Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

John Edward (Crossing Over), fraud or not? Watch with us 11/1

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John Edward (Crossing Over), fraud or not? Watch with us 11/1

There was a discussion about John Edward, some of which posed questions about whether or not he did a lot of "fishing”, among other things. Some of us are going to be watching/taping his show(s) tonight so we can compare notes. Wanna join us?
Old 11-01-01, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep in mind that this isn't just to decide whether we think he's a fraud: watching this show won't confirm or deny that. The idea here is to see if he really is getting everything from the audience members or if there is another source of data (microphones in the waiting room, pre-research, or perhaps something paranormal ). At least that's what I'll be watching for.

das
Old 11-01-01, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
...or if there is another source of data (microphones in the waiting room, pre-research, or perhaps something paranormal ). At least that's what I'll be watching for.

das
Just make sure that while you’re watching for shots of the hidden mics and cameras you don’t forget to watch the rest of the program.

Legal note: statements by das Monkey are presented for entertainment value only and are not to be interpreted as actual opinions, real or imagined, living or dead, and are void in the states of California, Georgia, New Mexico, or where prohibited by law.

Old 11-01-01, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
Just make sure that while you’re watching for shots of the hidden mics and cameras you don’t forget to watch the rest of the program.
I intend to look for people with headsets hunched in the corner rifling through audience members' handbags.

Legal note: statements by das Monkey are presented for entertainment value only and are not to be interpreted as actual opinions, real or imagined, living or dead, and are void in the states of California, Georgia, New Mexico, or where prohibited by law.
Miss Cleo, you hit it on the head!

"I am not stalking das Monkey. But I do want to have his child."
Get in line ...

das
Old 11-01-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Keep in mind that often shows of this type are heavily edited to remove 'misses'.

Also, try to note what he says compared to what he later claims to have said. For example, I've seen "pychics" before who say something like, "I sense something about pains around the chest or back." Then they get the response, "Yes, my husband died of lung cancer." Then later they'll claim to have 'known' that it was (1) the husband and (2) lung cancer, when all they actually said was 'pains around the chest or back' which would've been also been seen as a 'hit' with back problems, spinal injuries, heart problems or even a 'broken heart', and they personally never said who had the problem.

If you're interested in this sort of thing check out www.randi.org, or do a search for "cold reading" on a search engine. BTW, any guesses as to my thoughts on John Edward?
Old 11-01-01, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
A question for anyone who thinks John Edward is real.

What does the "Fi" in "SciFi Channel" mean?
Old 11-01-01, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Damfino

You must not have read my post. And to be argumentative, I feel quite certain that he's real. Otherwise, we're talking serious animatronics. We're not doing this to determine the validity of his "gift" but more as an exercise in how he does it. We discussed in depth the many methods he employs, but few of us watched the show enough times for specific examples. We kept saying, "he might say this, and then this might happen" and it was getting silly. It made more sense for us all to just watch the same episode for specific examples. There will always be skeptics and believers ... nothing anyone says will change that ... but the fact remains that he's quite talented, and some of us find that talent interesting. It's easy for me to sit back and say, "oh, he's just 'cold reading'" or "it's obvious he's a fraud" but without specific example, that's a pretty hollow statement.

My personal curiosity extends to the question of whether he's just 'cold reading' everyone on the spot or if there is likely another source of information. I haven't watched enough to form an intelligent answer ... which is what tonight is for.

das
Old 11-01-01, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
Yeah, well, the problem with this show being shown on the Sci-Fi newtwork is that it doesn't even fit with the theme.

If all they want is ratings, they appeared to achieve that. I really resent it because he's using this show as a way to promote his own sham private business. Sci-Fi network should be ashamed of themselves.
Old 11-01-01, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Damfino

It denotes a lower form of the SF genre, or something aimed more at a mass audience.

Gentle Reader may wonder why
Isn't SF the same as Sci-Fi?
There's a fine line
Between Heinlein
And The Son of the Two-Headed Fly.

Tscott, first I believe the show avoids editing as much as possible to give it the air of authenticity. But we shall see. And anybody familiar with Randi should easily guess your opinion, I think.

das, I’m tellin’ ya, it’s all generic statements and responding to those who react to them. Ain’t no trickery, hidden mics, private detectives… If you look for gimics, you’re wasting your time. But, as I said, we shall see, shan’t we?

Watch for misses and how he reacts to them. Maybe we’ll get real lucky tonight.
Old 11-01-01, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
Yeah, well, the problem with this show being shown on the Sci-Fi newtwork is that it doesn't even fit with the theme.
In the broadest sense, it does. (And just so you know, I understand your point.) But as a “reality” show, I agree it has no place on that channel.

It’s just that there’s no TWN* just yet.

*The Wacko Network.

OK. Which one of you called me “biased”??
Old 11-01-01, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
das, I’m tellin’ ya, it’s all generic statements and responding to those who react to them. Ain’t no trickery, hidden mics, private detectives… If you look for gimics, you’re wasting your time. But, as I said, we shall see, shan’t we?

You can tell me all you want, but until I watch an episode all the way through and actually think about it, I won't be able to agree or disagree. And I'm not "looking" for gimics. I'll be looking for the overall product. But for me to dismiss the possibility of gimics before actually watching doesn't seem very smart. I have to be open to all the possibilities, including the fact that he's channeling the dead, or my analysis will be biased.

And 'Son of the Two-Headed Fly' is a classic!!!

das
Old 11-01-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On the topic of Sci-Fi Channel showing craptacular programming, you have to remember that they have almost no budget. In order to bring us reruns of Babylon 5 and Crusade, produce incredible shows like Farscape and The Invisible Man, they have to sometimes dip into the well of tacky to pay the bills. It's like all the bands that have that one 'pop' song to get famous so people will actually listen to all their real music. Sci-Fi Channel has its problems, but no one else is offering an outlet for that type of intelligent programming, so I'm not complaining. At least they're trying.

das
Old 11-01-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So are you going to be watching just the first one, or both episodes tonight? I don't want to watch more than I have too if I do this. (I may have to tape it though- as I plan to kick some butt in Civ3 on my PC tonight.)
Old 11-01-01, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tscott
So are you going to be watching just the first one, or both episodes tonight? I don't want to watch more than I have too if I do this. (I may have to tape it though- as I plan to kick some butt in Civ3 on my PC tonight.)
I guess I'll watch them both, but with the Tech game and World Series Game 5, and the obligatory four hours of Buffy, Babylon 5, and Farscape, it's going to be a full evening for me. Thankfully, I'm completely indifferent to the repetitive gimic that is 'Must See TV'. A proposal? A celebrity love interest? All hell breaks loose in the emergency room? Shocking!

das
Old 11-01-01, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As for me, I'll be taping both. That's WAY past my bedtime.

BTW, in spite of obvious opinions both in this thread and the other, I can look at this with an open mind -- of sorts.
Old 11-01-01, 03:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
In the interest of science (and since I shot off my mouth quite a bit in the other thread), I'll make a concentrated effort to watch...even though (gasp) the show plays at the same time as "The Simpsons."
Old 11-01-01, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really didn't have time to read through the entire posts, but my good friend (and a comic book artist) went on a while ago and him and his family was instructed not to talk about anything inside the studio which could give any hints to John Edward. Upon watching the show (which Tivo recorded) and conversing with him and others who viewed the show, I can say John Edward didn't say anything too amazing that couldn't be figured out by normal research, except one thing. No one (believer or skeptic) that I knew could figure out how he knew one point. My friend did feel a lot better after going and I guess that's a good thing. I guess its like that X-Files episode where there is a real pychic and a fake TV one. I am not sure anyone can say with absolute certainity where John Edward lies, but I do know a lot of what he said was vague and it took him a couple tries to "hit it on the head."

P.S. Yes, the show is HEAVILY edited.
Old 11-01-01, 08:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Watched both shows, and they're pretty standard cold reading all the way. Edward gives very generic information, and lets the mark fill in the blanks. The most impressive reading was the last lady in the first episode...but I don't know how edited the reading was or what information she might have given Edward before the show.

I'll wait until more have seen the show to comment further.
Old 11-01-01, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How'd you get the Sci-Fi feed two hours before the east coast? It's not even showing there until, well, just about now?
Old 11-01-01, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I read about about the people who did this kind of thing and if I remember it's mainly observation and vagueness that are the biggest weapon, but the Vegas type pyschics also use plants in the audience. The editing of the show makes him look a lot more amazing than he really is and he probably doesn't need much help other than that.