DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Angel 10/22/01 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/152698-angel-10-22-01-a.html)

Patman 10-22-01 08:05 PM

Angel 10/22/01

OMG! That opening bit between Cordy and Wesley was so funny!

CaptainMarvel 10-22-01 08:41 PM

Re: Angel 10/22/01

Originally posted by Patman
OMG! That opening bit between Cordy and Wesley was so funny!
Spoiler:
"I love you so much I forgot to brood."

rotfl

Patman 10-22-01 09:00 PM

Oh man, I hate it when they toy with us! I found the character interaction the high point for this episode, regardless of the immediate threat facing the crew.

Spoiler:
I was a little worried that Fred's parents would turn out to be baddies, but was relieved to find out they were pretty normal, even if they rented out Fred's room after the 4th year of her disappearance. Fred is so adorable. While Wesley is the "smarts" of the group, his talent lies more in research, moreso than Fred, who's able to make those deductive leaps using logic, something that Wesley isn't as good at. It was cool to see Fred's mom get into the act. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree. Am glad Fred's sticking around, she brings a sense o levity that is needed for the show.

milo bloom 10-22-01 10:01 PM

I've still got a funny feeling though that there's something else behind Fred's parents. Like who exactly tracked down Fred to Angel Investigations. They did say they were staying in town for awhile so maybe we'll see them again.

Cordy and Wesley's bit was LOL, and so was that line about "dozing off during the fourth one" Good to see Joss has a sense of humor.

spainlinx0 10-22-01 10:30 PM

Wow this show gets funnier and funnier. I do wonder about the parents as well, but I guess all that worrying was just a red herring to throw us off. Still, what was up with Lorne then? Why would he say she didn't run far enough?

MrN 10-23-01 01:08 AM

I'll bet all you Fred fans got quite a scare huh? I thought they were pulling another Doyle (sp?)

I wouldn't say I'm a Fred fan, but I'm glad she's gonna stick around.

Good to see the Host back. Didn't like Angel being a Dork - someone's gotta stay serious! Maybe he was trying to loosen up after that line about 'love you so much, forgot to brood.'

Another great episode.

HN 10-23-01 02:42 AM

Originally posted by MrN
I'll bet all you Fred fans got quite a scare huh? I thought they were pulling another Doyle (sp?)
damn right! :)

Lorne: "I've got a heart, given
Spoiler:
it's located in my left butt cheek
but it's still a heart." :D

--HN

das Monkey 10-23-01 07:39 AM

I lost it on the 'forgot to brood' line. That was way too funny.

This episode was insanely predictable, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I love the way Joss is handling the crossover problems. He can't bring Buffy to WB or Angel to UPN, so he has them meet in between at 'a special place'. Then, instead of showing that meeting, he shows Cordy and Wesley doing their impression of what would have happened had we gotten to see it. Wonderful stuff. How funny would it be if Spike and Dawn or Anya and Xander do the same thing tonight?

das

Wizdar 10-23-01 10:45 AM

LOVED the Buffy/Angel act between Cordy and Wesley.

And,
Spoiler:
"How 'bout you both bite me?"

:lol:

There's something about Fred. I would think that her prattling on about Angel would be irritating me by now, but it is just “so cute.” And usually I detest cute.

I am, though, getting a bit tired of the “goofy” Angel. Maybe it’s part of a personality change that I’m going to have to get used to. But I like the brooding guy better.

Looking forward to Buffy to see how “they” handle the meeting.

khieng 10-23-01 11:10 AM

This is so frustrating! So far I've managed to miss this whole season. :(

Draven 10-23-01 11:40 AM

Very funny ep. I still hate Fred, but it was funny stuff. And good continuity between Lorne and Gunn, it makes sense there would be tension there.

Cordy killed me with the "going home and having a good cry" comments. Too funny.

And let's just stop the spoiler tags for a thread that's obviously based on the episode. If you click on this thread, you deserve to be spoiled. It's too hard to read as it is :)

Wizdar 10-23-01 12:35 PM

Originally posted by draven-x
And let's just stop the spoiler tags for a thread that's obviously based on the episode. If you click on this thread, you deserve to be spoiled. It's too hard to read as it is :)
Truth be told, I don't open a thread like this until after I've seen it (and I'm on the Left Coast, so there's a 3 hour disadvantage). But that's just me.

Some folks get cranky if there's no [spoilers] in the thread title.

Patman 10-23-01 01:28 PM

I put in the spoiler protection if I post on east coast time, and know that the west coasters haven't seen the episode yet at the time of my posting. It's the humane thing to do. :)

das Monkey 10-23-01 01:45 PM

I put in the spoiler protection if I post on east coast time, and know that the west coasters haven't seen the episode yet at the time of my posting. It's the humane thing to do. :)
And I'll continue to assert that if you're on the West Coast and you open a dated thread, you should know what you're getting in to. I usually have to record Band of Brothers and watch it a few days later, so I know to avoid a thread called "Band of Brothers 10/21/01" if I haven't seen the 10/21/01 episode yet. Seems like common sense. The SPOILER tag should be used for an unexpected spoiler, like a thread called just "Angel" or "Buffy on FX" or something that doesn't directly state what episode is being discussed. Dating a thread directly implies that the content of the thread is a discussion of that specific episode. Filling the thread with SPOILER tags is just overkill IMO.

das

dstrauss 10-23-01 01:48 PM

The episode was called "Fredless."

Loved this exchange:

CORDELIA
And voila! That's French for, "I
think we stopped the bleeding."

FRED
Thanks, Cordelia.

CORDELIA
Next up -- multiple stab wounds.
(calling over)
Angel!

ANGEL
Ooh! My turn!

He darts to the couch. Cor rolls her eyes affectionately.

CORDELIA
What a dork.

Wizdar 10-23-01 01:58 PM

Originally posted by dstrauss
CORDELIA
What a dork.

Yah, that's what I was thinking, too. I'm not used to Angel being a dork.

das, I'm in total agreement. But when some DIPWAD wanders into a thread like this, what's the PC way of saying,

"Hey, DIPSH!T! WTF are you doing in this thread if you haven't seen the episode?!?"

Thank you. [John Aston (Night Court)] I'm feeling MUCH better now! [/goofy look]

OK. I'm on board. No more spoiler blocking from me.

Slumbering Fist 10-23-01 03:33 PM

Wow! an episode with lots of Fred that I was... kinda' lukewarm on. It was fine, but so predictable I was itching in my seat for something unexpected to happen and it never really did.

On Angel being a dork- Funny, in the 'Buffy's Back' E! special, Boreanez said how the fans had been telling him they wanted Angel to "lighten up", so its no suprise they have let him do so after nearly an entire season of being bad. No doubt the baby and
Spoiler:
Vampire Hunter
complications that will arise in the coming weeks will bring some darkness to his mood, so maybe they are being goofy while they can.

So Lorne says she didnt run far enough, yet shes sticking around huh?....Hmmmmnnnn?

Fred's "Row, row, row your boat" was my favorite bit of the episode. Too damn cute.

Patman 10-24-01 03:20 PM

One more thing: In this episode, they are hinting that Wesley has the hots for Fred. Wesley's reaction to Fred announcing that she was leaving hit him kind of hard, but he was trying to hide his disappointment. Did anyone else pick up on this?

Wizdar 10-24-01 03:32 PM

So, you'll go for a Wesley-has-the-hots-for-Fred thing, but not a Giles-has-the-hots-for-Buffy thing? :grunt:

I'll probably watch it again tomorrow night, so I'll keep an eye out.

Slumbering Fist 10-24-01 03:37 PM

One more thing: In this episode, they are hinting that Wesley has the hots for Fred. Wesley's reaction to Fred announcing that she was leaving hit him kind of hard, but he was trying to hide his disappointment. Did anyone else pick up on this?
I didnt quite get the same insinuation, but that doesnt mena it wasnt there. They do seem to be doing quite a bit, hinting between Angel and both Cordy and Fred, but then have Cordy throw a curve by remaining staunch on her "Don't get frisky with Angel" policy, applying, one assumes, not only to Fred but herself. I always figured that the reason Fred was included in the cast would be for some romantic interest, either between her and Angel or her and Wesley, with Angel being the stronger candidate.

Patman 10-24-01 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Wizdar
So, you'll go for a Wesley-has-the-hots-for-Fred thing, but not a Giles-has-the-hots-for-Buffy thing? :grunt:

I'll probably watch it again tomorrow night, so I'll keep an eye out.

The age difference between Giles and Buffy would put me off on that sort of relationship.

Wesley and Fred are of similar ages, within a decade at worst. Plus, they are both bookworms. :)

Patman 10-24-01 03:44 PM

Originally posted by Slumbering Fist

I didnt quite get the same insinuation, but that doesnt mena it wasnt there. They do seem to be doing quite a bit, hinting between Angel and both Cordy and Fred, but then have Cordy throw a curve by remaining staunch on her "Don't get frisky with Angel" policy, applying, one assumes, not only to Fred but herself. I always figured that the reason Fred was included in the cast would be for some romantic interest, either between her and Angel or her and Wesley, with Angel being the stronger candidate.

I've watched the episode twice, and it's there. Just watch Wesley's reaction. The man was crushed. I doubt Fred and Angel will ever be anything more than puppy love. The writers closed that door when they had Fred paint over her drawing of her and Angel on horseback in the final scene of the that episode.

MrN 10-24-01 04:03 PM

I caught that - esp. when Wesley takes a 'vote' on letting Fred stay with them.

Patman 10-24-01 05:36 PM

Ah, yeah, Wesley's vote was a pretty hasty one as well, showing his exuberance for Fred staying with them. Heh.

junkie 10-24-01 06:23 PM

About the whole Angel being a dork thing this is not the first time he has done something like this. I think it was during the first season that they showed him dancing at a party and it was funny.