Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Please inundate UPN50 Chicago with hate mail RE: the crap broadcast of Buffy tonight

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Please inundate UPN50 Chicago with hate mail RE: the crap broadcast of Buffy tonight

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chicago Buffy-fans, please inundate the UPN 50 station with voice mail and email expressing your anger at the piss-poor broadcast of Buffy "Once More With Feeling" episode. We need to demand a re-peat showing - WITH ALL THE EXTRA FOOTAGE - as soon as possible.

Literally every 5 to 10 minutes the screen would pixelate badly, freeze, go completely pitch black and the audio would cut out. Almost literally half of the dialogue was chopped to bits. This wasn't due to my cable company - as I checked the show on a portable television not hooked to cable and the same reception problems were noted there too.

This has been happening fairly regularly with Buffy and Enterprise this season. You'd think that since these are the tentpole shows of the UPN schedule that they'd have the decency to insure the quality of the broadcast - but then, when has a television affiliate ever given much thought to pleasing their audience?

I can't seem to locate a website to express my displeasure at the garbled broadcast tonight. But WPWR's home office number is as follows: (773) 276-5050.

Of course, no one is answering the phones tonight. But come tomorrow morning at 8:30 a.m., when the office opens, I truly hope some of you disgruntled Buffy fans will join me in giving the station a piece of our mind.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR.
Old 11-07-01, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

They don't seem to be listen on www.paramountstations.com so it's very likely they don't have a website.

das
Old 11-07-01, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're telling me NO ONE else from Chicago had trouble with the broadcast?

Puh-lease.

I called the station this morning -- and as I feared, they directed me to the repeat of the episode on the 16th. The hour-long version only - not the extended "cut."

The woman on the phone sounded fairly weary - as if she'd been fending off irate UPN watchers most of the morning.

I noted that there had been problems this entire season with both "Buffy" and "Enterprise" and she stated that the station was aware of the glitches and was looking into repairing the satellite feed.

Please call UPN50 if you haven't already.
Old 11-07-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts
I called and they told me to watch Nov 16, but it will be the short version. I asked about a repeat, saying even a broadcast late at nite where we could set our VCRs would help and he said they would look into the problem.

I'm just going to try to download it, any suggestions?
Old 11-07-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by milo bloom
I called and they told me to watch Nov 16, but it will be the short version. I asked about a repeat, saying even a broadcast late at nite where we could set our VCRs would help and he said they would look into the problem.

I'm just going to try to download it, any suggestions?
Well, alt.binaries.multimedia will have it for sure. It'll be huge, but they'll have it.

Considering the momentous occasion, I'll see if I can encode a small DIVX version for those who just want to see the content. UPN's sitting on one of the best shows in television history, and they can't get their heads out of their asses long enough to get it to the viewers. Most annoying.

das
Old 11-07-01, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have AT&T Cable, cause that coul have been the culprit. I switched over during commercials of Gilmore Girls and did some of what you mentioned.

I mention this because it was also happening during Gilmore Girls, so if you have AT&T, that may be more likely a scenario.
Old 11-07-01, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have ATT digital and have no problems with this station.
Old 11-08-01, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
From today's Sun Times

* WPWR-Channel 50 officials are investigating why Tuesday's special musical episode of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was plagued by lengthy blackouts and technical glitches. The problem appears to have been caused by interference with the program's live satellite transmission.

Channel 50 will rerun the episode at 7 p.m. on Nov. 16.
Old 11-08-01, 02:36 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I called my local UPN station and demanded that they pay for all the windows that were shattered everytime one of the cast members attempted a high note.