Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Editorial: WWF RAW 3.9 RATING LOWEST SINCE 3/30/98 ...

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-23-01, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Courtesy: Bob Ryder

Updated: 10/23/2001 5:59:40 PM

----------------------------------------------------------

The embarassingly low 3.9 rating generated by last night's RAW is the lowest rating for the program (with the exception of the 3.8 for Christmas night last year) since March 30, 1998 when the show had a 3.8 rating.
Excuses that RAW was up against Monday Night Football and a Yankees playoff game aren't valid. Dozens of similar situations have existed in the past three plus years, not to mention the fact that for most of that time there was also competition with another wrestling show, and ratings never dropped that low.

The March 30, 1998 RAW is significant because it was the RAW that aired the day after Wrestlemania and is widely viewed as the beginning of the dramatic turnaround that saw the WWF eventually overtake and then purchase WCW. On that show, XPac made his return to the WWF after being a part of the NWO and he went on a tirade that attracted the attention of fans who were flipping channels to see what might be happening after the Mike Tyson appearance at Wrestlemania the night before. That show helped establish the famed "WWF Attitude", and suddenly the WWF was rejuvenated.

It's almost inconceivable that an episode of RAW could draw such a low number given the fact that it no longer faces competition from NITRO. The two shows regularly combined for ratings in the 10.0 range, and the WWF has lost 60% of that audience.

With the inept booking on the part of a committee headed by Stephanie McMahon, the WWF has been headed for this disaster for several months. The current creative team shows no signs of being capable of stopping the downward spiral, and fans continue to abandon the product.

Coming off a lackluster PPV and a show that began and ended with a meaningless embrace between Vince and Linda McMahon, the WWF shows no signs that they will be able to recover from this disaster.

Things have now come full circle. After winning the war and destroying their competition, the WWF finds themselves right back where the resurgance began on March 30, 1998.

Shame on the McMahon family for being so arrogant that they ignored the warning signs.
Old 10-23-01, 08:51 PM
Banned

I couldn't have said it better myself. Well done, Bob!

Old 10-23-01, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah i read this earlier in the day, hopefully this wakes vince up
Old 10-23-01, 09:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Blaster1
yeah i read this earlier in the day, hopefully this wakes vince up
Nothing wakes Vince up ...
Old 10-23-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like the WWF's second hey day phase is over. It will rise again, but it might take some time. There was a LOOONNNGGG gap between Wrestlemania III and the second peak in late 1998. I remained faithful to the WWF in its most trying of times, despite rather pathetic products being shoved down my throat. I have been a fan since 1985, and shall remain so until a newer adversary emerges, or I wed Lita, Trish, Torrie Wilson, or Stacy Keibler and have no further reason to watch.
Old 10-23-01, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd like to blame this whole ratings thing on Austin's heel turn, and his complete, annoying overuse of the word "what".
Old 10-23-01, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cartman
I'd like to blame this whole ratings thing on Austin's heel turn, and his complete, annoying overuse of the word "what".
So would I, but I can't.

I blame it on Vince's creedo of doing the opposite of what his father did to him back in the late 70's and early 80's. Vince McMahon Sr. kept Vince McMahon Jr. off of TV, and moreover out of the business, until Sr. gave into Jr. in the early 80's.

Vince McMahon Jr., said he'd always have his kids on TV and running the business in one form or another ...

Thus the problem(s) ...
Old 10-23-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's too bad the WWF has fallen so deeply in love with T-shirt sales and the other merchandising - no one is allowed to really be a genuine heel any more. They SHOULD have let Jericho bash Rocky in the head with that chair Sunday night, and the Dudley Boys SHOULD have been brought in as monsters from day one. Hell, in ECW the Dudley's insulted the crowd to the brink of riot - can you imagine the WWF allowing Buh-Buh to really cut loose just once ?
The McMahon's should also write themselves out of the show ; Austin-vs.-McMahon was a fluke, and they have been trying to repeat it ever since. Let the wrestlers wrestle, and put in an appearance only when it really counts.
Old 10-23-01, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like your points NC-36 . But first of all kick Stephanie out of WWF.She is the one making me watch Japanese Pro- Wrestling.
Old 10-23-01, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Kumar J
But first of all kick Stephanie out of WWF.
From her booking to her writing to her botched breast job to her nail-on-a-chalkboard squeaking voice ...

Kick her ass back to the Accounting Office in New York!
Old 10-23-01, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Soup Nazi

So would I, but I can't.

I blame it on Vince's creedo of doing the opposite of what his father did to him back in the late 70's and early 80's. Vince McMahon Sr. kept Vince McMahon Jr. off of TV, and moreover out of the business, until Sr. gave into Jr. in the early 80's.

Vince McMahon Jr., said he'd always have his kids on TV and running the business in one form or another ...

Thus the problem(s) ...
I wasn't actually serious! (though I do have to turn the channel whenever he comes on to talk now)
Old 10-23-01, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cartman
I wasn't actually serious! (though I do have to turn the channel whenever he comes on to talk now)
Old 10-24-01, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem with the WWF isn't only the booking, it's the complete lack of attitude in the product these days. The WWF had the Dudleys putting innocent ladies through tables - and pursuing certain ones until they could strike. That was cool. They had this wonderful thing called "midcard" angles, like Al Snow's dog being eaten by the Big Bossman. These sorts of things made matches matter and crowds care.

Nowadays, everything is lumped into one big angle, and there's almost nothing on the WWF that is risque.

Nothing, to me, epitomizes the difference between the WWF now and then as much as the changed entrance behavior of wrestlers - when was the last time Austin gave the finger to someone, or X-Pac did a cross-chop - and the increasing scarcity of blade jobs (although RVD is making up for this on his own).

The WWF has botched things before, such as HHH's aborted face turn in the Kurt Angle-Stephanine-HHH triangle angle. How hot was that? Ditto for when Jericho first one the belt, and the decision was vacated. These guys blow it as a matter of routine. I don't know if I could do any better, but I certainly think they make a number of obvious mistakes.
Old 10-24-01, 12:35 AM
Banned

I agree with your post except for this ...

Originally posted by dave955
... when was the last time Austin gave the finger to someone...
During his ring entrance Sunday at No Mercy, Steve stopped to salute a fan (probably a "plant") in the audience ...
Old 10-24-01, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
As already stated. the product is not worth the price.

they don't like to go to the trouble of getting more then one angle going. or one story line going. it does seem that they pull the matches out of there asses now a days and just focus on one major story that isn't worth its watching time for 4 hours a week. and only to be rehashed over and over. its worthless
Old 10-24-01, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
As already stated. the product is not worth the price.

they don't like to go to the trouble of getting more then one angle going. or one story line going. it does seem that they pull the matches out of there asses now a days and just focus on one major story that isn't worth its watching time for 4 hours a week. and only to be rehashed over and over. its worthless
Hence Hooters ...

FREE PPV, and loads of scrumptious tits serving you food ...

Old 10-24-01, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by NC-36
from day one. Hell, in ECW the Dudley's insulted the crowd to the brink of riot - can you imagine the WWF allowing Buh-Buh to really cut loose just once
Anyone remember when he went off on mom and daughter which led to TNN making Paul dump them before they went to air the first show(in the end how ironic).
Old 10-24-01, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The problem is not Shane or Stephanie ... on screen. Who knows who's screwing up behind the scenes, but the characters they've created are no worse than the rest of the product. But the overall product just sucks. The angles are boring, the "wrestling" is bad, and there is no imagination. Pro Wrestling's always been pretty predictable, but where they are now is pathetic. There's absolutely no incentive to watch, and I proudly count myself among the 6.1 share that has left Pro Wrestling. At the first Raw of the month, you can figure out exactly what's going to happen for the next 4-8 weeks and the next two PPVs. It wouldn't be so bad if it were something cool, but I sit around thinking, "oh God, they're not going to let it playout like this ..." and then they do ... month after month.

das
Old 10-24-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Spicollidriver1

Anyone remember when he went off on mom and daughter which led to TNN making Paul dump them before they went to air the first show(in the end how ironic).
I number myself among the lucky few personally insulted by Buh-Buh. At the only ECW house show held in Winston-Salem, he tore up my friend's sign on his way to the ring, then during his opening rant, he pointed right at me and said - well, it wasn't nice
Old 10-25-01, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've always been a heel mark so I've always like them unfortunately ECW didn't come to town until afte rthe dudleys left. I find myself watching my ecw dvds a whole lot more.