TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy on FX

Old 11-15-01, 10:58 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by das Monkey

Not that it's very important, but I think he said it was a muscle relaxant.

das

possibly he said both?
Old 11-15-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm going to have to re-watch that episode and let you both know!
Old 11-15-01, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrN
possibly he said both?
Could be. I don't really know. Don't really care either ... just trying to answer the question.

das
Old 11-15-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I turn my back for a bit and Das is kissing other people and forgetting Buffy facts. (sigh)

Combination of organic adrenal suppressants and muscle relaxers, if I'm not mistaken. If I am, Das will enjoy pointing this out to me.

Faith is one of the more interesting characters. She did walk a fine line between good and bad, right and wrong. I hope we see her again.

Last night and the second ep tonight and the rest of the third season is going to get reaaaallly interesting.
Old 11-15-01, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by elektra
I turn my back for a bit and Das is kissing other people ...
Did I get drunk and kiss someone? See what happens when you leave me? My world is in shambles.

das
Old 11-15-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Das - naughty kitten, bad!

So, is it me, or did Revalations give a whole new meaning to the term Cat Fight?
Old 11-15-01, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Elektra lives! (I always wanted to post that).

FX Buffy 11/14/01

I went home during lunch to watch both episodes of yesterday's FX Buffy's. There's nothing sweeter than watching Buffy on company time.

I guessing the first one was called "Bad Girls" where Faith and Buffy go around being Bad Girls, and Faith ends up slaying the assistant mayor in a hasty stab. While I knew that Buffy wouldn't/couldn't keep up with Faith's idea of morality, it was fun to see Buffy let her hair down. Angel must have been tempted when Buffy was in her naughty phase at the dance club.

And finally I get to see how Wesley was introduced into the Buffy-verse. I can't believe Wesley started out as Buffy's replacement watcher! That just killed me. (Though once I spotted Alexis Denisof's name in the guest credit at the start of the show, I knew it had to be him). The reaction of both Buffy and Giles to Wesley was really funny stuff. And then seeing Wesley have the hots for Cordy was also pretty funny considering where they are now in "Angel". I just had no idea, but hearing about both Giles and Wesley's penchant for "inexpensive blondes" might explain their libido in some manner. Also funny to see how far Wesley has progressed in his slayage because he was basically useless in the fight against that big blob dude. The mayor undergoes an invincibility ritual, and becomes "invincible" for the next 100 days until his "ascension".

All in all a fun episode until the end.

I'm also guessing the next episode is called "Consequences" where Buffy tries to convince Faith that she needs to turn herself in and take responsibility for her actions (killing the assistance mayor). Faith actually goes to Giles trying to put the blame on Buffy, but Giles sees through Faith's lies. In trying to come up with a plan to deal with Faith, Xander confesses that he and Faith hooked up, Willow got the hints way before Giles and Buffy did (their reactions to the news were also funny). Willow is absolutely crushed that Xander had cheap floozie sex with Faith, and cries alone in the girl's bathroom at school.

Xander tries to talk some sense into Faith, but Faith plays sexual politics, and is straddling Xander on the bed in the midst of strangling Xander before Angel shows up and knocks her out with a baseball bat. Faith gets locked up at Angel's place, but Wesley comes barging in (with helpers knocking out Angel and netting him up) and reclaims Faith, but Faith later escapes from the van taking her back to the airport (towards England). Buffy finds Faith at the shipping docks, but they get attacked by Mr. Trick and company because earlier Buffy and Faith were digging around in the mayor's offices, and the Mayor found out that Buffy and Faith know about his affiliation with Mr. Trick, so the girl had to be taken out by Mr. Trick. The girls battle the vamps with Mr. Trick, Buffy is almost strangled by Mr. Trick, but Faith stakes him, rather than letting Buffy die.
So Giles and Buffy talk in his office, and discuss how Faith will have to pay for her actions, but Buffy is optimistic. The next thing you see is Faith at the Mayor's office, and offering her services to the Mayor since Mr. Trick has been de-commissioned. Fade to credits.

Damn, the twists and turns in season three are totally riveting TV. Can't wait for tonight's shows.
Old 11-15-01, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I gotta say is vampireWillow is an awesome character!

I think tonights two edisodes were great. Dopplegangland had some great comedy...actually made me laugh out loud.
Old 11-15-01, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patman - Look over there - it's Scully!!!!!

Dopplegangland is pretty amusing. I love the "Bored now." I also like Anya at the bar, "I'm 1120 years old. Give me a f*cking beer."
Old 11-15-01, 10:27 PM
MrN

Great foreshadowing btw about the evil willow being gay and when Buffy tries to explain it away, Angel interjects but thinks better of it.

I was literally and realized that this might make me look insane.
Old 11-15-01, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do you new viewers now realise why I'm so disapointed with seasons 4 and 5? these old episodes were so damn good...
Old 11-15-01, 11:20 PM
Cool New Member

BizRodian - if you think that the first three seasons were so much better than Season 4 and Season 5, then I'm really in for a treat. I started watching the show about halfway through Season 4 and thought that it was awesome...

I've been taping all the syndicated episodes on FX, but I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet. I intend to sit down and go through all of them in order one of these years , and the more I hear everyone talk about them, the more excited I am. Better than seasons 4 & 5? They must really kick a$$.

Kal
Old 11-16-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It depends what you like. I just found the villians in Season 4 and 5 so stupid that I couldn't enjoy most of it. Adam was terrible and Glory wasn't much better.
Old 11-16-01, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

had to get to work at 6 a.m. this morning, and last night, around midnight, I started watching the taped episodes of the FX Buffy's, thinking if the 1st one interested me, I'd stay up and watch it. Big mistake! Almost 2 hours later, it was 2 a.m. and I know I'm going to pay for staying up so late. So I basically got 3 hours of sleep, but dammit, it was worth it!

"Dopplegangland" - Trying to get her amulet back, Anya convinces Willow to do a spell for her, but Willow gets the flashbacks/flashforwards of what transpired in "The Wish". The spell to restore the amulet didn't quite work, but the side-effect was bringing that Vampy-Willow into the current Buffy-verse. And what a stitch this whole episode was. It was sprinkled with great lines of humor. And from what I could recall, the meatiest foreshadowing of Willow's budding lesbianism (Angel tried to deflect the part about vampires acting like their former true selves only to a higher degree when they were discussing Vamp-Willow being gay). Allyson Hannigan did a great job with her dual roles. Giles got off some juicy zingers, as did Xander. And Wesley's stuffiness doesn't gain him anymore props. It's so funny to see Cordy throw herself at Wesley. Anya's being ID'd at the bar when she wanted a beer was also a nice throwaway bit.

To confuse the vamps at the Bronze, Willow suggest that she dresses up as the Vamp-Willow, and clothe her doppleganger in "reliable" Willow in the library cage. The funny part was having Cordy find the caged up Willow and wanting to talk about her stealing Xander from her and all that stuff on a one-on-one basis. "Willow" was pretty zonked out about having to hear all of Cordy ruminations on the subject (more funny stuff) while being stuck in the cage. Finally Cordy lets "Willow" out and Vamp-Willow comes out and chases Cordy all over the school until Wesley shows up with a cross and holy water to ward off Vamp-Willow. After some vamp-fighting at the Bronze, they perform a spell to send Vamp-Willow back to her own alternate universe, just in time to have that unverse's "Oz" throw her into a piece of wood which kills her and you can see Vamp-Willow mouth "Oh fu...." Poof! All in all, definitely enjoyed the Vamp-Willow side of Willow. Plus, having the Vamp-Willow scare the jock into doing his homework was a fitting ending to the episode.

"Enemies" - Buffy and Angel go see "Le Banquet de Amelie" (I think), which must have featured quite a bit of the "ol' in/out with food". This doesn't help their situation of having to stay basically as platonic friends with nothing more than 1st base action. Faith continues her slide to the dark side, becomes the Mayor's new main thug, and a mole inside the Scoobs. I couldn't believe all the twists-n-turns in this episode. The main plot centered around a demon that offers both slayers the books of ascension for 5 large. Willow figures out about the ascension from remembering that the sketchy details are in some books of magic that Giles didn't want Willow to be reading, much to the bemusement of both watchers. Faith manages to get to the demon's apartment first, kills him, and takes the books on the auspices of the Mayor. Taking care of his own, the mayor sets up Faith in a very sweet apartment, and it even comes with Playstation. Faith keeps the motel room to maintain appearances of her former living quarters for Buffy and the Scoobs. Xander finds the demon's address (via a bribe, and when Zander asks if the council reimburses bribes, Giles asked if Xander got a receipt for the bribe,a dn that's when Xander was probably thinking "curse, foiled again!") and gives it to Buffy and Faith, much to the surprise of both Giles and Wesley And Wesley dispatches the slayers to the apartment. The slayers find the demon dead with the books missing, so they go report back what they found. The backbiting between Giles and Wesley was entertaining.

The Mayor plots to rip Angel's soul out of him, and Faith is more than willing to help. The Mayor summons some shaman who, with Faith's help, performs a bit of black magic which rips the soul out of Angel and turns him back into Angelus. To celebrate their new union (from the common goal to kill Buffy), Faith and Angelus do the wild thing. On the way to Faith taking Angelus to meet the Mayor, they run into Xander, and without breaking stride, Angelus decks Xander to the sidewalk. It was a really funny short scene. Angelus meets with the Mayor, gets to throw a letter opener at the Mayor, who stops it with his hand, but the opener gets embedded in the hand, and the Mayor just calmly pulls it out, just to show Angelus that he can't be hurt ina conventional mortal way until the ascension. Then Faith and Angelus are dispatched to go after Buffy and ensure that Buffy as a long drawn out and painful death. They go to Buffy's home, intercept her as she's packing up weapons for the impending battle with the Mayor. Faith and Angelus knock out Buffy and chain her up at Angelus' place. Then as most baddies do, they gloat, and Buffy calls Faith out, telling her that she knows she's better than Faith, and basically goads Faith into killing her, but Faith decides to play it cool, and just enjoy the long drawn out torture process, and proclaims that she's the world's best actor (sure, a major sense of hyperbole on her part), and that's when Angelus says "second best actor" and Angelus pulls off his "Scoobie" mask and reveals himself to be really just Angel (I swear I heard a thought bubble coming out of Faith's head saying "zoiks!"), and that they set up Faith from the get-go (Giles was the one who got the shaman to do the fake magic of stealing Angel's soul as a pay-back for introducing the shaman to his wife). Buffy shakes off her "shackles" rather easily, and Faith is left with no options except to run away back toe Mayor.

So now Buffy and the Scoobs know that Faith is the bad seed of the bunch and will have to adjust their strategy accordingly if they are going to ward off the mayor's road to ascension. Angel was very sorry that he had to do the wild thing with Faith during the ruse, and Buffy understood, but it was quite painful for Buffy knowing Faith coerced casual sex from Angel and she knew that's the one thing that was closed to her and Angel. Wesley threatens to tell the council about what's going down, and Giles reminded him that Faith went rogue on Wesley's watch, and that wouldn't look good in the eyes of the council, so Wesley thinks twice about reporting the defection of Faith to the Mayor. And amazingly enough, the Mayor took the news of the set-up all in stride.

This was a really amazingly meaty episode, and while I wasn't quite buying the return of Angelus so easily, it made for (to quote Buffy) a nice "Psyche!" episode.

I take it that Angel remembers all of his Angelus mannerisms to be able to pull off the scam on Faith?
Old 11-16-01, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BizRodian - I've been watching since mid-season 2 and I think 3 is the strongest season overall, but I still liked seasons 4 and 5. If you're unhappy with the show, why do you still watch?

Patman - I have to rewatch enemies. I didn't think that Faith and Angel actually did the wild thing.
Old 11-16-01, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was implied by both scenes (when they cut away when Faith straddles him, and Buffy's talk with Angel at the end of the episode, something like "I know what you HAD to do.")
Old 11-16-01, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Patman - this has been a bone of contention among Buffy watchers for some time. Whether or not Faith and Angel had sex in this ep. I guess it just depends on how much you read into the "before and after" scenes. Personally, I don't think there's any WAY Angel would have had sex with Faith. He could have made up all sorts of "Angelus-y" reasons why.

"Sorry, I have to go kill a toddler, can't have sex now!"

See how easy that is?

X
Old 11-16-01, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn;t think they had sex either. However, they did kiss and paw each other passionately and I think that is what Buffy is referring to. I also think she is referring to just the evil involved of conjuring up Angelus, etc. It was very emotionally painful for her to see that, even though she knew it was a ruse.

My impression was they scuffled on the floor a bit, and she told him about the Mayor, and they went to see the Mayor. I don't think they even had time to do the wild thing since they were hatching their plot.

That episode was so great, such a mind f**k. I had to run it back and watch it again to pick up more clues. I noticed that Angel gives Buffy a look when he is chaining her up that I missed the first time.

My question is how did they arrange it that the Mayor summoned Giles magic friend? I would have liked a little more explanation about when they hatched the plot at the end.

Angel had some great lines as Angelus: "I always knew you'd like it on top!" and "All I want you to do right now is wriggle!". And when he punche dout Xander: "That guy always bugged me."
Old 11-16-01, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

See that's what I always got from it. They didn't have sex, but did get close and kiss and touch. She would have rubbed it in more if they had had sex.
Old 11-16-01, 11:15 AM

I had briefly considered that they both did have sex but discarded it quickly. It just didn't seem to fit with their overall plan. I'm surprised he turned into Angelus so quickly too--I thought he was faking actually to see what they were up to. I haven't seen the rest of the season yet though.

I love that FX is doing this in order, screw Fox and their weird system. This way on Tuesdays...Buffy three times a day and in a row. I'm addicted. FX even has better reception than UPN. Those boxed sets can't come out soon enough on dvd for me
Old 11-16-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

mots 2 - with you on the boxed sets thing. Heck the brits have season 3 by now and we haven't even gotten 1 yet!
Old 11-16-01, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by elektra
mots 2 - with you on the boxed sets thing. Heck the brits have season 3 by now and we haven't even gotten 1 yet!

I know it sucks to be us! I don't get it...is it because of all the syndication rights crap? That has no bearing on completionists, IMHO.
Old 11-16-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Wow, I in no way ever considered that Faith and Angel had sex. I think there is going undercover and going undercover. For one, just like last season (on Angel) with Angel boffing Darla, we didnt know for certain if it was just sexual pleasure that turned him, or actual love-with-sex. Anyway, in regards to Faith, I dont think at that point on the show he would have risked it. Buffy's reaction, to me, was just that it was hard to see (acting or not), the entire affair was hard, and the difficulties between her loving Angel were just compounding all the new problems she had to face (the mayor, Faith) so she wanted some space.

I just found the villians in Season 4 and 5 so stupid that I couldn't enjoy most of it.

Its the episodes themselves I pay attention to, not the arc of a villain. Sure, Spike, Dru, and Angelous may have been better villains than Adam, but season 4 as a whole, with its character development and stories was just as good as any Buffy season. For me, a weak villain doesnt automatically collapse the entire season. Hell, so far in Buffys latest season there really hasnt been an established main villain and its great; making me care less if theres a Big Bad at all, just keep up the good stories.
Old 11-16-01, 02:59 PM

I honestly never have a problem with any of their villains either by the end of the season. It all seems to fit together nicely. The characters have grown so well and are excellently written it becomes more of my focus.
Old 11-16-01, 04:27 PM
MrN

Originally posted by Jadzia

My question is how did they arrange it that the Mayor summoned Giles magic friend? I would have liked a little more explanation about when they hatched the plot at the end.

My guess is the Mayor summoned the guy who realized Giles was involved and so spilt the beans to Giles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.