Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy The Musical 11/06/01 - are you psyched?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy The Musical 11/06/01 - are you psyched?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Slumbering Fist
My guess... Most likey- Tara's song to Willow, or Anya and Xanders song and dance...combined with a little editing to Dawn's dance number, because those three are the most superfulous to the actual story.

I'll vote against Tara/Willow ... very important song considering the double-meaning in the reprise. I'd vote for chopping up Xander/Anya and killing Dawn's dance number.

Also, on a very disheartening note, Buffy The Musical severely underpreformed in the ratings. With all the push and hype and advertising up the wazoo, they didnt pull in may new converts, just kept basically the same veiwers (and couldnt beat Gilmore Girls for Petes sake!). UPN is most likely going to rethink making a big deal over such niche episodes in the future, because it just didnt pull many new people in, lost advertising $money$. In other words, why I hate hype. Just let Buffy be Buffy and pull in newbies through the reruns and the DVD market.

I've never understood this. The show's in its 6th season for God's sake. How many "new" viewers are they going to find? The new viewers will come from FX (which is why cross-promotion makes sense) not some musical. The musical was complete and total genius, but not from the perspective of a newbie. UPN refuses to accept their place in the world. They're not going to attract large numbers of viewers. They sliced up Voyager, and it brought some viewers for a while, but they eventually left along with those who felt sh!t on by too many boobies and wrestlers on their show. Stick with what they've got. They have one of the most intelligent shows ever on television and a sizeable loyal fan base. Stop trying to get MORE viewers and exploit the ones you have.

das
Old 11-09-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
They're not going to attract large numbers of viewers.
And, speaking for myself, they have the potential to alienate those who have been in it from the beginning. I fully expected every time I took a leak there would be a damn_promo for The Buffy friggin Musical when I flush!

'Nuther interesting thing: some of you folks get 2nd airings of Buffy, a la Enterprise. Not so in L.A. (unless it's in the wee hours). And no Dish/DirecTV here, either, at least not yet. If UPN wants to be a network, maybe they should start acting like one?

But, L.A.'s just a small market...

JMO, of course.
Old 11-09-01, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
And, speaking for myself, they have the potential to alienate those who have been in it from the beginning. I fully expected every time I took a leak there would be a damn_promo for The Buffy friggin Musical when I flush!

Between 'Buffy Lives!', 'Buffy: The Musical', and the savior of all mankind ... '24' ... I'm promo'd out.

If UPN wants to be a network, maybe they should start acting like one?

Couldn't have said it better.

das
Old 11-09-01, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Tara song for Willow

Funny, Kazaa seems to have all the songs (even the song the woman sings about her parking ticket) but not the Tara song for Willow.

According to the lyrics site...it's called Under Your Spell
Old 11-09-01, 06:00 PM

Can someone email me a list of all 20 song titles? I think there were anyway. I looked at the Buffy UPN site but they're not listed.
Old 11-09-01, 11:00 PM
Cool New Member

I know this is probably a stupid question (as most of mine are...LOL), but where did the name "Scoobies" come from? I can't remember a time when they didn't refer to themselves as "the Scoobies", but I have no earthly idea WHY. Thanks.

Kal
Old 11-10-01, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by KrazyKal99
I know this is probably a stupid question (as most of mine are...LOL), but where did the name "Scoobies" come from? I can't remember a time when they didn't refer to themselves as "the Scoobies", but I have no earthly idea WHY. Thanks.

Kal
If I'm not mistaken Xander said it way back in the 1st season, not sure of the episode. I could be wrong though.
Old 11-10-01, 02:08 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Kinda ironic, since SMG is going to be a 'Scooby' shortly.

Here's the list of titles btw - I was able to find all but one (the mustard bit) on kazaa - real bad quality though.

1 - New Intro
2 - Overture
3 - Going through the motions
4 - I've got a theory
5 - Got the mustard out (?)
6 - Tara's song (I'm under your spell)
7 - I'll never tell
8 - No parking
9 - Rest in peace
10 - Dawn's Lament
11 - Sweet's Lair
12 - Sweet's song
13 - Standing in the way
14 - Wish I could stay
15 - Giles' song (there's also a henchman's song labeled as 15 but its just the dialogue when you expect a song)
16 - Drawn to the fire
17 - Life's a show
18 - Sweet's song (reprise)
19 - Where do we go from here?
20 - End credits
Old 11-10-01, 02:41 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MrN

Here's the list of titles btw - I was able to find all but one (the mustard bit) on kazaa - real bad quality though.

Thanks, MrN!--Much appreciated
Old 11-10-01, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have found all of the songs except for #15 (got the henchman one though). Are you sure this is correct? I thought Giles' song was #13 (Standing in the Way - He sang this as Buffy was training). Did he have another song? I accidentally erased the episode! Luckily it is on again next friday although pared down to an hour. Any help? Thanks guys!
Old 11-10-01, 11:02 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by HotThang
I have found all of the songs except for #15 (got the henchman one though). Are you sure this is correct? I thought Giles' song was #13 (Standing in the Way - He sang this as Buffy was training). Did he have another song? I accidentally erased the episode! Luckily it is on again next friday although pared down to an hour. Any help? Thanks guys!

The other 'Giles' Song' has him asking Willow to do some research and Xander not to bleed on the couch.
I think this might actually follow the Mustard song (#5) - damn, wish I had taped this!
Old 11-10-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by KrazyKal99

Kal
Yeah, It was just an offhand comment by one of the characters that stuck. Same way, in one episode Spike calls himslelf "The Big Bad", and fans started referring to every seasons main villain as The Big Bad (season one-The Master, two- Spike/Angelous/Drusilla, three- the mayor, four- Adam, five- Glory, six- ???) However, wether these labels were started by the fans or the creators behind the scenes, I dont know, but it became a universal way to refer to them.
Old 11-10-01, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by MrN

The other 'Giles' Song' has him asking Willow to do some research and Xander not to bleed on the couch.
I think this might actually follow the Mustard song (#5) - damn, wish I had taped this!
The "Giles Song" is from a completely different episode. I think it is the one where they all start having these weird dreams. In Giles' dream he is singing on stage.
Old 11-11-01, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well, in syndication they edit out the following...

*The end of the I've Got a Theory number. Missing the best joke (about midgets), and Buffy rallying the crew to fight (which would come into play later with Giles halfway attempting to make Buffy go out on her own).
*Most of Dawns dance number.
*Some of Buffy's dance number in the Lifes a Show bit. (I'm not 100% sure though, because I had to yell at the neighbor for using his leaf blower at 9:00 at night).

I'm pretty sure thats it, doesnt seem like six mins, but the other numbers seemd in tact, thats all I noticed that was absent.
Old 11-11-01, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffy the Musical songs can be found here in 192bps. Very good quality:

http://www.psyche.kn-bremen.de/musical.html
Old 11-12-01, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think elektra took some time off. That's understandable ... sometimes the politics around here get too unbearable ... I had to leave for 6 months or so once just to clear my head.

No clue on the princess ... I miss them.

das
Aww - you guys missed me! I feel so loved. Simple reason for me not chiming in sooner - I hadn't watched the episode yet. I tape all shows and watch later (as I've mentioned before) and I'm about 4-5 days behind in most shows - Buffy's the toughest because I have no time to watch them twice and my boyfriend watches them with me, so I don't watch them until he has time. But since FX has just about caught up with when he started watching Buffy originally, I'll get to watch them sooner.

I just watched the musical episode - and I LOVED it. Of course, I'm a huge fan of musicals to start with, and singing ability doesn't mean that much to me, so I'm inclined to like it from the getgo. I love how musicals use songs to drive plots along, but also use the greek chorus device, in addition to the "internal monologue" device where no one hears what you say but you and the audience. These are common musical devices, so even though the audience is clued in on all of the songs, other characters are or aren't, depending on the specific song and the director's intent.

And I got what I expected from this musical episode - the secrets out. This was really similar to a Xena musical episode where Xena and Gabrielle finally worked out their issues (Gabrielle's lies leading to Xena's son's death). Of course with Buffy instead of working through issues they were just brought out in the open, but hopefully you get my point. Just when I start to get worn out by the angst, great writers/directors find a way to move forward in a way that doesn't cheat the audience, and at the same time gives us some kick-a$$ songs and even the occasional dance number. Definitely a keeper episode, and I'm horrified that they'd cut some of the songs for syndication. If anything, I think Willow needed a number to get her dark magic secret out there- but then she hasn't admitted it to herself yet, so it makes sense that she'd fail to sing about it. Though Buffy worked through things out loud, she's the protagonist and Willow is "just" a supporting player, so it makes sense that that specific device is used only for the heroine.

As to the songs themselves, I loved the Anya/bunny/midgets bit - I was laughing so hysterically I had to rewind the tape. I also really liked Giles' voice and Buffy's song to the gang at the end.

As to the Buffy/Spike angle - well, I'm a romantic. I also started watching as Spike got 'neutered' so he was already "good" - I didn't see the evil he did. I also didn't have that Buffy/Angel are meant to be thing ingrained, because I didn't see it - add that to the fact that I always love the bad boy (e.g. Ares in Xena ) and you get me wanting them to end up together for at least a year now. Of course now I'm watching them on FX and I LOVED Angel and Buffy together, then I was/am heartbroken over Angel, and hate Spike...very very very hard for me to go from hating him in the old eps to loving him in the current eps. Quite irksome to have my feelings messed with like that!

One last thing for now - Giles/Anya - WHAT on earth was that?!?!? I'm all traumatized. At first I had looked away so when I looked back I thought he was kissing BUFFY - which made me literally scream out loud in revulsion. So I rewound it after making my boyfriend come into the room to "see what I think I just saw" (he hates musicals, so I yelled a play by play into the other room of the actual plot of the episode - but I made him watch the bunny song - I told him what he was missing but he's stubborn-boy) - anyway, he came in and I played it again and realized it was Anya - still not good by any stretch of the imagination but not as yuck-inducing as if it were Buffy.

All in all a fun-filled evening!

And thanks Patman and das - it really is nice to be missed.

Last edited by WarriorPrincess; 11-12-01 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-12-01, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot

If I'm not mistaken Xander said it way back in the 1st season, not sure of the episode. I could be wrong though.
It was either Xander or Willow - and it was a reference to how the Scooby Doo gang always solved mysteries (just in case anyone didn't watch the old cartoon - one of my absolute all-time favorites ) and from then on they referred to themselves as the scoobies or scooby gang periodically. Just one of the many things I love about this show - pop culture references. Warms my tv-lovin' heart.
Old 11-12-01, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by WarriorPrincess If anything, I think Willow needed a number to get her dark magic secret out there- but then she hasn't admitted it to herself yet, so it makes sense that she'd fail to sing about it.
Everyone has been expecting Willow to go evil some time this season (myself included) and I got to thinking that if it is that obvious to everyone, it's probably not going to happen.

Something may happen, along the lines of addiction treatment and intervention with her and her magic, but I'm now betting she will not become 'Dark Willow' as that's becoming the obvious path. Possession is still open for consideration though.
Old 11-12-01, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by renaldow

Everyone has been expecting Willow to go evil some time this season (myself included) and I got to thinking that if it is that obvious to everyone, it's probably not going to happen.

Something may happen, along the lines of addiction treatment and intervention with her and her magic, but I'm now betting she will not become 'Dark Willow' as that's becoming the obvious path. Possession is still open for consideration though.
I'm not in favor of possession and will feel very cheated if they take the story that way. Willow ... not a demon, not the magic ... Willow is consumed with her power. Just like anyone who can do something no one else can, she's blinded by her abilities. And I like your use of the term "addiction" - it's just that. She's become addicted to power.

One of the greatest story-telling devices is to tell the audience exactly what is going to happen and then engage them totally in the journey to that point. 'Babylon 5' is one of the best examples of this. We often knew exactly what was going to happen, but arriving at that point was some of the most interesting story-telling imaginable.

This Willow thing's been building since season 2 when she first started playing around with magic. Her character has evolved so wonderfully through all of this from the shy girl who was just mildly interested in magic. I would feel very cheated if we didn't get the pay-off on this. Something really bad needs to happen. That could involve her going "Dark", or it could involve her really screwing up and having to face that reality, but she'll need to experience serious first hand loss because of her actions. Hopefully, there'll be some Buffy vs. Willow action before that time.

das
Old 11-12-01, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm so glad I taped/archived Buffy the Musical after hearing the cuts that were done to the syndicated versions of the show.

PW, glad you're with us, albeit a day late and a dollar short.

The FX Buffys (3rd season) just rock, so I'm also caught in that discovering the basis of the foundation of the characters' relationships while getting to see where they end up 3 seasons later. And the journeys are just as interesting as the outcome.
Old 11-12-01, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That could involve her going "Dark", or it could involve her really screwing up and having to face that reality, but she'll need to experience serious first hand loss because of her actions. Hopefully, there'll be some Buffy vs. Willow action before that time.

das
If there is a big conflict of some sort, I'm betting it will cause Tara to leave the show. She will either be killed, or she will put down Willow at the end and then take off.
Old 11-12-01, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If there is a big conflict of some sort, I'm betting it will cause Tara to leave the show. She will either be killed, or she will put down Willow at the end and then take off.
I've been hoping for that. I actually thought that's where they were going last season, but the whole Glory thing got in the way. I'd love to see Willow accidentally kill Tara with too much magic and have strength to realize that she shouldn't use magic to bring her back. Some glorious death scene with Tara in Willow's arms ... "don't bring me back ... I know you're strong enough to let me die ... I love you ... aaaaggghhh [twitch twitch] aaaaggghhh" with the music to I'm under your spell playing in the background. (See, this is why I don't write for a television show )

das
Old 11-12-01, 12:52 PM
Cool New Member

See, this is why I don't write for a television show

Well you should! That was awesome...I caught myself laughing and at the same time sitting here in awe of your imaginary scenario. Kick ass das. Very powerful...

Kal
Old 11-12-01, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd love to see Willow accidentally kill Tara with too much magic and have strength to realize that she shouldn't use magic to bring her back. Some glorious death scene with Tara in Willow's arms ... "don't bring me back ... I know you're strong enough to let me die ... I love you ... aaaaggghhh [twitch twitch] aaaaggghhh" with the music to I'm under your spell playing in the background. (See, this is why I don't write for a television show )
That scene might work during daytime TV, don't give up hope! As much as she should die in a scenario like that, I have a feeling that she won't. She'll just leave. Everyone else just leaves even if they should die, and I'd guess they'd have her leave to keep something going for the future if they ever decide to go that way.

She'll be hanging out with Oz, Riley, and Faith.
Old 11-12-01, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She'll be hanging out with Oz, Riley, and Faith.
I think she'd get along better with
Spoiler:
Miss Calendar, Professor Walsh, Kendra, and Doyle

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.