Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sun 11/11 8 EST - ABC presents "Saving Private Ryan" Unedited... oh boy?!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-07-01, 08:42 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

It this smart?

The ain't editing this at all... and they are gonna show the first 20 minutes during Prime Time?

How many kids are gonna see this without their parents knowing?

I was hoping for an edited version... for parents to show their children...
Old 11-07-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I've seen lots of blood and bodies on the news
true I didn't see the blood spray out of a wound, but I don't see this as being a big deal. I find the use of the word ass*ole on NYPD blue to be a bigger issue (althought it doesn't really bother me), as I always considered a-hole to be one of the worst swear words after F***
Old 11-07-01, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sun 11/11 8 EST - ABC presents "Saving Private Ryan" Unedited... oh boy?!

Originally posted by Goldberg74
It this smart?

The ain't editing this at all... and they are gonna show the first 20 minutes during Prime Time?

How many kids are gonna see this without their parents knowing?

I was hoping for an edited version... for parents to show their children...
ok, i am not trying to be a jerk or anything when i say this but, why would you want an edited version? IMO, that defeats the entire purpose of showing the film. now, i understand about the possibility of children watching it during prime time, but if some older kids want to watch it then let them with the parents talking to them about it ahead of time so they know that this will not be like any movie violence they have ever seen. it's graphic, horrible, and very VERY disturbing. guess what, so is war.

[/begin rant]as for the younger kids, be a parent and set some ground rules. when i was a kid, i didn't dare disobey my parents when they said i couldn't watch something or do something because i would suffer the consequences. why can't parents today do the same thing? the excuse that kids are going to see it anyway is bogus. [/end rant.]
Old 11-08-01, 02:08 PM
Banned

Now; by unedited are we talking 1.85:1 widescreen too?

I mean...since its not 2.35:1 you wont lose as much...but still; edited is edited.

So which is it?!??! wide or chopped?
Old 11-08-01, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Based on the previews (of which I've only seen one), I'd expect chopped. To me, that is edited... well, at least to an extent when we're talking about network tv. It's great to see this (like Schindler's List a few years back)... I won't be watching (hell, why would those of us with the DVD watch it? - and who here doesn't have the DVD?), but it's still great to see. This is one of those films that would be absolutely atrocious to edit.

By the way - this and more was discussed here recently - http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...saving+private
Old 11-08-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why does SPR get special treatment? *ALL* films that contain violence and/or swearing have it for SOME artistic reason. It's stupid that SPR doesn't apply to FCC guidelines when other things do.
Old 11-08-01, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just wondering.. do any non-Spielberg, non-WWII atrocities films get the same perk of getting aired on network TV unedited?
Old 11-08-01, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Tesiae
Just wondering.. do any non-Spielberg, non-WWII atrocities films get the same perk of getting aired on network TV unedited?
I remember The Deer Hunter was aired uncut a few years ago, but it's a "war" film, so I guess it's considered important enough to warrant special treatment.
Old 11-09-01, 01:43 AM

Spielberg's the name....
Old 11-10-01, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
Originally posted by tor_greg
Why does SPR get special treatment? *ALL* films that contain violence and/or swearing have it for SOME artistic reason. It's stupid that SPR doesn't apply to FCC guidelines when other things do.
so what are the guidelines exactly. why is it okay to show boobs as long as it is in a WWII setting ie schindler's list and the made for tv movie uprising? there are many other films...ok a few other films that show boobs in a more tasteful manner.