sleep. There are programs you can enroll in to get yourself straightened out. Don't give up. Whatever happens, we're here for you.

das
Old 11-26-01, 08:31 AM

Michelle Branch was thanked in the closing credits.

I don't think we've seen the last of Giles. I was looking up Anthony Stewart Head on imdb the other day and happened across a pre-production entry for "Ripper (2002)."

Btw, where does "Ripper" come from again?

Mike

p.s. I found another article on "Ripper" at Cinescape.

Last edited by mrosen; 11-26-01 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-26-01, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Don't give up. Whatever happens, we're here for you.

das
I often feel like a slacker, living in the shadow of das as it were, but my thoughts and prayers are with you also.

The holidays can be tough times, what with pressures of the family and such. Unfortunately, it’s not over yet, so hang tough and make sure you’ve got enough blank tape.
Old 11-26-01, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are programs you can enroll in to get yourself straightened out.
Any of these on video?

Old 11-26-01, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

mrosen - comes from Giles' misspent youth when he was in his late teen/early 20's I believe. He was into Dark Magic. They kind of touch on it in the 2nd Season Ep "The Dark Age."
Old 11-26-01, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
"Ripper" is supposed to be a mini-series (6 part I think) from the BBC, overseen by Joss and starring Anthony Stewart Head. Rumored to be about more "mystical" things like ghosts and spirits than demons and vampires. Hopefully, they will either show it here as well or release it on DVD.
Old 11-26-01, 10:18 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
"Ripper" is supposed to be a mini-series (6 part I think) from the BBC

FYI - 6 episodes on the BBC is considered a season on that side of the pond.
Old 11-26-01, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MrN

Or actually a "series". I noticed how Brits have this quaint way of referring to seasons as "series". Series 1, Series 2, for example. Whereas, here in the states, it's all one "Series".

Old 11-26-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by MrN

Huh...didn't know that. Thanks
Old 11-26-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be honest with yourself, now. Watching 35 hours of TV per week is not your problem. A moderate lifestyle allows 8 hours/day for work and 8 hours/day for sleep. That leaves 56 hours in the week. Perhaps you are not prioritizing. Perhaps you've strayed from the path and are interacting with other "people." Or God forbid, you have a family ... the nemesis of proper television viewing.

If this kind of activity continues, I may be forced to perform an "intervention." You're already a good 21 hours under minimum viewing capacity, which accounts for a generous allotment of sleep. There are programs you can enroll in to get yourself straightened out. Don't give up. Whatever happens, we're here for you.

das
ROFLMAO! Yep - you got me - those pesky family and friends and (gasp) BOOKS have gotten in the way of my tv viewing. Looks like some serious reassessing the value of each friend and family member is in order - I mean, cutbacks are rough but what can you do? Certainly not drop a show or two! vbeg!
Old 11-26-01, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by draven-x
"Ripper" is supposed to be a mini-series (6 part I think) from the BBC, overseen by Joss and starring Anthony Stewart Head. Rumored to be about more "mystical" things like ghosts and spirits than demons and vampires. Hopefully, they will either show it here as well or release it on DVD.
I thought this had been put on hold indefinitely? As to why, my memory is failing me but I think it was something about ASH wanting to do something new, or perhaps there were issues between the BBC and Whedon re: direction of the show. Darn it - now I need to know - I'll try to find where I saw that info and post if I can locate it.