Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What does everyone think about reality shows?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-24-01, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a big fan of many of the reality shows on TV like Survivor, Amazing Race, Mole II, and Elimidate. I heard that because of what happened on Sep. 11, people have lost interest in the reality shows, and most of these shows have had poor rattings. I would certainly prefer watching a reality show (I consider them more like game shows than a reality show like Cops) than a crappy sitcom. What does everyone else think? Do you still watch the reality game shows on TV? Which is your favorite?
Old 10-24-01, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like any TV show, I don't care if it's reality, comedy, drama, or two men sitting in a corner staring at a fly on the wall, so long as it's intelligently written and well presented.

If a sit-com is the same derivative nonsense over an over, I won't watch it. The same goes for drama or reality TV. The first Survivor was intelligently presented with some very unique qualities ... you see what happened. Few other shows have shown anything special or different from that. I really enjoyed Tough Enough as well. The characters were very realistic and didn't try to backstab each other or show over emotion or anything else for ratings. It was very realistic.

Shows like Big Brother and Murder in Small Town X and The Real World II-X aren't very realistic to me. They're about overblown people that don't really exist in my real world and don't react like real people would react. Either that or they're just plain boring.

I don't blanketly endorse or condemn any genre of television, and I find it absurd that anyone else would do the same. In answer to your question, I'm all for reality TV ... if it's "real" and compelling. Right now, I don't see anything like that on TV. Survivor III is entertaining enough, but it's certainly not at the same level of the first. And most of the others are (like you said) little more than Double Dare with a bigger budget. If the networks could be counted on to bring us a show that wasn't complete garbage, I'd certainly welcome the next reality show. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon. I do look forward to the next Tough Enough on the off chance that they can repeat the magic.

das
Old 10-24-01, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 629 Likes on 505 Posts
I love Survivor and Cops. I don't follow any of the others, although I might check out Temptation Island 2 if there are hot chicks on it.
Old 10-24-01, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Firstly, the "reality" shows aren't all that real. "Cops" is about the only true reaity show. As for a comparison to a crappy sitcom, well, that seems a bit unfair. Why not compare it to a great sitcom? Who would want to watch a crappy anything?

As for watching them (Survivor, Mole, Big Brother, etc) , I never have. I tuned into the first runs of these shows and was bored to death.

If I want to watch real people bitching, conniving, etc, I'll go out in public. If I want to watch athletic competitions I'll turn on a sporting event. If I want to watch people 'lost', I'll... I wouldn't want to watch that.

The 'reality' show backlash was inevitable. It did huge numbers because no one had ever seen anything like it. Now, they have. And it's getting old. Plus, yeah, i'd say there is something to the Sept. 11th theory and the fact that for 2 weeks people watched real reality on their TV's. Once they digested that, who gets voted off didn't seem too interesting anymore.
Old 10-24-01, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 629 Likes on 505 Posts
Originally posted by BoatDrinks
Firstly, the "reality" shows aren't all that real.

That is a good point. I love Survivor but I think of that as a game show rather than a reality show.
Old 10-24-01, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
So far my life is interesting enough that I have better things to do that do sit and watch other people's "lives" in shows like Big Brother, etc.

I really don't care for them and think they will fade much like The Kryptonite Manuever. <small>Anyone remember that? heh, heh</small>
Old 10-24-01, 09:47 PM

Received 111 Likes on 90 Posts
I can't stand reality shows. I don't know why, but I can not sit through them. I get very bored and think they are ridiculous. I know I am in the minority here, because I am probably the only person on the planet who has not seen an entire episode of Survivor. I tried to watch the premier last season and couldn't get past the first commercial break.
Old 10-24-01, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe most of these are fake and rigged. amazing race has been ok but ecochallenge (if you consider this a reality show) is awesome.
Old 10-25-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I know I am in the minority here, because I am probably the only person on the planet who has not seen an entire episode of Survivor. I tried to watch the premier last season and couldn't get past the first commercial break.
Word. And you are not alone
Old 10-25-01, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as a show has a good concept with a nice hook, I'll watch. It doesn't matter to me if it's reality or not.
Old 10-25-01, 05:39 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts
The only one I have watched is Temptation Island. never bothered or interested in any of the others.
Old 10-25-01, 11:49 PM

I just don't find them entertaining. Many of the contestants are just so disingenuous in an unappealing way. Especially the twentysomething types. Quite frankly I can't see the appeal. Of course I know I like stuff that I am sure no one else could like so I chalk the whole so called reality show phenomenon up to the to each his own syndrom.
Old 10-26-01, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I'm not against them per se, I thought TV was supposed to be about fantasy and things that were larger than life. I don't prefer to spend my 'zone time' watching wannabe pseudo-celebs backstab one another for some piddling prize. I want to see things I couldn't see anywhere else--that's why I love shows like The Simpsons, Twin Peaks, The Sopranos, I Claudius, Star Trek TOS and TNG, Freaks and Geeks, etc.
Old 10-26-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
So called reality shows are far, far from reality.

Professional sports, the Olympics or live shows are far more realistic.

I have seen nothing that has been call "reality" tv that has made me want to watch.
Old 10-26-01, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My total time spent in "reality" shows was maybe a total of ten minutes watching Survivor, it was more than enough.
Old 10-26-01, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are all complete garbage. I think it is amusing that many people actually think these reality shows are "real". They are not.

I hate the fact that oridinary people, who have no talent what-so-ever, get made into to 15 minute celebrities by the media. These people are not great actors...they are chumps, and the public needs to realize this. I work for a local TV affiliate, and believe it or not, my opinions are in the minority. You'd think that people who work in TV would have better taste.