Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Saving Private Ryan on ABC 11/11/01

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Saving Private Ryan on ABC 11/11/01

While watching Alias last night, I noticed that ABC will be showing "Saving Private Ryan" on 11/11/01 (I think 2 weeks from last night) uncut and in its entirety.

Does anyone think that the phone lines will light up at the local ABC stations when the first 30 minutes of footage is shown of the troops landing on Normandy's Omaha Beach, and the carnage that ensued?

I'm sure it'll trigger strong reactions by viewers when the film is shown.
Old 10-29-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
a couple of years ago one of the networks (I can't rember which) showed Schindler's List complete and uncut without commercial interruptions. They showed full frontal nudity, said the F-word several times and showed all the blood and guts that was originally in the film.

I think most people are smart enough to know that SPR is a violent realistic depiction of WWII and they will base that on whether they watch or not. This is a major part of American history, it would seem disrespectful to all the WWII vets if ABC were to edit out all the violence.

However, with that said I know there are a lot of groups out there who just live to complain about such things, and to them all I can say is Tough Sh!t If you don't want to see the reality of war turn off the TV.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 10-29-01 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-29-01, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like how they said something like "parental discretion STRONGLY advised." Don't think I've ever hear the "strongly" before.

das
Old 10-29-01, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I've seen just as much blood on the news before, and that was real not fiction
Old 10-29-01, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
a couple of years ago one of the networks (I can't rember which) showed Schindler's List complete and uncut without commercial interruptions. They showed full frontal nudity, said the F-word several times and showed all the blood and guts that was originally in the film.

I think most people are smart enough to know that SPR is a violent realistic depiction of WWII and they will base that on whether they watch or not. This is a major part of American history, it would seem disrespectful to all the WWII vets if ABC were to edit out all the violence.

However, with that said I know there are a lot of groups out there who just live to complain about such things, and to them all I can say is Tough Sh!t If you don't want to see the reality of war turn off the TV.
well said. i applaud abc for showing it unedited. if they edited out all the violence, then it would be pointless to show it. as for the people who will call and complain, get a life!
Old 10-30-01, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent news - I do hope it's shown in widescreen though - blah to them if they don't.

I was 13 or 14 when Schindler's List was shown unedited on NBC (I think NBC), and before I heard about this unedited airing, I had never been interested in seeing it (remember, I was in 8th grade)... but I sat down to watch it, strangely enough to my parent's encouragement (my mom was still very leery over me seeing most PG-13 films at the time - they don't get much more strict when it comes to movies than she ever was).

I think it was the first real film I ever cried during.

To see that they're doing the same thing with SPR (though it's certainly not on the level of Schindler's List, it's still one of those films you just can't imagine being edited - ack!) is great news... especially during this new war as well.
Old 10-30-01, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by JonTurner
Excellent news - I do hope it's shown in widescreen though - blah to them if they don't.
Fat chance of that happening.
Old 10-30-01, 08:16 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is, then for SURE you'll see the phone boards lighting up... "Hey, what the heck are these stupid black bars for? You're only broadcasting half a picture!"
Old 10-30-01, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
I think people can handle widescreen
ER, West Wing, and Enterprise among other shows all are shown in 16:9
Old 10-30-01, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I saw the title of this thread, and immediately thought of a MadTV sketch where they were doing The Sopranos: PAX TV version. It was a bunch of wildly disjointed scenes running for about four minutes, it was lol.

I had forgotten about Schindler's though, if they can get away with that, maybe SPR will be ok.

Which reminds me, I have an unwatched LD of SL collecting dust I need to gather up the courage to watch...
Old 11-08-01, 09:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
I recorded this when this was on NBC...

They did it in February of 1997... from 8-11 PM EST and it was edited.

In the scene where Ralph Fiennes is pickin' off the people in the yard with a woman in bed... when she sits up, they darkened the screen around her breasts.

All the frontal nudity was darkened too, accept for the people running in the yard, but that was a far shot and there is no real detail.

Since the show was in black and white... the blood looked like ink to me, and therefore didn't carry much of an impact. Plus the violence was not as harsh as some war movies.

But then again... when it aired it raised some ears...

Lawmaker Criticizes ``Schindler's List'' Airing Wednesday
February 26, 1997

WASHINGTON (Reuter)
- A Republican member of Congress Tuesday criticized NBC television's showing of the Holocaust movie ``Schindler's List,'' saying its airing during Sunday family time should outrage parents.

Rep. Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, was quoted in a release put out by his office as saying the airing of the highly acclaimed film took network television ``to an all-time low, with full frontal nudity, violence and profanity being shown in our homes.''

His criticism brought a response from Sen Alfonse D'Aamto, a New York Republican, who told the Senate Coburn's statement was ``shocking.''

``To equate the nudity of the Holocaust victims in the concentration camp with any sexual connotations is outrageous and offensive,'' D'Amato said.

``I just wonder if Congressman Coburn is aware that there was a Holocaust, that millions of people died and it's not something anybody should ever forget,'' NBC West Coast president Don Olhmeyer was quoted as saying in Variety, an entertainment industry trade paper.

``NBC is extremely proud of its presentation of this unique award-winning film,'' he said. ``We think that Congressman Coburn's statement should send a chill through every intelligent and fair-minded person in America.''

The broadcast was viewed by 65 million people, more than twice the number who saw it in movie threatres.

Coburn, co-chairman of the Congressional Family Caucus, said that while the film was given a rating for mature adult audiences, ``the fact that it aired on public television on a Sunday evening during a family time should outrage parents and decent-minded individuals everywhere.''

He added: ``I cringe when I realize that there were children all across this nation watching this program. They were exposed to the violence of multiple gunshot head wounds, vile language, full frontal nudity and irresponsible sexual activity.

``It simply should not have been allowed on public television.''

Coburn said the airing of the movie demonstrated that the new TV rating system ``only encourages more sex and violence.''

In contrast, Federal Communications Commission Chairman Reed Hundt, addressing the National Association of Broadcasters on Monday, said: ``NBC's uninterrupted broadcast of 'Schindler's List' last night showed us again the power and glory of broadcast TV.''
Old 11-09-01, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I find it ironic that a movie anyone under 18 would have been made to show an id before they could buy a ticket can now be turned on by anyone, any age.
Old 11-10-01, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ABC is going for the patriotic vote on this decision I believe. SPR is an extremely graphic film and I think its' Rated R. I remember people leaving the theater during the first 15 minutes of the film. Can you imagine the family that actually makes it through the film until they get to the stabbing scene? I am 28 years old and I have a hard time watching that scene.
Old 11-11-01, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope they show it in DTS 5.1.

The movie, sound and picture was great for the DVD. But I dont understand besides trying to get ratings, to show this. They usually show family shows. I wonder how the kids reactions will be when then see it.
Old 11-11-01, 01:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Anthony Soprano
ABC is going for the patriotic vote on this decision I believe. SPR is an extremely graphic film and I think its' Rated R. I remember people leaving the theater during the first 15 minutes of the film. Can you imagine the family that actually makes it through the film until they get to the stabbing scene? I am 28 years old and I have a hard time watching that scene.

I'm almost 30 and I cannot watch the first 20 minutes! Thank Goodness I can just skip past it with the DVD! I wonder how people who have not seen this movie will react? Turn off the TV or change the channel?I only hope it's shown in widescreen instead of pan/scan!
Old 11-11-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

this film contains extreme depictions of WW2 violence and intense language. it has not been edited for content. adult supervision is highly recommended

disney president is giving a speach about how kids shouldn't watch

gotta love that
But it's full screen
WTF
enough stuff is widescreen on tv now that they should have done it in widescreen
bastards
Old 11-11-01, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pan and freakin Scam!! Oh well... I'll just watch the first few minutes just cuz it'll be weird seeing this r-rated stuff on network tv.
Old 11-11-01, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

[email protected]

let's give them hell

Dear ABC,
While I am glad ABC chose to air Saving Private Ryan with out editing it for content, I am disappointed that it was shown in full screen, or pan and scan. I realize when many people see the black bars of widescreen they think their tv is broken, but an explanation could have been given at the beginning. Many primetime series are currently shown in widescreen including The West Wing and ER on NBC, and Enterprise on UPN. NBC also recently aired Uprising in widescreen. It would have been nice of ABC could have done the same for Saving Private Ryan. It deserves to be shown in widescreen.
Thank you for your time.

Last edited by mikehunt; 11-11-01 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-11-01, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Message sent - from 2 of my email addresses
Old 11-11-01, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
It was probably more important for SPR to be sans letterboxing so it would be the most accessible for all viewers...not just the cinephiles. I'm not too sure if some WWII vets who experienced the same trauma as in SPR would really care for letterboxing. It would probably be too distracting.
Old 11-11-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Eplicon
It was probably more important for SPR to be sans letterboxing so it would be the most accessible for all viewers...not just the cinephiles. I'm not too sure if some WWII vets who experienced the same trauma as in SPR would really care for letterboxing. It would probably be too distracting.
Too "distracting"?? It's was too distracting for me to even watch knowing that I'm missing part of the picture!

Oh well... to me, it just seems like we missed a great opportunity to educate the masses (in the opening speech) on the importance of OAR, but to each his own.
Old 11-11-01, 07:45 PM
RaZorBlade

I'm surprised they didn't edit out any of the language! The guy said "Son of a b*tch! Son of a f*cking c*cksucker!" on national TV!

I wonder how parents will explain what a 'c*cksucker' is to their kids

I still applaud them on the decision not to edit anything out - little kids probably shouldn't be watching it anyway...
Old 11-11-01, 10:07 PM
Banned

Too "distracting"?? It's was too distracting for me to even watch knowing that I'm missing part of the picture!

Oh well... to me, it just seems like we missed a great opportunity to educate the masses (in the opening speech) on the importance of OAR, but to each his own.
Word! This movie should of been shown in it's OAR!!
Old 11-11-01, 10:09 PM
Banned

Pan and freakin Scam!! Oh well... I'll just watch the first few minutes just cuz it'll be weird seeing this r-rated stuff on network tv.
The only thing in widescreen was the Dreamworks logo, then pan/scan! Since it was not in it's OAR, I watched "The Simpsons" instead!
Old 11-12-01, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only thing in widescreen was the Dreamworks logo
How odd. The only thing to escape the hacking off of the sides is their own damn logo...I wonder why? (NOT)

Last edited by dave955; 11-12-01 at 01:55 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.