DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dark Angel: Anyone else think it's starting to suck? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/158036-dark-angel-anyone-else-think-its-starting-suck.html)

cliffzig 11-11-01 08:43 PM

Dark Angel: Anyone else think it's starting to suck?

IMO, the first season was excellent. Lot's of interesting plot twists, great action, and overall much better quality. But season two has left me overly disappointed so far. With the animal people running loose and all, Logan and Max not being able to touch at all, etc...

I guess moving to Friday night really was a death sentence. I look for this season to be the last.

palebluedot 11-11-01 09:37 PM

Yes this show has gone beyond the ridiculous. It's almost unwatchable...aside from eye candy.

edstein 11-11-01 10:16 PM

I have stopped watching this show. What is Cameron thinking. I will watch "24" from now on.

MrN 11-11-01 11:46 PM

I actually gave up on it midway through season 1.

Kal-El 11-12-01 12:26 AM

Yeah for some reason, it just doesn't have the "hook" that it had last season.

uberjoe 11-12-01 12:49 AM

I never had any interest in it, mostly because I'm ticked at James Cameron for being such a giant tool. "King of the World," my a$$. Also, the selling point for the show seemed only to be a babe, and I wasn't willing to give my time to see if the show would amount to anything more.

Apparently, I made the right choice.

Venusian 11-12-01 12:51 AM

yeah, its gettin lame...they need to stop focusing on the animal people and get back to some manticore story lines (except manticore is gone). maybe if she starts looking for sandman again or something

dave955 11-12-01 01:06 AM

I watched maybe a half dozen of S1 eps and I've seen just one of the S2 eps but it seemed to me like it was rather well done, and Alba learned to act during her summer vacation. Maybe it was a CGI trick or just a good week for her, though.

BizRodian 11-12-01 02:52 AM

I watched the first 4 or so episodes, and I never liked it much. I watched one later, and I still didn't like it much. They had their moments, and the show had a really awsome setting and world to live in. I mean, wow, if I was a TV writer, I would DIE for a setup like that. But it just didn't make it. Half the episodes involved her dressing up as a whore to get what she wants, christ, like that doesn't reak of lowest common denominator filmaking... plus they have the fight scenes with the corny lines... ugh...

Brian Shannon 11-12-01 07:56 AM

The story is totally lost and I have lost interest.

das Monkey 11-12-01 09:50 AM

I have no idea why I've watched every episode of this show. It was never good ... seriously. It had some potential and some decent ideas, but it never did anything original and never made me think seriously about anything on the show. The characters were somewhat interesting, and Jessica Alba is hot, but there was never any substance. The take their best villain and turn him into a good guy. Then they take the villain that's supposed to be worse than who we thought was the big villain and kill her almost as quickly as she magically appeared? Now the show's some silly monster show. I don't know what the hell this show is supposed to be other than a waste of my time. I still have yet to miss an episode since it's now unopposed by anything good ... I may have to force myself to not watch anything during that timeslot next week in the hope of not continuing with this trash and retaining some brain cells from week to week.

das

cliffzig 11-12-01 10:55 AM

I'll continue to watch, thanks to Tivo. Although I am not happy with the way the story is developing, Alba is still nice to look at.

bmello 11-12-01 11:59 AM

2 weeks ago my wife asked why I was still watching this and I said you know you're right this crap is getting terrible. Its starting to look like a bad soap opera. Even hot Jessica can't offset the god awful looking creatures on the show now. This show is already expensive to produce and the Friday Night move is its death sentence!

Jackskeleton 11-12-01 04:44 PM

stopped after watching middle of the first one. never appealed to me and it lacked in story greatly. :p

BizRodian 11-12-01 05:53 PM

What are it's ratings like?

Sparrow 11-14-01 03:41 PM

It's getting a bit hard to watch these days. The Halloween episode almost made me stop watching, but I still think the show is OK, not good (never really was, but appealing enough to get an hour of my time).

The season premiere was great and I can't figure out why they need all the
Spoiler:
Manticore experiments
around. Where is this going, but then again, everyone posting here is or has tuned this show out.

JNielsen 11-14-01 05:54 PM

Tivo Season Pass......deleted. The "Dream" episode was the one that made my mind up. Like others have said, no direction. I wouldn't be surprised if Max stands on the top of the needle one of these weeks and screems "I'm the king of the world".

Giantrobo 11-14-01 06:12 PM

I just love using the word "suck" in relation to Jessica Alba....

HotThang 11-14-01 10:30 PM

Methinks I am right behind you JNielsen. Tivo season pass - deleted!

Blake 11-15-01 01:44 AM

Ditto...was good at the start, but started to lose attention about 2/3rds of the way through the 1st season and I don't watch at all any more....good eye candy though :)

das Monkey 11-15-01 07:41 AM

I'm the wrong one to comment on this show, since I was never of the belief that it was any good. I watched it every week, but it never showed me anything special.

Anyway, I finally saw a preview for this week's episode ... if this one doesn't drive away even the hardcore fan, I'll be surprised.

das

Patman 11-15-01 09:31 AM

Sigh, I even have last week's Dark Angel on tape, but haven't made the time to watch it. For some reason, I've also just about given up any hope for this show, and I have to say it's probably because the characters are just treading water, and they just aren't all that interesting, nor do they truly relate like real people (for the most part) anymore. Maybe there's too many ancilliary characters in the mix right now. They need to get back to finding out what makes the core characters tick, and write stories that develop them, rather than just react to the monster-of-the-week riff.

If I do find some time, I'll try to slug though last week's episode, and catch up with tomorrow nights episode, but if there's no improvement, I think I've just freed up one hour on the Friday night recording schedule.

Jepthah 11-15-01 11:02 AM

The show was never any good to begin with. It's a bunch of warmed-over cyberpunk pablum. And I never understood the fascination with Ms. Alba, especially when she has exactly two acting modes: pout and angry pout.

KrazyKal99 11-15-01 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
And I never understood the fascination with Ms. Alba, especially when she has exactly two acting modes: pout and angry pout.
I'm fairly sure that the "fascination" with Jessica Alba has nothing to do with her acting.

Originally posted by Blake
good eye candy though

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I just love using the word "suck" in relation to Jessica Alba....
Yup...now I'm completely sure. :)

Kal

nemein 11-16-01 10:07 PM

Yep... tonight I made the switch on the VCR to Iron Chef instead. I just can't see myself going back to DA either.